Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I use Ecobrite & it gives virtually no flame. The glass on my stove stays clear. Do the ovoids do the same ?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I've a ton of ovoids being delivered tomorrow. No idea what time, at least I'm off. Made room in the shed for them earlier. And an uncle of herself is getting the same, but they have to be either carried or put on a trolley, as the side of the house is too tight for a wheel barrow.

Forgot to add. Paid everything in sterling, worked out at 325 yoyo's.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭lenscap

I was checking out the http://easyglow.ie and does seem like a very good deal at €317 including delivery anywhere in Ireland.

I checked further and found the following, 1 Ton Smokeless Coal Ovids - 50x20Kg Bags Free Delivery description:

"Our Smokeless ovoids, are a combination smokeless Anthracite Phurnacite and Pep Coke combination solid fuel for use on open fires and in most multi-fuel stoves and selected other cookers"

I am wondering is this the description of the ovoid or it is a description of a mix of ovoids and pet coke like country blend?

I burned that country type mix before and I didn't like it. I found the pet coke could burn too hot for my stove even when mixed with the ovoids.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I emailed them today and got a reply looking for my phone number to talk to me rather than bother tping descriptions.
    hmm.

On another note.
    I located a seller closer to home but I have a question.
    Is there different quality Ovoids?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭screamer

vectra wrote: »
    I emailed them today and got a reply looking for my phone number to talk to me rather than bother tping descriptions.
    hmm.

On another note.
    I located a seller closer to home but I have a question.
    Is there different quality Ovoids?

Yes there are differences. Like most things there are budget and premium ranges. The budget ranges usually are cheaper but they are usually made with more pet coke which flames like mad and I find is too hot. I find that I can never tell what an ovoid is going to be like in the stove till I actually burn it. I've had bad ones that just won't stay lighting and need constant air supply, good ones that last for hours and give nice controllable heat and flamers that I worried would damage the stove or chimney.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭vectra

screamer wrote: »
    Yes there are differences. Like most things there are budget and premium ranges. The budget ranges usually are cheaper but they are usually made with more pet coke which flames like mad and I find is too hot. I find that I can never tell what an ovoid is going to be like in the stove till I actually burn it. I've had bad ones that just won't stay lighting and need constant air supply, good ones that last for hours and give nice controllable heat and flamers that I worried would damage the stove or chimney.

Thanks for that.
    I was speaking to another seller yesterday ( Local guy )and he offered me a tonne of premium ovoids ( I can't think of the exact name )
    Ans 25 bales of some form of eco logs ?? ( I think they are the compressed waxy yokes ) for €490 delivered. Seems decent to me if it is a better quality product with longer burn times and better heat.
    I will try get the names of the products before I commit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Carpenter wrote: »
    Hi everyone check out this fantastic offer and share with family and friends.
    1 ton of polish doubles €300 delivered anywhere in Ireland .
    1 ton 50x20 kg are 25x40 bags of black diamond polish coal,delivered to your door for €300 no hidden charges,vat and courier charge

I just seen this on face book is it a good deal ??

Anyone been in touch with this guy? Looks to be posted in a few of the buy and sell type groups from a guy with the initials KM.

Just packed away 2 pallets of ovoids. Much handier, with the bags being just 20kg. They were as light as a feather compared to other years. We milled through the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Bawnmore wrote: »
    Anyone been in touch with this guy? Looks to be posted in a few of the buy and sell type groups from a guy with the initials KM.

Just to answer my own question - I messaged him Facebook. He does Polish Doubles or Black Diamond for €300 per tonne delivered anywhere in Ireland. He said they're a little backed up at the moment for deliveries so looking at between 7 and 14 days for delivery.

I had a look around at anywhere I could find the offer posted and there wasn't any indication of quality from people who had bought before so no idea what it's like quality wise. In between minds on this and the ovoids above for €312.

