Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

Are there any health risk with burning coal in an open fire? I recall reading an article that listed increase of lung disease, including lung cancer in houses with an open fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭2forjoy

xabi wrote: »
    Are there any health risk with burning coal in an open fire? I recall reading an article that listed increase of lung disease, including lung cancer in houses with an open fire.
    The burning of smoky coal releases PM2.5 particles into the environment. In built up areas, as well as in private houses, these can become quite concentrated, and have a detrimental effect on health.
    PM2.5 gets deep into the lungs and into the bloodstream, where it is carried around the body. Other toxic substances present in coal are cadmium, arsenic and mercury

source : www.corkcoco.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭josephsoap

2forjoy wrote: »

I presume burning coal in a stove eliminates most of these risks?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

josephsoap wrote: »

Perhaps for the householder but not the external environment and anyway you MUST NOT burn regular coal in a stove.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

josephsoap wrote: »
    Life is a risk everything in moderation ......

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 182 ✭✭bruno1x

This kind of thinking always stuns me, no doubt those who think like this smoke like a chimney, drink gallons of alcohol each and every week, eats junk food and are obese.
    They should say at home freezing under a blanket and eat only carrots, it a dangerous world out there.
    God only knows how humans have survived for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭CH3OH

bruno1x wrote: »
    They should say at home freezing under a blanket and eat only carrots, .

http://www.livestrong.com/article/286531-side-effects-of-eating-too-many-carrots/ðŸ˜

What do people recommend for burning in an open fire in a smokeless zone?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Jaysus from Bargain Alert to Cancer Alert

Well that escalated quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭raemie10

I see Tesco have a special offer on Bord na Mona briquettes and air dried logs..

Bord Na Mona Peat Briquettes
    Special Offer2 For 8.00 Save 1.98
    valid from 11/1/2016 until 31/1/2016

Bnam Eco Frendly Air Dried Logs 10 Pack
    Special OfferAny 2 For 8.00 Save 1.98

With an open fire in a very cold room which would provide more heat?!?!?

ALDI have those briquettes at 3.99 for months

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

shop around, handy enough find briquettes for 3.60 ish

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭brandonviewer

Posted last Friday 5 bales for €18 in b&q. €3.60 a pop

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Perhaps for the householder but not the external environment and anyway you MUST NOT burn regular coal in a stove.

Why can't you use regular coal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

Why can't you use regular coal?

You can but its more corrosive and eats the stove inside, grates baffles etc faster than smokeless

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

for insert stove, use smokeless ovoids, last ages, little ash, great heat

Any particular brand? I keep changing fuel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

You can but its more corrosive and eats the stove inside, grates baffles etc faster than smokeless

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭screamer

damian139 wrote: »

What have you used so far?
    Brands I have used are:
    - Ecobrite from Arigna easy to light, used to be great, but found they don't give out as much heat as they used to.
    - Supertherm from CPL fuels, take a bit more to get them to light up, similar to Ecobrite, used to be better than they are now for heat. Good for overnight burning, but LOTS of ash- average burn time from a big bucket of it about 3 to 4 hours
    - Stoveheat from CPL fuels, easy to light, smaller in size than any of the others. Seems to not last as well in the stove when burning, and we'd be putting in loads to top it up during the evening. Overnight burning not great.
    - Cosyglo from Bord Na Mona- more expensive than the other 2, I think 20.50 per bag is what I pay for these. Takes a bit to light them up, are warmer burning than either Ecobrite or Supertherm. Not as good for overnight burning, you won't have as much residual heat the next morning as Supertherm, but you also won't have half the ash to deal with- average burn time from a big bucket of it about 3 to 4 hours

I have a massive stove, and a big enough house and it heats the rads, the water, the rooms without any oil secondary system or anything.

