Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

tharmor wrote: »
    Even if its smokeless ? It says smokeless and golden flame :p !!
    http://www.takepart.com/article/2015/10/14/greenpeace-buy-power-plants

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

Appreciate that but its listed on BNM site...attaching picture...just want to ensure i am not using anything illegal...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Invincible

Appreciate that but its listed on BNM site...attaching picture...just want to ensure i am not using anything illegal...

What offer are you getting on that stove fuel?

Invincible wrote:
    What offer are you getting on that stove fuel?

Its 10 eur for 20kg bag...its for stove and open fire...i know its costly than buying in bulk...but I am a small open fire user....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Over the last 2 years I have tried all types of coal in my Stanley stove.

It's tempting to fall for 40kg bags of "cheap coal" when you see them for (€10-€12)

What I would say is this....when it comes to buying coal, you defiinitely get what you pay for.

I've tried everything from cheap 40kg bags of union nuggets (€11) which were absolutely crap, to bags of Ecobrite (€19) which are superb.

I took a gamble last year and bought a tonne of ovoids from the coal warehouse.

I can't remember exactly but it worked out about €11 or €12 per 40 kg bag, because I bought a tonne.

They are absolutely fantastic. I'd go so far as to say they are as good, if not better, than the Ecobrite I had been buying locally for €19 per 40kg bag

I can't recommend this coal enough. A small bucket is enough to heat the house for 2 whole days, very little ash and SUPERB heat. I will continue to buy it by the tonne from the coal warehouse.

Yep agree. The ovoids are the best, last for ages and the heat is unreal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,452 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i buy supertherm but it seems to have a lot of ash lately. any other suggestions , i have a stove.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

irishgeo wrote: »
    i buy supertherm but it seems to have a lot of ash lately. any other suggestions , i have a stove.

smokeless ovoids, very little ash

Guys thr are some traditional fire logs in Lidl 10kg for 4 bucks....anyone ever used them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Bif

Phurnacite.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭2forjoy

smokeless ovoids, very little ash

All ovoids can look the same ,supertherm , ecobrite , phurnacite etc it all looks the same .

Ostrich eggs , duck eggs , chicken eggs .

Watch out though , cos the ingredients are different in them all . the only thing they have in common is that they are all smokeless ovoids. ( or so it says on the tin )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭deandean

Guys thr are some traditional fire logs in Lidl 10kg for 4 bucks....anyone ever used them ?

No, and I wouldn't be buying wood at 400 euro per tonne.

deandean wrote:
    No, and I wouldn't be buying wood at 400 euro per tonne.

Anyway they are ****e.... too much moisture...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

I'm getting Golden Glow "small coal" Columbian doubles for €15 for a 40kg bag from local fuel merchants, does that seem like a good price? I don't really use the fire enough to need/want to order 25 bags at a time, I use less than a bag a week when I'm home and I'm away a lot but I'd rather not be ripped off when I do buy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭screamer

Yes I've noticed this too loads of ash not so much heat . We bought some bord na mona ovoids seem a bit better but 2 euro dearer per bag. TBH oil is so cheap now coal is a false economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 loulou87

I've just started using the open fire in grandmothers old house.
    It's quite a big fireplace.
    Only way I can get any heat and the fire to last is light a bord na mona fire log for an hour then I add about 8 briquettes in a sort of wig wam around it.
    It's very expensive though!!
    Would love a cheaper option!
    It's costing about €4 an hour to use the fire :)
    Really love an open fire though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

loulou87 wrote: »
    Only way I can get any heat and the fire to last is light a bord na mona fire log for an hour then I add about 8 briquettes in a sort of wig wam around it.

Coal burns a lot hotter than firelogs which give no heat at all or briquettes which aren't much better and burn up quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Put a stove in front of that fire and be the holy you won't know the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,918 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

The smokeless coal I'm using is very sparky and doesn't give great heat (not sure what it is exactly, mix of big blocks and smaller lumps that look more like regular coal - its all the local petrol station sells). What's the best alternative for an open fire, we just use it to heat the room, no boiler?

I've seen some recommendations for CosyGlo but there seem to be a few different brands of the this (BnM, Arigna...) are they all the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

loyatemu wrote: »
    The smokeless coal I'm using is very sparky and doesn't give great heat (not sure what it is exactly, mix of big blocks and smaller lumps that look more like regular coal - its all the local petrol station sells). What's the best alternative for an open fire, we just use it to heat the room, no boiler?

I've seen some recommendations for CosyGlo but there seem to be a few different brands of the this (BnM, Arigna...) are they all the same?

http://www.fogartysquikpick.ie/products.php?supplier-id=7&cat=13

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭raemie10

I live in a small little cottage that I imagine is over a hundred or more years old.
    I've just started using the open fire this week in the hope that it would help heat the open plan living/dining area...
    I bought the BnM Fire logs which burn lovely but give no heat. So I went to woodies today and bought a bag of a BnM lignite coal..
    I don't know if I got a dud bag but the coal in the bag is wet?! And the bag is leaking a bit of black liquid....
    It took forever to light and looks nice but gives no heat...
    I think I'm going to give up!
    And just wear a few extra layers :(

• Advertisement

Id say the bags took a drowning somewhere.

