Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

zerks wrote: »
    They changed brands because of quality issues,the ovoids I get are bagged in Waterford.

I have no room for a tonne of coal atm so buying a couple of bags as needed suits me.

It was the cheaper coal of that brand from the facebook page you linked to, couldn't afford anything better at the time.

Just started using the Coal Warehouse Ovoids and finding them excellent. The one thing we like is that they are long burning. We have a Stanley cooker we keep running almost 24/7 in the winter but most of the time just keep it ticking over. On the first run half a bucket turned down low gave good heat for 6 hours heated some water and still had enough glow to light the fire again after another 6 hours. It was still warm outside so expect to burn a lot lot more than that when/if it gets cold.

I dont do Facebook....

Would someone mind posting the latest prices from Coalwarehouse please?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

TheTorment wrote: »
    I dont do Facebook....

You don't need to it's an open page

https://www.facebook.com/Coal-Warehouse-658154320965461/

vicwatson wrote: »

I tried that....I get a big "join now" banner which cant be closed that restricts view of site and therefore the prices.

I'll ring on Monday. Thanks anyway

I tried that....I get a big "join now" banner which cant be closed that restricts view of site and therefore the prices.

I'll ring on Monday. Thanks anyway

Sorry bout that, works for me. I think they were listed back a few pages

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

I dont do Facebook....

These are the latest prices I could see on their facebook page although when I ordered a tonne of Polish it was €180 (actually having looked again, I think everything is €20 cheaper than stated)

Polish Coal €200 per tonne
    Black Diamond €230 per tonne
    Amber €200 per tonne
    Doubles €200 per tonne
    Ovoids €300 per tonne
    Clearflame €300 per tonne
    Countryblend €300 per tonne
    Slack €150 per tonne
    Singles €175 per tonne
    To order please call 02887740911

LIAM CONNOLLY DELIVERY PRICES:
    * DUBLIN - £42.00 per tonne
    *REST OF IRELAND - £51.60 per tonne
    To organise a delivery please send an email to bookings@liamconnolly.co.uk with the following information:
    *Name
    *Delivery Address
    *Contact Number
    *Number of pallets
    *Collection Address - COAL WAREHOUSE
    Once email has been sent Liam Connollys will give you a call back.
    Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Finally got my coal last night having ordered it last Wed. 28 Sept. from Coal Warehouse.

Coal was according to Liam Connolly (Roadfreight) Ltd, to be delivered on
    Fri. 30 Sept. but no show.

Got a call from a Deering transport Co. on Monday 3 Oct asking when I would like coal delivered ?? Ok, not quite as expected but Ok. Agreed on Tue 4th.

Tue 4th ..... No coal, ring them agree on Wed 5th.
    Wed 5th .....No coal, ring them agree on Thurs 6th.
    Thurs 6th coal finally arrives about 18.30.

Now I didn't mind the delay as I still haven't lit fire and probably won't untill early next month, BUT, if you say you are going to deliver on a certain day, then do so !!!

The real off putting part was I had to have somebody on standby to accept the delivery EVERY SINGLE DAY. If they had said we can't get to you until Thurs 6th, that would have been fine, hell, next week would have been acceptable. At least I wouldn't have felt quite so foolish explaining to friends/relatives why I was sorry to have wasted their time for 4 days in a row.

Coal looks fine, won't really know until I light it but seems nice sized pieces and little dust (Black Diamond)

Might be temped to go with KosyKing next time as ordering coal and transport from the same source does, in hind sight, mean if something doesn't work out, you only have to deal with one company.

I would willingly pay Kozyking more to have a guaranteed delivery day. I haven't heard about any problems with them .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

So I was just cleaning out the stove this morning for the first time since burning the KosyKing ovoids.

I was amazed by how little ash / cinders were left. I thought I would share a picture to show what I mean.

This is what was left after burning approx 23kilo of the coal plus a small amount of wood to get the fire going. :eek:

20161011_100203.jpg
    20161011_100154.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭deisedav

Nice one. Are they the kosy glow ovoids

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Yes, apart from about 2 handfuls of Bord Na Mona Stove Coal that was in the end of the bucket.

• Advertisement

The coal warehouse ovoids we have seem much the same and produce very little ash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Tzardine wrote: »
    So I was just cleaning out the stove this morning for the first time since burning the KosyKing ovoids.

I was amazed by how little ash / cinders were left. I thought I would share a picture to show what I mean.

This is what was left after burning approx 23kilo of the coal plus a small amount of wood to get the fire going. :eek:

20161011_100203.jpg
    20161011_100154.jpg

How much did you pay for the slippers?

I was going to order those ones myself but the chap said the maxi brite ovoid's were better for an open fire so we will have to wait and see. Ordered a half tonne so if they are crap I'm in trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

deisedav wrote: »
    I was going to order those ones myself but the chap said the maxi brite ovoid's were better for an open fire so we will have to wait and see. Ordered a half tonne so if they are crap I'm in trouble.

Stove ovids are up to 98% carbon hence the low ash. Due to the extremely low volatile content its hard to burn them in an open fire so they have probably recomended ones with a higher volatile content.

Yeah first time using the smokeless so hopefully it will work out. On the website it says the ovoids are suitable for enclosed fires but I'm presuming the chap I was talking to knows his stuff. I have about a ton and half of dry maple to use so should be sorted for the winter .

