Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭mikeecho

mikeecho wrote: »
    Burning the Black Diamond.

Not massively impressed.
    Lots of cinders the following morn.
    Heat output seems fine though.

I suppose for the price it's good,

but I wonder would I have been better off with the slightly cheaper polish coal.

Just an update.

Coal seems fine now, burns great, a few cinders, but not as many as i had initially.
    Maybe is was just a bad few bits of coal, or maybe the timber i was using wasnt as dry as it could be, But all is good now.

I'm even considering buying another pallet of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Anyone try the Doubles or the Columbian coal? Or is any of the smokeless fuel any use in an open fire. Most of the thread is about ovoids in stoves.

I got Polish Coal 2 years ago and Black Diamond last year. Found both to be quite dirty, particularly the Black Diamond.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Thats odd considering northern ireland currency is in sterling. I can't imagine they would have charged ni customers in euro?

Im ROI customer that wanted to pay in STG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

I ordered a ton of ovoids yesterday from the coal warehouse at 10.30am got it delivered today at 4.30pm.That was quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

What type of a truck do the delivery guys use? Living down a small laneway/cul de sac and wouldn't want to order if they couldn't bring them to the house.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

What type of a truck do the delivery guys use? Living down a small laneway/cul de sac and wouldn't want to order if they couldn't bring them to the house.

For the umpteenth time delivery is via The Pallet Network. The country is carved up so one company will pick up the pallet of coal drop it at a central hub and it is delivered by the company that is a member of The Pallet Network in your area.

You have no idea what size of wagon will deliver and if one person has a small wagon there's every chance the next person will get large rigid wagon.

Thats the downside of saving nearly €200 on a tonne of coal.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,050 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I can imagine a lot of folk order and some guy in a huge truck pulls up to a small estate and there is no where to even take load off.
    What is story with unloading. Will they take it off and stack it where it should be or drop it at kerb '' it's your problem now''

• Registered Users Posts: 36,050 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

So people are happy to give card details to random people on phone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

I can imagine a lot of folk order and some guy in a huge truck pulls up to a small estate and there is no where to even take load off.
    What is story with unloading. Will they take it off and stack it where it should be or drop it at kerb '' it's your problem now''

the lorry driver wont be lugging bags of coal into your back garden, once he has removed the pallet from outside your home, its up to u on how u get the coal from x to y

So people are happy to give card details to random people on phone ?

83 pages without complaints what u think?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭bigroad

The trucks that deliver to your home are from courier or transport companies.
    Usually they use rigid 18 ton box body trucks with a tail lift and a pallet truck.
    The driver is not a coal delivery driver,what i mean is he is not there to load coal into your bunker like the chaps used to do from a coal depot.
    He will bring the pallet as close as he can to where the customer wants it,he drops the pallet gets docket signed and off he goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Mine was delivered in a rigid truck with tail lift.Driver took it of with a pallet truck and dropped it exactly where i wanted it.The fact that i have a concrete yard helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭lenscap

I have been following this thread for a good while and have posted some comments.

One thing I have noticed is that the same questions are being asked over and over.

Maybe a sticky could be made of the most often asked questions.

Or the person asking the question could do a little research like reading through the past posts.

(I am fairly new to all this but if you give me a list of the most common questions I will try and write a reply with a little help of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

lenscap wrote: »
    I have been following this thread for a good while and have posted some comments.

One thing I have noticed is that the same questions are being asked over and over.

Maybe a sticky could be made of the most often asked questions.

Or the person asking the question could do a little research like reading through the past posts.

(I am fairly new to all this but if you give me a list of the most common questions I will try and write a reply with a little help of course)

Good idea perhaps the opening post should include the current price list & FAQ. As you say the same questions are clogging up the thread over and over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

vicwatson wrote: »
    Im ROI customer that wanted to pay in STG
    Thats what I thought. Im not sure if I believe their reason. It shouldnt make any difference where you live for the currency to be offered. They should have billed you in stg as they would do for ni customers anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

Guys can you tell me what would be the best to burn in a Stanley Donard Range ? This range heats 7 rads. Right now I'm burning turf and hardwood and it's doing a pretty good job but I'm re-fueling about every 2 hours and I'd like to have more time before re-fueling.
    Another reason is according to my health I don't know if I'll be able to work the bog next year so looking at other options.

