Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

That's it yeah :-) what colour bag is the glanbia ovoids in and what does it say on it. Or do they only have the one type. Great information it's appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

That's it yeah :-) what colour bag is the glanbia ovoids in and what does it say on it. Or do they only have the one type. Great information it's appreciated

Last time I looked it was just Ovoids in our local one, they really don't have much choice aka Smokeless Ovoids, but no idea of the colour on the bag.

Just checked the Country Life website and the choice is Standard Smokeless or Cosyglo Smokeless Gems and I think the nearest to CW Ovoids would be Cosyglo Smokeless Gems.

We have an Stanley range and are using coal warehouses Ovoids, running 24/7 in really cold weather it only needs cleaning around the oven once a week and even then its nothing like as bad as 2 days burning Polish coal. We are only heating water, cooking and space heating so not using as much fuel as you but at what currently seems to be less than €13 a bag from coal warehouse you can't really go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭2forjoy

You may as well go into Woodies and buy a 6 euro bag , cos they will look the same as glambia ones , and same as coal warehouse ones .
    They will be black in colour and oval shaped but the resemblance ends there .

all these yokes are manufactured in different places , and the ingredients differ from one place to another , and at times from one month to another .

The proof of the pudding is usually in the eating .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Advbrd

2forjoy wrote: »
    You may as well go into Woodies and buy a 6 euro bag , cos they will look the same as glambia ones , and same as coal warehouse ones .
    They will be black in colour and oval shaped but the resemblance ends there .

all these yokes are manufactured in different places , and the ingredients differ from one place to another , and at times from one month to another .

The proof of the pudding is usually in the eating .

I presume you mean heating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Advbrd

my3cents wrote: »
    Last time I looked it was just Ovoids in our local one, they really don't have much choice aka Smokeless Ovoids, but no idea of the colour on the bag.

Just checked the Country Life website and the choice is Standard Smokeless or Cosyglo Smokeless Gems and I think the nearest to CW Ovoids would be Cosyglo Smokeless Gems.

We have an Stanley range and are using coal warehouses Ovoids, running 24/7 in really cold weather it only needs cleaning around the oven once a week and even then its nothing like as bad as 2 days burning Polish coal. We are only heating water, cooking and space heating so not using as much fuel as you but at what currently seems to be less than €13 a bag from coal warehouse you can't really go wrong.

I think I am sold on ovoids. I burn coal at the moment as you have to fill the stoves less often. I am happy with one stove as the room is pretty big. The smaller stove is in a room 15 feet by 15 and we have to open the doors sometimes because it is too hot. Ovoids according to a number of people give out less heat and burn for longer which seems to be what I am looking for.

• Advertisement

Advbrd wrote: »
    I think I am sold on ovoids. I burn coal at the moment as you have to fill the stoves less often. I am happy with one stove as the room is pretty big. The smaller stove is in a room 15 feet by 15 and we have to open the doors sometimes because it is too hot. Ovoids according to a number of people give out less heat and burn for longer which seems to be what I am looking for.

of course they burn for longer cos they have a lower flamable content than the coal .
    but you can easily control the burn rate by using the draft

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭lenscap

I have a back boiler stove running 7 rads and hot water. Over the last four years I have tried every combination I can think of to get the most heat from my stove. And guess what worked for me?

Coal ovoids were the best, little or not soot, burned to ash. I prefer the bigger ovoid rather than the smaller ones, but that's just my opinion.

I tried union (lignite) nuggets, didn't like them. Too much soot and bad smell. The amount of soot/smuts inside the stove in just a few days was amazing.
    Tried the blend of ovoids, lignite and calco. Same as above, plus calco can damage the stove if used incorrectly.
    Peat briquettes (both BNM and East European ones) and ovoids, a great combination.
    Wood and ovoids also a great combo.
    Hardwood briquettes and ovoids an other winner.

So yes I am converted to ovoids.

2forjoy wrote:
    You may as well go into Woodies and buy a 6 euro bag , cos they will look the same as glambia ones , and same as coal warehouse ones . They will be black in colour and oval shaped but the resemblance ends there .

So what you're saying is there's no point buying some local to try out and that one pallet from coal warehouse burning well doesn't mean the next pallet will.

So what you're saying is there's no point buying some local to try out and that one pallet from coal warehouse burning well doesn't mean the next pallet will.

Its like buying petrol at two different branded filling stations . different grades .
    In general all these type ovoids everywhere are burning well , but the difference with coal warehouse is financial savings . The heat output has already been explained .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

I buy 1 ton of ovoids a year from coal warehouse. No difference this year in quality compared to last year.
    I did buy a bag from my local a while ago and they seem identical to me, other than in price.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone for the info great thread

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

If anyone using a stove hasn't tried smokeless then you are really missing out. I have a Stanley glass fronted stove that's about three years old. Inside it's like new, I have never cleaned it. The glass needs a wipe over once a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

Just checking in, so ovoids the way to go. Those using ovoids do you not use any timber just ovoids 24*7? Would the kindling not smoke up the glass some?

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Just checking in, so ovoids the way to go. Those using ovoids do you not use any timber just ovoids 24*7? Would the kindling not smoke up the glass some?

I use a few bits of kindling to get it started, glass gets a bit dirty due to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I use a firelighter & a few sticks. They do slightly smoke the glass but it clears as the glass heats up. The key is that the sticks need to be really dry. I keep some next to the stove to dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

So burning timber is gone the way of the dodo?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

So burning timber is gone the way of the dodo?

I use a mix of ovoids and timber.

