Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭lenscap

That's good value at around €580 to heat your house for the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭CH3OH

long time reader of the thread.

Finally, bit the bullet and ordered some PREMIUM KOSY GLO OVOIDS from Kosy King @ £280 + 19,99 for delivery
    Although the website states that they don't deliver these to the south, when I rang yesterday at lunchtime there was no problem ordering them.

I wasn't sure when to expect the delivery and got a phone call today at 2 to say the delivery truck was 10 minutes away

Super fast delivery,, but not sure what would have happened if I missed the call or was unavailable

Will update on how they burn

update
    They look exactly the same and burn great in an open fire
    My dad thought there was a bit more flame off them initially, but when the fire settled down burned well.

worked out an equivalent of €13.70 per 40 kg compared to €19.90 which is what my dad was paying

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolliedog

I bought 2 tonne of black diamond coa from the Coal Warehouse which was delivered yesterday. I bought the 20kg bags. I opened a bag today, I was very disappointed with the size of the coal nuggets.

The nuggets were very small in comparison to the coal that I buy locally. I hope all the bags are not similar, however my initial thoughts are that the are all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

lolliedog wrote: »
    I bought 2 tonne of black diamond coa from the Coal Warehouse which was delivered yesterday. I bought the 20kg bags. I opened a bag today, I was very disappointed with the size of the coal nuggets.

The nuggets were very small in comparison to the coal that I buy locally. I hope all the bags are not similar, however my initial thoughts are that the are all the same.

For some reason when I bought the 40kg bags last year the nuggets were bigger, I got the 20kg ones and yes they are smaller but there are larger ones mixed in, though the 40kg deffo were larger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Ordered 1 ton of smokeless ovoids in 25kg bags from coal warehouse paid in sterling with revolut card. 320 euros including delivery.

Works out 12.8 euros a 40kg bag.

Last year it was approx 15 euros a bag which was still good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,171 ✭✭✭batistuta9

beertons wrote: »
    I've gotten ovoids for 6 different people this year and they can't believe the price, the heat and how long they last. 4 of those would have been fierce set in their ways. It nearly killed them to agree with me.

How do you get the best use out of them?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

batistuta9 wrote: »
    How do you get the best use out of them?

I don't understand what you're asking. I just light the fire with a few sticks, then throw on a scoop or 2. C'est la vie

• Registered Users Posts: 8,171 ✭✭✭batistuta9

beertons wrote: »
    I don't understand what you're asking. I just light the fire with a few sticks, then throw on a scoop or 2. C'est la vie

I meant for heat output to rads etc. Is small loads enough or do you need to fill up.
    Some people have said they don't like the ovoids and other that they burn for 12+ hours

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Oh, sorry. I just heat the sitting room. No back boiler. Tank is already hot from panel on the roof. 2 shovels full will burn for hours, ash still red next morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

batistuta9 wrote: »
    I meant for heat output to rads etc. Is small loads enough or do you need to fill up.
    Some people have said they don't like the ovoids and other that they burn for 12+ hours

It all depends how your burn them and how much heat you want. We find a bucket full of ovoids is all we need for a day's heating of the kitchen, cooker and hot water (no rads). We keep the range ticking over with very little fuel and fairly closed off which provides some heat and keeps the water hot, for cooking on the range we have to throw on some more fuel and open it up a bit.

If we put half a bucket on let it get going and close it off ovoids will still be red after 12 hrs but there won't be much left of them. Opened up and giving full heat the same amount of coal wouldn't last 6 hours.

Polish on the other hand gives a lot more heat in the short term but wouldn't do 6 hours unless we used double the amount let alone 12 hours.

A given weight of fuel has a given amount of energy locked up in it, you can google and find the amounts for various fuels, ovoids are fairly high up on the list but at the end of the day you have to burn enough fuel for the output you want. When it comes to how much coal do you need to heat the rads we are in how long is a piece of string territory. If you know the output of the rads you can do a rough calculation on how much of a specific fuel is needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

lads I am on my 3rd bag of these (about 1 a week) and paying €20 a pop.

am i mad?

http://www.topline.ie/plumbing-heating/cooling-heating/fuels/coal/bord-na-mona/black-diamond/premium-stove-fuel-35kg

I have a new 7Kw stove (no back boiler) and still trying to find my feet, all advice welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

lads I am on my 3rd bag of these (about 1 a week) and paying €20 a pop.

am i mad?

http://www.topline.ie/plumbing-heating/cooling-heating/fuels/coal/bord-na-mona/black-diamond/premium-stove-fuel-35kg

I have a new 7Kw stove (no back boiler) and still trying to find my feet, all advice welcome.

