Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

i see a lot of reference to black diamond vs polish coal.

Black diamond is just a branding exercise on a grade of screened polish coal. Screening removes the dust and smaller pieces.

Coal like a lot of other products has many countries of origin and grades within.

Often what is being passed as cheaper polish is in fact French coal which has a similar appearance but it's cheaper and burns less well.

I worked in a business importing and blending coal and the best I've seen for all round use was a 3 way blend of Texan, French and Polish. Easy to light, long burning and good heat. Texan coal is matt brown rather than jet black lights quickly and burns to an ash quite similar to turf. French coal has a real glassy appearance when you break a lump, polish coal less glassy but quite similar.

If your seeing a lot of dust the coal hasn't been screened and so it's a cheaper product.

A lot of the cheap blends consist of American and blend off's of polish or French. They burn dirty and American coal leaves a lot of cinders. Quite like our own Arigna coal used to be.

Blended coals can be great but ask what they are blending, if they mention American coal then don't buy it. It's only a step below shale rock, hard to light, burns dirty and never burns out completely, it's just dirt !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

naughto wrote: »
    Have no idea about coal so just looking for some advice can I use ovids in an open fire or wha would be the best

u can use ovoids in an open fire, but u would be better off with normal coal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Anybody mixed the ovoids with doubles from coal warehouse ?,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭homingbird

I bought this off kosyking for stove as there seems to be mixed reviews on ovides this coal is heating 11 rads with great heat it seem to have gone up in price as i got a ton of it for 205 a week ago.
    http://www.kosyking.com/domestic-fuel-wholesale-coal-products/high-quality-coal/gold-doubles-full-ton

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭deisedav

Got the maxi brite ovoids from kosy king 1/2 tonne delivered yesterday. Lit the fire in the evening and refuelled at about 9.30. I'm using it in an open fire. The smoked coal definitely burns hotter but the ovoids give off a more steady heat. Had a look this morning and they were still glowing. A bit of ash leftover but hardly any cinders. I could see why they would be great for a stove. Overall I'm pretty impressed.

• Advertisement

homingbird wrote:
    I bought this off kosyking for stove as there seems to be mixed reviews on ovides this coal is heating 11 rads with great heat it seem to have gone up in price as i got a ton of it for 205 a week ago.

Thanks i might go for a half n half of doubles and ovoids as at the minute,its working well for me heating 13 rads

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Sono

Went to a coal yard yesterday and he advised me that polish coal is illegal and you can be reported for burning it and he said they get massive fines if they are caught selling it, is this true? I have some in my shed and I'm afraid to burn anymore of it after he said that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Sono wrote: »
    Went to a coal yard yesterday and he advised me that polish coal is illegal and you can be reported for burning it and he said they get massive fines if they are caught selling it, is this true? I have some in my shed and I'm afraid to burn anymore of it after he said that.

Only if you live in a designated smokeless fuel zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Smoky coal is sometimes referred to as polish and depending on the part of country you live in it could be illegal for them to sell it. Use up the end of the coal you have you'll be fine. Otherwise give it to me 😃

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Maps smoky coal ban areas maybe the yard was in a smokeless coal area?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Illegal to sell, not illegal to burn. Work away with it

sgarvan wrote: »
    Illegal to sell, not illegal to burn. Work away with it

I think the laws have changed, from my link above
    A ban on the burning of smoky coal and other prohibited fuels now applies in all smoky coal ban specified areas to complement the ban on the marketing, sale and distribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Thought that law didn't come into effect.

sgarvan wrote: »
    Thought that law didn't come into effect.

You may be right but there were amendments and one of them seems to allow for space heating in a private dwelling but on a Sunday morning I'm not reading the 2012 act and cross checking the 2015 amendments.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

My local co-op here in Cavan are doing ten bags of 40kg Colombian Black Sapphire for €135 delivered. €13.50 a bag delivered.

Don't think I'll do much better than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Lemlin wrote: »
    My local co-op here in Cavan are doing ten bags of 40kg Colombian Black Sapphire for €135 delivered. €13.50 a bag delivered.

Don't think I'll do much better than that.
    Where in cavan?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Where in cavan?

Maguires Stores. Just about a mile or so up the Bailieboro Road from the Lavey Inn. Check their Facebook page "Maguires Stores" for the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Think I will order a half ton of the cosy king gold doubles.

Question: Living in a housing estate, just off the M50, would there be any issue with delivery? Buses/Coaches have often enough been driven down the road, but it is a cul-de-sac and I wouldn't want to be hauling a half ton of coal from the top of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭deisedav

Not sure they would deliver them if your in a smokeless area. They might though?

Just wondering which is the closest to golden glow eco glow by McLaughlins ....burning these at the minute with doubles and they are a,great job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

Hi,

I am a totally green Stove virgin who just got his new stove (non boiler) installed the weekend, and it seems you lovely folk have a mountain of knowledge when it comes to the proper coals to use...please Help! :o

my continuous reading has brought me up to date with it being ovoids that i need to use when it comes to coals, but there seems to be so many different varieties with different results - and there was the naive me thinking that coal was coal!?!

anyone using a similar stove to me? all advice welcome.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

ordered a half tonne of the maxibrite just now. will split between myself and the inlaws. Got best value using the revolut card at €211 all in, delivered to Dublin, compared to the €204 website payment, plus the £19.95 delivery charge, which would have cost over €233. Thank you boardsies for the tip in the first place ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Hi,

I am a totally green Stove virgin who just got his new stove (non boiler) installed the weekend, and it seems you lovely folk have a mountain of knowledge when it comes to the proper coals to use...please Help! :o

my continuous reading has brought me up to date with it being ovoids that i need to use when it comes to coals, but there seems to be so many different varieties with different results - and there was the naive me thinking that coal was coal!?!

anyone using a similar stove to me? all advice welcome.

thanks

https://www.facebook.com/Coal-Warehouse-658154320965461/?hc_ref=SEARCH

ovoids is what u need

Looking at the maxibrite on kosyking are they same as supertherm ?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,049 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

How are Coal Warehouse paid?
    Do the do paypal, COD ?

Do the do paypal, COD ?

Credit or debit card over the phone two transactions one to pay for the coal the other to pay for the carriage/delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭bigroad

Do the do paypal, COD ?
    I rang them and gave details over the phone ,no problem, i could hear them put the info into the card machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Yes when I wanted to pay in stg they gave me a bolder dash story that they couldn't charge me in stg as their stg machine wasn't working so I had to pay in Euro and prob lost a few euro in the transaction as would have got the order cheaper had I been allow pay in stg. Still good prices all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

Prices updated on their FB page

*Current Price list as follows:*
    Slack - €130 per tonne
    Singles - €155 per tonne
    Polish - €180 per tonne
    Black diamond €210 per tonne
    Doubles - €180 per tonne
    Columbian - €250 per tonne
    Union Nuggets - €250 per tonne
    smokeless ovoids - €280 per tonne
    Country blend - €280 per tonne
    Clearflame - €280 per tonne

Please note these prices are special offer and will be reviewed at the end of the month.
    Thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

vicwatson wrote: »
    Yes when I wanted to pay in stg they gave me a bolder dash story that they couldn't charge me in stg as their stg machine wasn't working so I had to pay in Euro and prob lost a few euro in the transaction as would have got the order cheaper had I been allow pay in stg. Still good prices all the same

Thats odd considering northern ireland currency is in sterling. I can't imagine they would have charged ni customers in euro?

Advertisement