Also, when using coal in a range/stove will I have to burn anything else with it like logs or just pile on the coal and leave it to do it's work ?

Thanks

Guys can you tell me what would be the best to burn in a Stanley Donard Range ? This range heats 7 rads. Right now I'm burning turf and hardwood and it's doing a pretty good job but I'm re-fueling about every 2 hours and I'd like to have more time before re-fueling.
    Another reason is according to my health I don't know if I'll be able to work the bog next year so looking at other options.

Also, when using coal in a range/stove will I have to burn anything else with it like logs or just pile on the coal and leave it to do it's work ?

Thanks

Try a couple of bags of ovoids to see how you get on with them. They need a bit of wood to get them going and maybe a bit more wood if you leave it too long before refueling.

Thanks for the info/advice. I might order a pallet of the ovoids and see how I get on. I have to say though I find the range a beast for the fuel. I think it's partly down to bad insulating house wise, that's something I might look at in the new year but it would be grand if the ovoids did the job for me, no more bog would be unbelievable :D

Thanks again

Thanks for the info/advice. I might order a pallet of the ovoids and see how I get on. I have to say though I find the range a beast for the fuel. I think it's partly down to bad insulating house wise, that's something I might look at in the new year but it would be grand if the ovoids did the job for me, no more bog would be unbelievable :D

Thanks again

While I think ovoids will suit you I suggested getting a couple of bags first to try meaning get them locally just so you don't end up with a tonne of coal that does't suit.

btw avoid over fueling the range with coal as its possible to burn it out if you regularly over fuel it and allow it to get too hot, good coal should give you a lot more heat for the same volume of fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Thanks again

Might be a silly question but are you using the stove correctly.

When I first started using mine I was using the air controls wrong. Burning tonnes of fuel and having to top it up all the time.

my3cents wrote: »

btw avoid over fueling the range with coal as its possible to burn it out if you regularly over fuel it and allow it to get too hot, good coal should give you a lot more heat for the same volume of fuel.
    Tzardine wrote: »
    Might be a silly question but are you using the stove correctly.

When I first started using mine I was using the air controls wrong. Burning tonnes of fuel and having to top it up all the time.

Yep I'm still a novice when it comes to the range. I'm using it for about 3 years and it's doing a great job but I know I'm not working it the way it should. The firebox is very big on this, and if I'm using turf and timber I can fill it right up but coal I know will be different.

In regards to the air controls, there is a bit of a snag there. This range has has a small flap and numbers on the controller, there was a little wire that went from the controller to the range. I noticed this wire is cut/broke so I know it's not doing what its supposed to be.
    Right now I just open the door to light it up and close it over, after 2 fills of turf and timber it reaches 300c and at this stage the rads are pumping. I'd imagine I'd only have to put one load of good coal in to reach these temps, I'm hoping so anyway.
    The coal route will be so different to me as I've just been using turf and timber so far. I suppose it will take some tweaking on how much coal to put in the firebox as it's pretty big.

Thanks again for the info, I'll try a few bags of ovoids and see how I get on.

• Advertisement

You really need to be able to close that range down because even with half a load of coal in the firebox you don't want it running full belt with no control.

iirc Waterford Stanley still make the Donard and should have spare parts for it. Check their website and get the spare parts pdf it should have your stove listed with an expanded diagram of all the parts so you can see whats missing.

You really need to be able to close that range down because even with half a load of coal in the firebox you don't want it running full belt with no control.

iirc Waterford Stanley still make the Donard and should have spare parts for it. Check their website and get the spare parts pdf it should have your stove listed with an expanded diagram of all the parts so you can see whats missing.

I do still have control of the flap and can close it down when it gets too hot, or I can even fill up the firebox at the end of the night and close it all down, the next morning a lot of the fuel is gone but just a riddle and it blazes back up again. I just do this on extremely cold nights like into the minus.