Not mad at all but you can get better value. Those bags are only 35kg when most are 40kg so the "real" price is more like €23 (for 40kg) and if buying from coal warehouse you can get 40kg bags of ovoids for around €15 (mine were €14.50).

So if you can afford a tonne, can be in to take deliver and have some where to store a tonne you can save €8 a week. If you have the coal handy in store you'll probably burn a bit more.

Edit> Before closing your link I noticed that Bord na Móna Black Diamond Premium Stove Fuel - 35kg "is an ideal alternative to anthracite"? If its the equivalent of anthracite for heat then there is a little more value in it than my calculation above as anthracite is about the best coal you can get for the amount of energy (as heat) locked up in it. That doesn't mean anthracite is the best of all coal as its really only any good in ranges designed to burn it like the AGA and some find it a pain to light. What that all means is you might find "ovoides" give you a little less heat than the linked to fuel but I doubt you'll notice that much difference if any.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭lenscap

my3cents wrote: »
    Not mad at all but you can get better value. Those bags are only 35kg when most are 40kg so the "real" price is more like €23 (for 40kg) and if buying from coal warehouse you can get 40kg bags of ovoids for around €15 (mine were €14.50).

So if you can afford a tonne, can be in to take deliver and have some where to store a tonne you can save €8 a week. If you have the coal handy in store you'll probably burn a bit more.

Edit> Before closing your link I noticed that Bord na Móna Black Diamond Premium Stove Fuel - 35kg "is an ideal alternative to anthracite"? If its the equivalent of anthracite for heat then there is a little more value in it than my calculation above as anthracite is about the best coal you can get for the amount of energy (as heat) locked up in it. That doesn't mean anthracite is the best of all coal as its really only any good in ranges designed to burn it like the AGA and some find it a pain to light. What that all means is you might find "ovoides" give you a little less heat than the linked to fuel but I doubt you'll notice that much difference if any.

When my Kosyking ovoids ran out earlier this year (end of March) I tried CPL Phurnocite nuggets. They did burn for a very long time, overnight no problem but they were slow to light and took a long time to produce heat. I only used a bag so I didn't get enough time to experiment and master these nuggets, but I still prefer the smokeless ovoids.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ninty

Found this crowd good for Northside Dublin link

my3cents wrote: »

I got 1 ton of ovoids from coal warehouse for the equivalent of 320 euros delivered. I paid in sterling with revolut card.Works out at 12.8 euros a 40kg bag.
    Great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭6541

Can someone point me in the direction of Revolut card ?

6541 wrote: »
    Can someone point me in the direction of Revolut card ?

https://revolut.com/

Its a mastercard that you can topup from a debit card, bank account etc in either sterling, usa dollars or euros.

It is all done via the phone app. When you purchase something in a different currency or withdraw from atm, the amount is converted instantly without bank charges. I think there is a charge but it is miniscule compared to what the banks charge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭6541

https://revolut.com/

Its a mastercard that you can topup from a debit card, bank account etc in either sterling, usa dollars or euros.

It is all done via the phone app. When you purchase something in a different currency or withdraw from atm, the amount is converted instantly without bank charges. I think there is a charge but it is miniscule compared to what the banks charge

Thanks my man, but a question. i ordered one tonne before and they charged me in Euro.
    So did you insist on paying in sterling ? Or is it on the delivery that you made the saving with. Thanks again.

6541 wrote: »
    Thanks my man, but a question. i ordered one tonne before and they charged me in Euro.
    So did you insist on paying in sterling ? Or is it on the delivery that you made the saving with. Thanks again.

Just tell them you want the price in sterling.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I tried it before and they said their stg machine was "broken"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭pissed

Where are the sterling prices? I only see the euro price on their facebook page.

I am looking at a ton of ovoids, currently £300 delivered from Kosy King. What are Coal Warehouse charging in £ delivered ? Living in Meath.

pissed wrote: »
    Where are the sterling prices? I only see the euro price on their facebook page.

I am looking at a ton of ovoids, currently £300 delivered from Kosy King. What are Coal Warehouse charging in £ delivered ? Living in Meath.

