Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

pacino wrote: »
    Quick question - Do I ring Coal Warehouse first and then courier?
    Thank You

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭reaper180

pacino wrote: »
    Quick question - Do I ring Coal Warehouse first and then courier?
    Thank You
    Yep order through coal warehouse and then send email to Liam connolly freight.I ordered around lunch time today and sent email to Liam connolly .just waiting for him to get back to me

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pacino

Thank you for the replies...

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭machu

Is there another contact number for coal warehouse? I am trying 048 8774 0911
    which has a constant engaged tone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

vicwatson wrote: »
    2 pages back, call 028 8774 0911 from Irish Republic

You need the code 048 to ring from the south! So 04887740911 is correct. I rang earlier. Took a few attempts as it was engaged. They increased the Ovid's price in sterling from 230 to 235 a ton. I enquired if there was anyone else apart from Liam Connolly to transport the coal. They gave me a number for Trevor warde in newry. Rang them and they said it would cost 60 euro to deliver a pallet down south. So roughly same price as Liam Connolly but may be quicker. Tel no 04830263381.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Apologies the 048 is correct - post deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Bif

Just to say I have recently had a tonne of ovoids delivered from Coal Warehouse (excellent service) for use in my stove and they appear to be working out very well. I would say, in my experience, they are better than Ecobrite and as good, if not better, than Phurnacite ovoids. Thanks to all for the tips and help with this... about €180 saved.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

Bif wrote: »
    Just to say I have recently had a tonne of ovoids delivered from Coal Warehouse (excellent service) for use in my stove and they appear to be working out very well. I would say, in my experience, they are better than Ecobrite and as good, if not better, than Phurnacite ovoids. Thanks to all for the tips and help with this... about €180 saved.

What was the total price including delivery bif? Also is there much 'Dust' from the Ovoids? Is there much smoke off it? Finally, is there much Ash or unburnt coal left in the ash tray?

I've never used the Ovoids yet so was wondering if they differ much from 'normal' Coal??

Salmon wrote: »
    What was the total price including delivery bif? Also is there much 'Dust' from the Ovoids? Is there much smoke off it? Finally, is there much Ash or unburnt coal left in the ash tray?

I've never used the Ovoids yet so was wondering if they differ much from 'normal' Coal??

1. Worked out about €340.
    2. Very little dust involved in my opinion.
    3. No, but have only used in a stove.
    4. No compared to some other fuels but much the same compared to other ovoid's.

Big difference is they take a while to start producing heat but then produce heat for a long time with a slow burn. They wouldn't produce flames like normal coal but glow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭homingbird

Big difference is they take a while to start producing heat but then produce heat for a long time with a slow burn. They wouldn't produce flames like normal coal but glow.
    Do you burn timber with them to keep them going & do you have to stoke them much to keep a blaze in them burning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

I need to order another tonne of ovoids guys

Can anyone tell me who is the cheapest including delivery:

1) coal warehouse (I have sent them a message requesting a price)

2) Kozyking

3) Coal Island (does anyone have a link to them?)

cheers fellas

• Registered Users Posts: 4,120 ✭✭✭bigroad

Coal warehouse are on facebook and they are located in Coalisland NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

How much would a 20Kg bag of Ovoids cost here?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,545 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Anyone use McCann's Coal
    in Dungannon Tyrone?

€250 for ovoids and around €60 for delivery by Liam Connelly
    sounds very cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

1. Worked out about 340.

I have never bought a 20kg bag, but a 40 kilo bag is usually 20-23 euro

You can't really use a 20kg bag as a starting point because they are sold at a premium price at places like garages. A 40kg bag is normally much cheaper to buy and imo you'd be lucky to get a bag less than €20 so at least €500 a tonne.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭homingbird

Anybody know if it would be cheaper to buy in sterling as i use the revolt card & they give a good exchange rate.

homingbird wrote: »
    Do you burn timber with them to keep them going & do you have to stoke them much to keep a blaze in them burning.
    No and No...maybe some kindling to help light it and then leave it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Hi Guys

Was thinking of getting this to move the coal over the garden, it has pumped up wheels so better chance of it not sinking

Do you think it would work? I am concerned there is not a big enough section on bottom to hold bags

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003AXGMC4/ref=s9_simh_gw_g60_i4_r?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=DX5NY742VAEKAEY94XMN&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=026d359a-cb34-4790-9249-ec9f152ee8e2&pf_rd_i=desktop

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Hi Guys

Was thinking of getting this to move the coal over the garden, it has pumped up wheels so better chance of it not sinking

Do you think it would work? I am concerned there is not a big enough section on bottom to hold bags

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003AXGMC4/ref=s9_simh_gw_g60_i4_r?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=DX5NY742VAEKAEY94XMN&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=026d359a-cb34-4790-9249-ec9f152ee8e2&pf_rd_i=desktop

That will do the job provided the soil is dry.

Once you have a bag upright and the trucks tipped back there is little chance of it falling off.

I'd be taking just one 40Kg bag at a time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Hi Guys

I bought this during the summer for moving heavy bags of compost and manure around the garden and then I used it to move my coal in from the front to the back of the house. I know it's a bit more expensive than the truck but you'l move four bags at a time no bother and the longer wheel base means weight is better distributed. Came in about three days from NI.

Marhay70 wrote: »
    I bought this during the summer for moving heavy bags of compost and manure around the garden and then I used it to move my coal in from the front to the back of the house. I know it's a bit more expensive than the truck but you'l move four bags at a time no bother and the longer wheel base means weight is better distributed. Came in about three days from NI.

Did you mean to post a link? Thanks

Oops, I did. Can't post one now as on my phone. I'll post it in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭2forjoy

no need for trolleys sure these people sell 20 kilo for same price as 40 kilo and you would carry them bags under your arm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭deandean

Hi Guys

That is exactly what I use and it goes over gravel and grass AOK.
    I load up two 40Kg bags at a time onto this yoke and it works fine, although I am fairly strong.
    Dont bother buying it off Amazon. Any builders providers or good hardware shop will have them in stock.
    Unlike other posters I prefer the 40kg bags to the 25kg bags, there is less of them.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/400949111794?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This is the link I meant to post, apologies.

Great little cart, some assembly required but simple enough. I use it at least once a week and it has paid for itself over again.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/400949111794?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This is the link I meant to post, apologies.

Great little cart, some assembly required but simple enough. I use it at least once a week and it has paid for itself over again.

Thanks, looks a good job, next would be to work out if I could hook it on the back of tractor lawnmower. Make it even easier for me

Thanks, looks a good job, next would be to work out if I could hook it on the back of tractor lawnmower. Make it even easier for me

I'm less impressed. I have the bigger 125l version and wouldn't use it for coal bags and found the tyres cheap rubbish. The larger version has a tow hitch (bit thin) as part of the handle arrangement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Lidl or Aldi sell those exact ones every so often.

Usually in the spring, just before the gardening season starts

• Advertisement

All subjective, I say it does the job for me and I don't regret it for a minute. There are of course, various makes of these carts.

Advertisement