TBH, the only way to know what to use, is to compare. People saying this brand is great, or that one, who knows, I like my smokeless to burn hot and keep me nice and toasty, it's expensive enough without having crappy smokeless that might be cheaper but takes twice as much to produce the same output.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Thanks for that, your effort is much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

damian139 wrote: »

Not sure of brand, but they are shaped like a large egg, goose size. By ' screamers description', same as cosyglo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

In terms of particulate matter peat burning produces almost twice as much particulate matter in the home as coal and three times as much as wood. 1

Smokey coal on the other hand brings other nasty things like Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs), methylated PAHs, and heterocyclic aromatic compounds etc. etc.

A chinese cohort study mentioned earlier in this thread gives a very extreme example of smokey vs smokeless coal - in China where people were lifelong users of smokey or smokeless coal, including cooking (often over firepits until 40/50 years ago).

"The absolute risks of lung cancer death before 70 years of age for men and women using smoky coal were 18% and 20%, respectively, compared with less than 0.5% among smokeless coal users of both sexes. Lung cancer alone accounted for about 40% of all deaths before age 60 among individuals using smoky coal." 2

Thats up to 40 times more lightly to die from lung cancer alone with smokey coal.

Now obviously its not the equivalent of the average irish house with an open fire but you can see why smokey coal presents such an issue in urban areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

In terms of particulate matter peat burning produces almost twice as much particulate matter in the home as coal and three times as much as wood. 1

Smokey coal on the other hand brings other nasty things like Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs), methylated PAHs, and heterocyclic aromatic compounds etc. etc.

A chinese cohort study mentioned earlier in this thread gives a very extreme example of smokey vs smokeless coal - in China where people were lifelong users of smokey or smokeless coal, including cooking (often over firepits until 40/50 years ago).

"The absolute risks of lung cancer death before 70 years of age for men and women using smoky coal were 18% and 20%, respectively, compared with less than 0.5% among smokeless coal users of both sexes. Lung cancer alone accounted for about 40% of all deaths before age 60 among individuals using smoky coal." 2

Thats up to 40 times more lightly to die from lung cancer alone with smokey coal.

Now obviously its not the equivalent of the average irish house with an open fire but you can see why smokey coal presents such an issue in urban areas.

Comparing China with Ireland is nonesense. Chalk and Cheese. The China those reports refer to is urban China which bears no comparision to Ireland, which is a tiny dot on the western periphary of Europe. And its where a predominately western wind blows for most of the year. This dissipates the waste from smokey coal. The vast majority of lung cancer deaths in Ireland has been caused by tobacco smoking, no coal dust ingestion. I doubt very much that there are statistics showng the number of lung cancer deaths caused by smokey coal. I cannot find them and I suspect the number is infintismal.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

How many bags fit on a pallet lads? Is 36 go on one?

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

beertons wrote: »
    How many bags fit on a pallet lads? Is 36 go on one?

25x 40kg bags or 40x 25kg bags. They'll only put a tonne (1000kg) on a pallet. They'll send a pallet with a mix of both but youll probably have to get 2 pallets if it goes over.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭2forjoy

25x 40kg bags or 40x 25kg bags. They'll only put a tonne (1000kg) on a pallet. They'll send a pallet with a mix of both but youll probably have to get 2 pallets if it goes over.

But first you will ring a courier company to organise delivery and you break the law

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

But first you will ring a courier company to organise delivery and you break the law

That's what happens when they make silly laws but I'm sure Beerton is travelling down with it anyway so it doesn't matter.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Hush you and go to sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭ford4610

Did anyone else have the same problem as i had with the coal warehouse, I did not receive 25 bags on a pallet as i was suppose to. I was short 5 bags.

ford4610 wrote: »
    Did anyone else have the same problem as i had with the coal warehouse, I did not receive 25 bags on a pallet as i was suppose to. I was short 5 bags.

Nope.
    Ive made 4 pallet orders now and never once was left short.

No probs here either. Give them a call and they'll sort it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

ford4610 wrote: »

I was short 1 bag, but they refunded me the amount after calling them

Advertisement