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The local place I mentioned earlier have raised their prices,now €16 per 40kg bag for smokeless ovoids.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭mikehn

Looking for a ton of ovoids, which one of the KosyKing would be the one to go for. Coal warehouse are straightforward as they seem to have only one type of ovoid while KosyKing have three. This will be my first order and the wife is lukewarm on the idea so I have to get it right or it could be a looonng winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭screamer

Do the kosyking/ coalwarehouse ovoids burn overnight and stay in the next day? Reason I ask is that I buy supertherm which is expensive at 19 euro a bag, but for example, last night, I put on half a bucket of ovoids around 10pm and I still had heat and hot cinders at 5pm today without having to relight my stove. So, I guess what I'm wondering is whether the cheaper ovoids are the same, as if not, they're a false economy in my eyes anyways.

screamer wrote: »
    Do the kosyking/ coalwarehouse ovoids burn overnight and stay in the next day? Reason I ask is that I buy supertherm which is expensive at 19 euro a bag, but for example, last night, I put on half a bucket of ovoids around 10pm and I still had heat and hot cinders at 5pm today without having to relight my stove. So, I guess what I'm wondering is whether the cheaper ovoids are the same, as if not, they're a false economy in my eyes anyways.

Can't say for sure as I'm not using your stove but certainly had 12 hours out of half a bucket of coalwarehouse ovoids on a closed down cooker the other night. The other problem is how much heat and hot cinders are we talking about we still had a red glow well after the 12 hours but in this warm weather didn't need to keep the stove going. If all you are talking about is a bit of a red glow just enough for a careful relight with a bit a paper and a few sticks then ours probably did 4 pm one evening till 10pm the following morning. But I'm not saying the fire was giving out any heat for the last 10 hours.

tbh for prices south of the boarder 19 euro a bag is cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Do the kosyking/ coalwarehouse ovoids burn overnight and stay in the next day? Reason I ask is that I buy super therm which is expensive at 19 euro a bag, but for example, last night, I put on half a bucket of ovoids around 10pm and I still had heat and hot cinders at 5pm today without having to relight my stove. So, I guess what I'm wondering is whether the cheaper ovoids are the same, as if not, they're a false economy in my eyes anyways.

i think the majority of people here that have bought ovoids, myself included, have said that the oviods from the coal warehouse are better than ecobrite.
    you said u burn supertherm, i googled them and they look identical to the ovoids. same size and shape.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭golfpaul

I put a bucket of coalwarehouse ovoids in my Stanley at around 1pm yesterday, turned the damper down half way once it got going. Great heat out of it until 11pm last night then turned the damper further before going to bed and had heat and hot cinders this morning. Just put more ovoids in there an hour ago and no need to relight. These ovoids are from last year but i'm sure they are the same. Well I hope so as I have to order more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Sono

Recently purchased a bag of polish coal and not impressed at all. Doesn't burn well and very poor heat from it, anyone able to recommend something better? Thanks

Sono wrote: »
    Recently purchased a bag of polish coal and not impressed at all. Doesn't burn well and very poor heat from it, anyone able to recommend something better? Thanks

Black diamond

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I've gotten ovoids for 6 different people this year and they can't believe the price, the heat and how long they last. 4 of those would have been fierce set in their ways. It nearly killed them to agree with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭frankz

How realistic/unrealistic is it to store the ovoids outside?

Its the coal warehouse ovoids I am interested in (kosyking price seems to have gone up from few pages back on this thread) do they come in mesh bags or plastic? Would the product be destroyed sitting in the bags out in the rain ?
    (or just very messy to handle! :-))

frankz wrote: »
    How realistic/unrealistic is it to store the ovoids outside?

Its the coal warehouse ovoids I am interested in (kosyking price seems to have gone up from few pages back on this thread) do they come in mesh bags or plastic? Would the product be destroyed sitting in the bags out in the rain ?
    (or just very messy to handle! :-))

If you stacked them off the ground on a pallet and put a tarpaulin over the top they would be fine. Problem is every time you use a bag you need to uncover them and cover them back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭lenscap

I have started using my Kosyking ovoids this week in my backboiler stove and the heat is great, very little ash, and a clean stove inside.

I paid €362 for one ton pallet delivered on the day I wanted (8th August), it may be a little more expensive that the others but the pallet was dropped where I ask and on the day I requested. I can't ask better than that.

Last year I tried a few bag of country mix smokeless (not kosyking) which was a mix of ovoids, calco and lignite. Never again. The smell was like the cat had sh*t in the coal. Every time I open the stove to refuel, big wafts of black smoke escaped into the room, (even with the damper open), the inside of the stove was cover is smuts. Give me the smokeless ovoids anyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Trinh

Am I correct that Kosy GLO ovoids will no longer be delivered to ROI? They moved them to non smokeless section and there is a remark that its for UK market only?
    There is new product in smokeless section - MaxiBrite, but its 360.00 per tonne. Anybody tried those?

No you can order the kosykin glow if you ring them. Something to do with smokeless regulations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭naughto

Have no idea about coal so just looking for some advice can I use ovids in an open fire or wha would be the best

Advertisement