For anyone in the Wexford area,Freeman's shop in Oylegate are doing deals on coal. 2 bags of 40kg smokeless City blend for €27 AFAIK its a mix of ovoids,lignite and standard smokeless coal. Other deals also but not sure about prices but they seem to be pretty reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭bossdrum

What would be the best coal to get to burn in an open fire?
    I bought a pallet of the cheapest coal last year but there was a lot of stones included and there was a lot of unburnt coal left in the morning.
    Also when burning small bits of coal were thrown out which was quite dangerous.
    Would the black diamond be good or the ovoids?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

bossdrum wrote: »
    What would be the best coal to get to burn in an open fire?
    I bought a pallet of the cheapest coal last year but there was a lot of stones included and there was a lot of unburnt coal left in the morning.
    Also when burning small bits of coal were thrown out which was quite dangerous.
    Would the black diamond be good or the ovoids?

Black Diamond, though in all honesty none of the coal warehouse coal has come near the staffords premium coal in silver bag - but thats about 6 quid a 40kg bag dearer and I dont think its 33% better, if it was 12 euro a bag it would be the best by far imo

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭deisedav

Yeah the staffords coal is good alright but it's too expensive. It's up at around 20 a bag in Waterford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 mph_96

Yeah, Staffords (grey plastic bag) is good coal but costs around 420 euro a tonne delivered in Waterford.

Black Diamond from CW is 270 euro delivered and is very ok in comparison when the money is considered.

But I dont like the amount of small pieces in CW coal as they tend to get between the grate bars and causes them to distort quicker than usual.

Does anyone know if CW ovoids are ok to use with a 316 stainless steel chimney liner???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

mph_96 wrote: »

Does anyone know if CW ovoids are ok to use with a 316 stainless steel chimney liner???

Hmmmm no ideally not http://www.stovefittersmanual.co.uk/articles/what-grade-of-chimney-flue-liner-316-or-904/ but I'm quite sure a lot of people do.

Its 15 degrees at the moment and its easy to get lots of heat from your system whatever it may be .

But I believe when temp drops to zero , many of these users may have a different viewpoint of the stuff they burning from CW.

My opinion is not changing and I believe the only savings from CW are financial ones .

Lets come back to this again when its -2 outside .

Its 15 degrees at the moment and its easy to get lots of heat from your system whatever it may be .

But I believe when temp drops to zero , many of these users may have a different viewpoint of the stuff they burning from CW.

My opinion is not changing and I believe the only savings from CW are financial ones .

Ive being buying ovoids for 2 years from coal warehouse. No complaints at all with heat from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Welcome to BARGAIN ALERTS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

I've been burning the coal warehouse ovoids for over a year now and i never let the fire go out in the winter. I have tried every type of coal from every type of place and c.w. is the only place I have settled on.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

I've been buying ovoids from them for over 2 years and have to say they're exactly the same as the stuff I bought local, only the local ones were 1.5x the price. If you're using more than 1.5 times the amount of coal than it wouldn't be a financial saving.

My opinion is the people complaining about it would be better off putting the money towards bringing the insulation of their house up to standard instead.

I'd also like to say that I have no personal experience of their normal coal and have got mixed responses about it from people who i ordered it for...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Bought a load from Kosyking. The fact I could just order and get delivery via one site was a major plus. I'm too lazy to start emailing other companies etc. Don't think there is much price difference with coal warehouse.

I did get 1/3 of a ton off a mate last year from coal warehouse so will be interesting to see how Kosyking would compare in stoves

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭garion

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Bought a load from Kosyking. The fact I could just order and get delivery via one site was a major plus. I'm too lazy to start emailing other companies etc. Don't think there is much price difference with coal warehouse.

I did get 1/3 of a ton off a mate last year from coal warehouse so will be interesting to see how Kosyking would compare in stoves

I bought a tonne of smokeless ovoids from CoalWarehouse last year and this year I said I'd buy a tonne of the KosyKing smokeless ovoids, mainly for the same convenience reasons as you.

Here's my view having tried both:
    1. CW ovoids are twice as big as KK ovoids! I couldn't believe the difference in size when I opened the first bag from KK! I'll post pictures later to show the difference.
    2. KK ovoids do not generate 1/2 of the heat as CW ovoids. I have a Rayburn cooker heating 8 rads & the hot water. With KK ovoids the temperature of the cooker doesn't get much above Simmer (Simmer/Bake/Roast are the heat indicators). With CW ovoids it easily reaches Roast - and most importantly it stays there!
    3. The KK ovoids do burn alot longer, albeit at a much lower heat. 1 bucket lasted nearly 24 hours. However, when it did eventually go out I was left with 1/2 a fire full of unburnt cinders that I had to clear out before re-lighting the fire.
    4. With CW ovoids I get zero cinders and also very little ash. They also burn a decent length. 2 - 2.5 buckets a day will keep the house toasty & the kitchen will still be warm in the morning.

So, as you can tell from the above I'm very frustrated with the KK ovoids. The delivery may be more convenient (for me it actually wasn't - it took them 2 weeks to successfully do the drop after I got a call from a driver 10 mins from my house when no one was home to sign for it!) but in my view I paid about E50 more for an inferior product.

I've called KK once to complain and was told it was the first complaint they had about them and when I mentioned my comparison to CW they dismissed the quality of the CW coal. They said they'd call me back but no word yet.

Anyway, I still have 1/4 tonne of CW ovoids so have taken to manually mixing both batches and it's fine - but it's a mighty pain in the @rse.

So, I'll be going straight back to CW for my next order.

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Thanks for feedback, just out of interest which ovoids did you buy? I got the Premium Kosy Glo Ovoids (Full Ton)

Advertisement