Last time it was £230 and about £51 delivery, so approx £281 for a ton of ovoids.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 clement

Just my experience with coal warehouse. Two years ago I got a tonne of polish and it was good for the money lots of cinders and ash. I then got a tonne of Colombian coal locally last year for 400 euro. This was great with very little ash and no cinders and i only cleaned out the fire every three days. so this year I ordered a tonne of Colombian from coal warehouse for €310 delivered. The heat is great but the ash and cinders are a disaster. The fire is full of cinders, ash and stones. I have to clean every day and I have a heavy bag of ash. I am reburning the cinders which helps a little but deadens the fire. Great value but I'm questioning if it's worth it for all the extra cleaning and dumping of ash for €90 per tonne. I have an open fire with no back boiler and only burn coal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭screamer

clement wrote: »
    Just my experience with coal warehouse. Two years ago I got a tonne of polish and it was good for the money lots of cinders and ash. I then got a tonne of Colombian coal locally last year for 400 euro. This was great with very little ash and no cinders and i only cleaned out the fire every three days. so this year I ordered a tonne of Colombian from coal warehouse for €310 delivered. The heat is great but the ash and cinders are a disaster. The fire is full of cinders, ash and stones. I have to clean every day and I have a heavy bag of ash. I am reburning the cinders which helps a little but deadens the fire. Great value but I'm questioning if it's worth it for all the extra cleaning and dumping of ash for €90 per tonne. I have an open fire with no back boiler and only burn coal.

Stones? I've never seen stones in a bag of coal. TBH, you confirm what I think about "cheap" coal, you get what you pay for. I've often thought about buying some, but it's an awful chunk of money for a tonne of coal if you can't burn it or it turns out to be.... stones.
    I've bought supertherm in topline when it was on special at 17.50 a bag. Hopefully, that'll last me a good while.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭deisedav

clement wrote: »
    Just my experience with coal warehouse. Two years ago I got a tonne of polish and it was good for the money lots of cinders and ash. I then got a tonne of Colombian coal locally last year for 400 euro. This was great with very little ash and no cinders and i only cleaned out the fire every three days. so this year I ordered a tonne of Colombian from coal warehouse for 310 delivered. The heat is great but the ash and cinders are a disaster. The fire is full of cinders, ash and stones. I have to clean every day and I have a heavy bag of ash. I am reburning the cinders which helps a little but deadens the fire. Great value but I'm questioning if it's worth it for all the extra cleaning and dumping of ash for 90 per tonne. I have an open fire with no back boiler and only burn coal.
    Burning the maxi brite ovoid's from kosyking. A good lot of ash from it but very little cinders. Clean out the fire after every 3 fires. Definitely lasts longer than smokey coal but doesn't burn as hot. Used the colombian a few years ago, first bag was fantastic but second bag was terrible / full of unburnable stones , so much so that I threw the bag in the boot and brought it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Any idea if this would store much coal?

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4349516.htm

I have one already but it is taken down so was going to order a tonne and fill it up.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭bigroad

Thats very expensive you might be better getting a shed for a hundred more.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Any idea if this would store much coal?

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4349516.htm

I have one already but it is taken down so was going to order a tonne and fill it up.....

These were available for €130 each in Homebase, I've two of them out the back and I've my wheelie bins in them, there's no way I'd be dumping a ton of coal into them, they are sturdy enough, but no way could I see those two doors and the sides holding back a ton of coal.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

Just wondering for anyone of you guys who have used ovoids from both the coalwarehouse and kosy king, which of them 2 are the best for long burn and heat ect... ?

For the past 3+ years I've been burning turf and timber in the range, and yes it's fine just have to keep topping up is the problem. But after reading this thread I bought a bag of magic glow ovoids I think the name of them are a few days back and I have to say I'm very impressed. Got about 5 hours + from half a fill and the house was roasting. The magic glow was 18.50 locally but after using them I'm going to get a pallet from either the coalwarehouse or Kosy king.

• Advertisement

Just wondering for anyone of you guys who have used ovoids from both the coalwarehouse and kosy king, which of them 2 are the best for long burn and heat ect... ?

For the past 3+ years I've been burning turf and timber in the range, and yes it's fine just have to keep topping up is the problem. But after reading this thread I bought a bag of magic glow ovoids I think the name of them are a few days back and I have to say I'm very impressed. Got about 5 hours + from half a fill and the house was roasting. The magic glow was 18.50 locally but after using them I'm going to get a pallet from either the coalwarehouse or Kosy king.
    Never used kosyking but coal warehouse is same as stuff i bought in republic thst cost me 20 euros

Advertisement