Anyone here bought from either of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭screamer

vectra wrote: »
    Thanks for that.
    I was speaking to another seller yesterday ( Local guy )and he offered me a tonne of premium ovoids ( I can't think of the exact name )
    Ans 25 bales of some form of eco logs ?? ( I think they are the compressed waxy yokes ) for €490 delivered. Seems decent to me if it is a better quality product with longer burn times and better heat.
    I will try get the names of the products before I commit.

Do find out what it's called, I've used Supertherm, SuperHeat, ecobrite, pearls, ecoheat (I think they're called), and by far Supertherm is the best, lasts longest and burns with nice medium flame. Superheat doesn't last as long. Ecobrite, well you need a lot of air to get it going, and it just glows, no flame really, and the pearls are flamers, way too hot for my stove, I think they'd be better on an open fire TBH. Sorry for the lack of a bargain alert, but I hope that someone finds this helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭reni10

beertons wrote: »
    Just packed away 2 pallets of ovoids. Much handier, with the bags being just 20kg. They were as light as a feather compared to other years. We milled through the work.

Who did you order from and what was the quality of the coal like?

reni10 wrote: »
    Who did you order from and what was the quality of the coal like?

Coal warehouse. Smokeless ovoids. Rang last Friday, delivered at 1030 this morning. When I was packing them away, found 2 more bags of slack from last year. My fourth time ordering from them.

Was shown a docket in a neighbours house, of coal purchase from a company with a store in Baltinglass, €150 of a saving per ton.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Indestructable

My stove is a massive one with a back boiler, a Hunter Herald 80b with a combined output of 26kw.
    Has anyone had any success with ovoids in a large stove? I haven't got it very long and need to find a good fuel. Will I be killed trying to feed it?

I sent an e-mail to http://easyglow.ie asking about their ovoids, were they mixed and if I can buy a bag before committing to a ton.

They rang me back within a few minutes to answer my questions.

The guy that I spoke to was Pat Smith. This is what he told me.

They only do ovoids and there are two types that are of interest (there is a 3rd but he said don't bother)

The large ovoid is designed for open or closed (stove) fire. The small ovoid is designed for stove only. The reason for this is that the small ovoid will burn better in a controlled air supply (stove) than an open fire. The big is designed for large air flow like an open fire or a stove with a large air draw.

They should give out the same heat as Cosy Glow ovoids or the ovoids from Kosy King or Coal Warehouse.

I can't buy a bay to try first because they only supply a ton pallet. He said that if I ordered a ton and was unhappy they would collect and refund.

I asked how are they so cheap. He said they are new to the private/household market and want to get market share but they also want to keep any new customers so hence the return & refund guarantee. Pat also said that they manufacture the ovoids and so are cutting out the middleman/agent/retailer.

They have 1 tone pallet for €312 or 1.6 ton pallet for €499 delivery included.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,263 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

My stove is a massive one with a back boiler, a Hunter Herald 80b with a combined output of 26kw.
    Has anyone had any success with ovoids in a large stove? I haven't got it very long and need to find a good fuel. Will I be killed trying to feed it?

We've a 17kw inset(not as big as yours obviously) and ecobrite is well able to heat up the rads and burns for ages.You'll only need to load it every few hours really. You should be able to find it at petrol stations and the like easy enough. It's pricey though, roughly a tenner for a 20kg bag unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭deisedav

lenscap wrote: »
    I sent an e-mail to http://easyglow.ie asking about their ovoids, were they mixed and if I can buy a bag before committing to a ton.

They only do ovoids and there are two types that are of interest (there is a 3rd but he said don't bother)

The large ovoid is designed for open or closed (stove) fire. The small ovoid is designed for stove only. The reason for this is that the small ovoid will burn better in a controlled air supply (stove) than an open fire. The big is designed for large air flow like an open fire or a stove with a large air draw.

They should give out the same heat as Cosy Glow ovoids or the ovoids from Kosy King or Coal Warehouse.

I can't buy a bay to try first because they only supply a ton pallet. He said that if I ordered a ton and was unhappy they would collect and refund.

