Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭insullation

Is this thread about cheap coal or a discussion on trolleys.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Trolleys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Kat1170

The bargain alert part of the thread was over on the first page, (most) people however like to help each other. Thread Nazis have ruined enough BA threads, kindly don't send this one the same way :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

:confused:

I was talking to Kosy King earlier and the Kosy Glo Ovoids are reduced if anyone interested....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭homingbird

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    :confused:

I was talking to Kosy King earlier and the Kosy Glo Ovoids are reduced if anyone interested....

Its £280 plus £20 delivery what ever that is in euro but has anybody here bought it & is it anygood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,120 ✭✭✭bigroad

Today just got 25 bags of ovoids 1 ton delivered for 340 euro and that was next day from coal warehouse .That works per 40k bag at 13.60 euro and as far as i know they are 20 euro local.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

bigroad wrote: »
    Today just got 25 bags of ovoids 1 ton delivered for 340 euro and that was next day from coal warehouse .That works per 40k bag at 13.60 euro and as far as i know they are 20 euro local.

Good price, last year it was about 30-40 euro more

Fair play to the north business people they will cut the price with the change in sterling but you can be sure down south you will see no change,and the funny thing is most of the coal depots down here are supplied from the north.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Ordered another pallet for a friend yesterday. Asked for it to be delivered next Friday, as he has the day off and can collect it from my house.

I should really just give them the pho e numbers, and make the calls themselves. Next time, I'm out.

Fair play to the north business people they will cut the price with the change in sterling but you can be sure down south you will see no change,and the funny thing is most of the coal depots down here are supplied from the north.

If thats true, then we should be seeing prices drop here. I havent seen any lower prices though. Zilch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Mandzhalas

Just sharing my opinion on ovoids. I am running small stove in sitting room. For past few years I was running it on cheap coal like black Diamond and such. Heat was always unreal. Downside of cheap coal is that it is very smokey, therefore I have to clean my chimney twice in a year. Massive amount if sooth.

This year I have tought that I will do something different and order ovoids. It's smokeless therefore should not block chimney as quick. Allot people said that heat produced by ovoids is equivalent or even higher than coal. Couple of years ago I tried few bags ovoids but was massively disappointed by heat produced. I ordered full pallet of ovoids from cosyking and gave it a test drive yesterday.
    It was humid,rainy day, 15 degrees Celsius. It was not that hard to get ovoids going some people here suggested. It took 3 hours for them to fully burn. Sadly heat produced is nowhere near to that of Black Diamond. I would say it is only half as hot as coal. Needless to say it is the last time I have bought ovoids.
    Will try mixing with coal just to make room warm enough for living during winter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I had the same issues when I first moved from polish coal to ovoids.

Polish coal is like petrol, it catches on fire very easily and gives off a great output. I could not get the smokeless to burn right for a while. There is a bit of a learning curve with regards to getting the air controls right.

Once you get it right though, the smokeless will give off a tonne of heat and burn a lot longer.

Do you have the manual for your stove ? They will tell you the correct way to burn the different coals and what you need to be doing to get the best out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Mandzhalas wrote: »
    Just sharing my opinion on ovoids. I am running small stove in sitting room. For past few years I was running it on cheap coal like black Diamond and such. Heat was always unreal. Downside of cheap coal is that it is very smokey, therefore I have to clean my chimney twice in a year. Massive amount if sooth.

This year I have tought that I will do something different and order ovoids. It's smokeless therefore should not block chimney as quick. Allot people said that heat produced by ovoids is equivalent or even higher than coal. Couple of years ago I tried few bags ovoids but was massively disappointed by heat produced. I ordered full pallet of ovoids from cosyking and gave it a test drive yesterday.
    It was humid,rainy day, 15 degrees Celsius. It was not that hard to get ovoids going some people here suggested. It took 3 hours for them to fully burn. Sadly heat produced is nowhere near to that of Black Diamond. I would say it is only half as hot as coal. Needless to say it is the last time I have bought ovoids.
    Will try mixing with coal just to make room warm enough for living during winter

Interesting post especially as I am going to be ordering Ovoids. I use Ecobrite & love it. All the other posters have raved about Ovoids & rated them even better than Ecobrite. Are you sure that you are using them correctly ? I get mine well alight & then back of the bottom air but not completely. Ecobrite gives off plenty of heat. Any more & I would be concerned about damaging the stove.

