Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

My coal actually arrived today like I wanted although I was told it'd be Wednesday. luckily it did arrive today when I was off work as the delivery driver only called when he was 10 minutes away

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Ordered Friday delivered Monday. Sorted. Got the 10 minute call too, lucky I was here. But great job all round. Small bags much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Not being able to guarantee the delivery day is a big problem for me unless they can deliver over a weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Discodog wrote: »
    Not being able to guarantee the delivery day is a big problem for me unless they can deliver over a weekend.

They don't deliver at the weekend unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Getting a neighbour to take in a parcel is one thing but a tonne of coal :) ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭N365

Could anyone please explain the whole process of buying this coal and getting it delivered in one post? I'm going back through posts trying to piece it together..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

N365 wrote: »
    Could anyone please explain the whole process of buying this coal and getting it delivered in one post? I'm going back through posts trying to piece it together..

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1033313890116167&id=658154320965461&__tn__=%2As

Then call +44 28 8774 0911

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

N365 wrote: »

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=100548656&postcount=911

From ROI This should be 048 instead of 028

Sorry My mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Ordered 1000kg of smokeless ovoids from Kosyking today. €370 delivered. All arranged online.

Will update how it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭lenscap

Tzardine wrote: »
    Ordered 1000kg of smokeless ovoids from Kosyking today. €370 delivered. All arranged online.

Will update how it goes.

I used their smokeless ovoids coal last winter and found it great. So I ordered again this year and they delivered on the day I ask for.

I am interested in your opinion of their coal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Will update how it goes.

Good to hear that they deliver to Craggy Island.

Cape Clear wrote: »

Good to hear that they deliver to Craggy Island.

They do indeed.

Thankfully before they take the roads in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

They do indeed.

Thankfully before they take the roads in.

That's mad Ted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Will update how it goes.

From what I can see Kosyking is cheaper than Coal Warehouse for the Ovoids?

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    From what I can see Kosyking is cheaper than Coal Warehouse for the Ovoids?

Maybe so. I cant seems to find the price for them on Coal Warehouse.

The delivery is cheaper, just €23 per pallet with KosyKing. And you dont have to mess about organising it yourself with the courier.

I asked them to deliver on Monday so will see how we go.

Isn't the coal warehouse €350 including delivery for ovoids when you take away the €20 discount due to the exchange

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Lanshane

Quote: Cape Clear
    How much is the freight charge? Is it better to pay for it in Stg or €. I paid €360 last year for a ton of ovoids including dlv.

Yes pay in sterling . I paid €334.47 for a tonne of ovoids delivered this week . Delivery was £51.6, which converted to €61.29.

See above for what I paid for a tonne of ovoids delivered 2 weeks ago from Coal Island. €334.47! Beat that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭FreshCoffee

I was looking for a deal on briquettes but Coal Warehouse don't list them. However KosyKing were mentioned above and they do have briquettes on their website:
    www.kosyking.com/domestic-fuel-wholesale-coal-products/Kiln-Dried-Hardwood-timber?product_id=100

As they are not Bord na Mona briquettes I have no idea if they are any good? Has anyone had any experience of them? I would be using them in an open fire. I was thinking of trying a pallet along with a pallet of hard wood.

I have used Kosykings briquettes last year. They are Eastern European peat briquettes. I found then a little harder to light when starting a fire but once the fire was going the briquettes burned very well and would burn overnight in my stove when I turned it right down. They were still glowing red the next morning.

The bale is slightly smaller than the BNM briquettes. I think it's 20 compared to 22 briquettes per bale. Still a ton is a ton regardless of the bale size. Kosykings briquettes came plastic wrapped which I found cleaner and easeir for handling.

Regarding hard wood I have tried olive wood from Greenfuels in Galway. It burns like coal, I kid you not. I tried out their "all night long" hardwood briquette and their olive wood and I was so impressed with both I ordered half a ton of each which they put onto one pallet and delivered the same day (from Galway to Sligo). That's hard to beat

• Advertisement

What's the price difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭chickenlittle

150 pounds for 48 bales of briquettes inc delivery, this works out at €3.68 a bale.

Got my delivery this morning (which was the day I asked for) from KosyKing.

Received 10 min call from the driver. He came in a fairly large curtain sided truck with a tail lift. He had an electric pallet truck.

I have a pretty long gravel drive so the driver had to leave the pallet on the roaside. (Which I expected). He asked me if I wanted a few empty pallets he had which was good of him.

I unloaded the pallet and dumped the coal inside the gate. Had to bring them up to the shed from there. To say I am wrecked now is an understatement. Thank God for the 20kg bags.

Very happy with the service from KosyKing. I will report back on the coal once I start using it.

20160912_105917.jpg
    20160912_113817.jpg
    20160912_113824_169622.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

.... He had an electric pallet truck.

With a flat drive like yours I'd have asked the driver if he could have driven his pallet tucks up the drive.

my3cents wrote: »
    With a flat drive like yours I'd have asked the driver if he could have driven his pallet tucks up the drive.

He tried, it got stuck about 1cm in :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

He tried, it got stuck about 1cm in :mad:

Of course he did. Electric pallet trucks can weigh a tonne all by themselves, add another tonne weighing down on about 8 sq.cm area solid wheel on a gravel surface and there's usually only one result. :eek:

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Of course he did. Electric pallet trucks can weigh a tonne all by themselves, add another tonne weighing down on about 8 sq.cm area solid wheel on a gravel surface and there's usually only one result. :eek:

Yeah I didnt expect it to work much. He was trying to get it inside the gate at least for me. But it dug in immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭FreshCoffee

lenscap wrote: »
    I have used Kosykings briquettes last year. They are Eastern European peat briquettes. I found then a little harder to light when starting a fire but once the fire was going the briquettes burned very well and would burn overnight in my stove when I turned it right down. They were still glowing red the next morning.

The bale is slightly smaller than the BNM briquettes. I think it's 20 compared to 22 briquettes per bale. Still a ton is a ton regardless of the bale size. Kosykings briquettes came plastic wrapped which I found cleaner and easeir for handling.

Regarding hard wood I have tried olive wood from Greenfuels in Galway. It burns like coal, I kid you not. I tried out their "all night long" hardwood briquette and their olive wood and I was so impressed with both I ordered half a ton of each which they put onto one pallet and delivered the same day (from Galway to Sligo). That's hard to beat

Thanks lenscap. Thats useful information.

The one ton pallet of KosyKing briquettes delivered works out about €300.
    However I can get a pallet of 128 bales of BnM briquettes delivered here in Dublin for €520. The BnM bales are 12.5kg so the pallet is 1.6 tons which is approx. equivalent to €325 per ton. Have to decide if the €25 KosyKing saving is worth it? Have you any thoughts on the amount of ash produced by KosyKing briquettes? I find the BnM briquettes are producing a lot of ash.

The Olive Wood sounds very interesting and I will follow up on it. Sounds like it might be a good alternative to using smokeless coal in an open fire.

Thanks again.

Your are welcome FreshCoffee.

From what I can remember, the Kosyking peat briquettes produced about the same ash as the BNM ones.

Do try the olive wood. I didn't believe it until I tried it. I remember one log burned for nearly 4 hours. ( in a backboiler stove).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pacino

Quick question - Do I ring Coal Warehouse first and then courier?
    Thank You

Advertisement