I used to burn coal in an open fire. The draught of the chimney was strong and fires didn't last long meaning I burned a good amount of fuel. Heat wasn't good either.

I then began using a small Stanley Oisin stove. I couldn't believe the difference. A MASSIVE increase in heat and burning far less.

I strongly advise fitting a stove into the open fire. The amount if heat list up the chimney is frightening. It is nor too expensive but it will pay for itself in time and heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭raemie10

TheTorment wrote: »
    Id say the bags took a drowning somewhere.

I used to burn coal in an open fire. The draught of the chimney was strong and fires didn't last long meaning I burned a good amount of fuel. Heat wasn't good either.

I then began using a small Stanley Oisin stove. I couldn't believe the difference. A MASSIVE increase in heat and burning far less.

I strongly advise fitting a stove into the open fire. The amount if heat list up the chimney is frightening. It is nor too expensive but it will pay for itself in time and heat.

I'm only renting the place and moving out in April so won't be installing a stove :)
    Really annoyed at the coal. It has dripped wet black stuff over the floor and boot of the car and it's impossible to clean. Each nugget is wet too... I wasn't sure if 'lignite' coal is meant to be damp!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

raemie10 wrote: »
    I live in a small little cottage that I imagine is over a hundred or more years old.
    I've just started using the open fire this week in the hope that it would help heat the open plan living/dining area...
    I bought the BnM Fire logs which burn lovely but give no heat. So I went to woodies today and bought a bag of a BnM lignite coal..
    I don't know if I got a dud bag but the coal in the bag is wet?! And the bag is leaking a bit of black liquid....
    It took forever to light and looks nice but gives no heat...
    I think I'm going to give up!
    And just wear a few extra layers :(

Lignite is the same as briquettes from the point of view of energy content and 60-70% of that energy goes up the chimney with a regular fireplace. If you really want an open fire feel you can fit a convector or better still just fit a stove. Best solution when you're renting is move.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

ecograte , ive one ..they work

https://www.facebook.com/EcoGrate/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,918 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

ecograte , ive one ..they work

https://www.facebook.com/EcoGrate/

seriously ugly though, and not much cheaper than a stove.

raemie10 wrote:
    I live in a small little cottage that I imagine is over a hundred or more years old. I've just started using the open fire this week in the hope that it would help heat the open plan living/dining area... I bought the BnM Fire logs which burn lovely but give no heat. So I went to woodies today and bought a bag of a BnM lignite coal.. I don't know if I got a dud bag but the coal in the bag is wet?! And the bag is leaking a bit of black liquid.... It took forever to light and looks nice but gives no heat... I think I'm going to give up! And just wear a few extra layers

I got the same and burns very well...probably a wet bag u got....

Over the last 2 years I have tried all types of coal in my Stanley stove.

It's tempting to fall for 40kg bags of "cheap coal" when you see them for (€10-€12)

What I would say is this....when it comes to buying coal, you defiinitely get what you pay for.

I've tried everything from cheap 40kg bags of union nuggets (€11) which were absolutely crap, to bags of Ecobrite (€19) which are superb.

I took a gamble last year and bought a tonne of ovoids from the coal warehouse.

I can't remember exactly but it worked out about €11 or €12 per 40 kg bag, because I bought a tonne.

They are absolutely fantastic. I'd go so far as to say they are as good, if not better, than the Ecobrite I had been buying locally for €19 per 40kg bag

I can't recommend this coal enough. A small bucket is enough to heat the house for 2 whole days, very little ash and SUPERB heat. I will continue to buy it by the tonne from the coal warehouse.

I took your advice on this coal. Ordered 13 ovoids and 12 polish Monday and delivered yesterday. Fired ovoids only into the stove yesterday evening. I only put half the usual bucket in. Heat was brilliant. Rads were hopping. Very happy.

No idea about the ash left over until I empty this evening. Glass stayed clean all night.
    Thanks for the tip

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

I have a small stove, not connected to heating/boiler, so would these ovoids be suitable, used with wood? Do the OVOIDS have a 'brand' name of any sort. I use ecobrite at the moment and they're OK, but always willing to try something (possibly) better!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

iora_rua wrote: »
    I have a small stove, not connected to heating/boiler, so would these ovoids be suitable, used with wood? Do the OVOIDS have a 'brand' name of any sort. I use ecobrite at the moment ..they're OK, but always willing to try something (possibly) better!

Yes go for the ovoids but be warned a pallet will last you well over a year if you only have a non boiler stove....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭spongbob

I am buying a 40 kg bag of polish coal once a week it's costing 17.50 a bag. Could I do any better ?

Advertisement