Remember that flame isn't heat. You need to get the smokeless glowing with no flame. A flame means that there is too much air

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

yea u need to get the right amount of draught for the ovoids, I give it full draught for the 1st hour and then when its nearly fully glowing i turn it down, I have marked my stanley draught spinner and the main body of the door with a permanent marker and this tells me whats the best position to turn it down for optimum results. It took me a few weeks to get it right. Now I easily get 8 hours of good heat from about 4 shovels

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

I have a Stanley stove and tried every type of coal there is when I first got the stove.

I will be sticking with ovoids

Great heat, low ash and burn for ages.

I bought a tonne of ovoids from coal warehouse last year and they are superb.

My only reservation is getting a definite delivery date as I will need to be here & hoping that we can get the pallet to the end of my short drive.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Where did you get them from, was it from kosyking and paying in £ instead of €, because on xe currently £300 is currently €346 and banks or credit card companies certainly don't match that rate. And I know that the rate today is higher that it has been for the last week

Screen%20Shot%202016-09-25%20at%2022.16.27_zpsknxbtycs.png

EDIT:
    Oops, scrap that, just saw you got them from coal island, thats the coal warehouse on Facebook, is it?, so are they the cheapest then, they'd be €360 for me then as I am in Waterford.

From Coalwarehouse 280 euro for the coal and 60 euro transport with Liam Connolly transport to the Southeast.
    I think that the coal price might go up a bit in October .

From Coalwarehouse 280 euro for the coal and 60 euro transport with Liam Connolly transport to the Southeast.

Thanks for that, will look in to them now, Do you know if its the same ovoids that Kosy King are selling?

Never used any before so i am not sure.

• Advertisement

I have a Stanley stove and tried every type of coal there is when I first got the stove.

I will be sticking with ovoids

Great heat, low ash and burn for ages.

I bought a tonne of ovoids from coal warehouse last year and they are superb.

Have to agree. I bought polish coal and ovoids last time. The coal gave
    out loads of heat but didnt last long and left a lot of ash. The ovoids give out not as much heat but more than enough,hardly any ash and last a long time. Turm the air controls to very low and you get the orange glow that lasts for hours
    Its the ovoids only for me for my next order.
    From what I have read about stoves in general, you are not supposed to use coal by itself anyhow, and if you do then use small amounts as the heat is too intense for the grate. The result will be warped grate.

I thought that Kozy only quoted around €20 for transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭2forjoy

kozyking are £19.95 for a pallet and liam connolly is 60 euro roughly

Discodog wrote: »
    I thought that Kozy only quoted around €20 for transport.

Yes but coal island charge €280 for a ton, where as kosy king is £280 so even with the more expensive delivery coal island work out cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 chubbs2011

Got a delivery of 1 ton of smokeless country blend for an insert stove from KosyKing for €334 which includes the delivery. Only ordered yesterday and delivered just now. Very happy with the service and much handier than ordering with coal warehouse.

chubbs2011 wrote: »
    Got a delivery of 1 ton of smokeless country blend for an insert stove from KosyKing for €334 which includes the delivery. Only ordered yesterday and delivered just now. Very happy with the service and much handier than ordering with coal warehouse.

Yeah that's why I went with them too. No messing about organising couriers.

I was very happy with their service.

What kind of delivery vehicle did Kosy use? Did they have a tail lift & pallet truck?

Does anyone know the name of their courier?

Discodog wrote: »
    What kind of delivery vehicle did Kosy use? Did they have a tail lift & pallet truck?

Does anyone know the name of their courier?

It depends on the area. But they guy that came to me in Kidare came in a large curtain side, rigid truck, with a tail lift and electric pallet truck.

chubbs2011 wrote: »

Just checked but the country blend are not all ovoids. It is a mix of ovoids and lignite it looks like from the picture. I think coal warehouse is still cheaper than koskyking for ovoids. Not that much in it though.

• Advertisement

Just checked but the country blend are not all ovoids. It is a mix of ovoids and lignite it looks like from the picture. I think coal warehouse is still cheaper than koskyking for ovoids. Not that much in it though.

I much prefer the Kosyking system of not needing to arrange the courier separately. Maybe we should find out who they use & see if they would do Boards deal to deliver from Coal warehouse - get the best of both worlds.

Advertisement