I asked how are they so cheap. He said they are new to the private/household market and want to get market share but they also want to keep any new customers so hence the return & refund guarantee. Pat also said that they manufacture the ovoids and so are cutting out the middleman/agent/retailer.

Thank for the information. I wonder will they get sick of people emailing /ringing them and just put it up on the website. I couldn't be bothered doing it myself so fair play to ye

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rustynutz

Coal warehouse. Smokeless ovoids. Rang last Friday, delivered at 1030 this morning. When I was packing them away, found 2 more bags of slack from last year. My fourth time ordering from them.

Was shown a docket in a neighbours house, of coal purchase from a company with a store in Baltinglass, €150 of a saving per ton.

I'm just after placing an order with them also. €280 for the ton of ovoids, as I'm outside Dublin, it said delivery £51 on the DD add, but this has been bumped up to £60 according to the courier company, she said coal warehouse had been made aware of this, just something to consider if ordering.

screamer wrote: »
    Do find out what it's called, I've used Supertherm, SuperHeat, ecobrite, pearls, ecoheat (I think they're called), and by far Supertherm is the best, lasts longest and burns with nice medium flame. Superheat doesn't last as long. Ecobrite, well you need a lot of air to get it going, and it just glows, no flame really, and the pearls are flamers, way too hot for my stove, I think they'd be better on an open fire TBH. Sorry for the lack of a bargain alert, but I hope that someone finds this helpful.

I have found different. In my stove Ecobrite is easily the best. Yes it only glows but it's very controllable, lasts for ages & gives off loads of heat. It's also practically smokeless. The interior of my stove is like new & the glass stays clear.

I wish that I could find a bulk deal

Discodog wrote: »
    I have found different. In my stove Ecobrite is easily the best. Yes it only glows but it's very controllable, lasts for ages & gives off loads of heat. It's also practically smokeless. The interior of my stove is like new & the glass stays clear.

I wish that I could find a bulk deal

I did a quick google search and here is a site with a ton price , it's Roscommon based.
    http://connaughtonfuels.ie/coal?product_id=72

They are €435 for a ton of Ecobrite.

I actually counted 48 bags of ovoids, and 2 bags of slack. So they don't throw them in free. The cheeky feckers. Still a good price though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

I actually counted 48 bags of ovoids, and 2 bags of slack. So they don't throw them in free. The cheeky feckers. Still a good price though.
    I'd say whoever delivered your pallet is lighting the fire tonight

I did a quick google search and here is a site with a ton price , it's Roscommon based.
    http://connaughtonfuels.ie/coal?product_id=72

They are €435 for a ton of Ecobrite.

I only pay €9 per bag equivalent to €450 per tonne buying individual bags

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

call them. I was 1 bag down last year, they refunded me the cost of the bag

Discodog wrote: »
    I only pay €9 per bag equivalent to €450 per tonne buying individual bags

Is that 20 kg bags?

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭mrtom

What exactly are Ovoids made of? I'v heard compressed slack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

mrtom wrote: »
    What exactly are Ovoids made of? I'v heard compressed slack.

High output coal like antracite, other types of coal and pet coke.

Can't beat competition.
    This makes these the cheapest at the moment. Coal warehouse is £240 + £60 delivery = £300 or 336 euro. Coal warehouse delivery price letting them down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Please let us know how you get on. Would also be interested to know if there is much ash left after burning these in a stove the following morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,054 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

So easyglow is full bag of uniform ovoids? Not a blend of cheap and cheerful plus a few ovoids thrown in. It's a 100% bag of ovoids all the one size and shape.

• Advertisement

So easyglow is full bag of uniform ovoids? Not a blend of cheap and cheerful plus a few ovoids thrown in. It's a 100% bag of ovoids all the one size and shape.

No they are not a mix of cheap and cheerful with a few ovoids thrown in.
    I was told they are ovoids only, large for open fire or stove, small for stove only.

Advertisement