So yes I can still open and close the flap no problem but there was number on the control dial from say 1-5 and that must have made some contact with the range via this wire, but the wire is cut.

So all in all, would I be correct in lighting the range with a little wood, adding the ovoids, let it get really hot and just close the damper and let it do it's thing ? I have a feeling it will take me awhile to tweak this. A half load of ovoids will be sufficient for a few hours ?

I feel I'm chomping at the bit to have a go at this. I'm back home tomorrow evening so I'll try pick up a couple bags of ovoids locally on Wednesday and give it a go, and if all is good I'll order a pallet from coal warehouse.

I can't say they are the same but we had Ovoids from Glambia for a while and they were very similar to the ones that Coal Warehouse have. Lighting is as you say, you'll probably find half a load for coal ovoids is a full load (half way up the firebox). iirc the Donard is a top fill and you can fill it almost to the hotplate and that is twice as much as you should really have in it. Along with less heat there's far more air space around logs so no problem jamming as many of them in as you can in the firebox. I don't want to make you paranoid about over firing but I've seen ranges burnt out at 10 years old that should have still looked perfect at 50. Occasionally it makes no difference but if it becomes a habit to fill the range to the top and let it burn full wack everyday then it takes it toll.

I can't say they are the same but we had Ovoids from Glambia for a while and they were very similar to the ones that Coal Warehouse have. Lighting is as you say, you'll probably find half a load for coal ovoids is a full load (half way up the firebox). iirc the Donard is a top fill and you can fill it almost to the hotplate and that is twice as much as you should really have in it. Along with less heat there's far more air space around logs so no problem jamming as many of them in as you can in the firebox. I don't want to make you paranoid about over firing but I've seen ranges burnt out at 10 years old that should have still looked perfect at 50. Occasionally it makes no difference but if it becomes a habit to fill the range to the top and let it burn full wack everyday then it takes it toll.

Thanks for your input. Yes burning the range out does worry me. I reckon it's in the house for about 30 years or there abouts. It was made for solid fuel as you know, on the door it even says what you can burn in it from coal to anthracite to turf ect.. but when we moved in it was converted to oil. I didn't know it had been modified but it just wasn't doing its job properly I felt. When I discovered it was modified I got it converted back to solid fuel and while it takes more time to fill and clean it certainly heats up the house much much better, like night and day. So I'll fill the firebox half way and see how I go. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.

Sorry folks for going so off topic here :o

But for DubInTheWest the instructions for his Waterford Stanley Donard cooker plus parts list...

http://www.waterfordstanley.com/media/2051246/donard-sf-cooker-mk2-manual.pdf - Mk2 but not much different to older models
    http://www.waterfordstanley.com/media/2051249/donard-wb-cooker-mk2-2-.pdf - Wood burning version of above - bit of a gimmick Stanley did for a couple of years
    http://www.waterfordstanley.com/media/2051279/spare-parts-manual.pdf - parts manual for all current Stanley stoves and cookers, older stoves often use the same parts

Ordered on Monday evening. This is my 4th order to date.

Split pallet of ovoids and Polish. €230
    Delivery was just under €60

€290 all in for a tonne of coal is terrific value.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭lenscap

" Ordered on Monday evening. This is my 4th order to date.

€290 all in for a tonne of coal is terrific value. "

Hi TheTorment, how long does the tonne last you? Open fire or stove?

Amyone else having problems getting through to coal warehouse, numbers not ringing at all. I tried both 004428 and 048

Amyone else having problems getting through to coal warehouse, numbers not ringing at all. I tried both 004428 and 048

working now

• Advertisement

lenscap wrote: »
    " Ordered on Monday evening. This is my 4th order to date.

€290 all in for a tonne of coal is terrific value. "

Hi TheTorment, how long does the tonne last you? Open fire or stove?

I usually get through 2 tonnes (with bag or two left over) each winter. Thats burning it almost every day in a boiler stove that feeds 7 radiators.

Advertisement