Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭deisedav

mph_96 wrote: »
    The biggest problem for several stove users is to find ovoids that are really suitable for use with a 316 chimney liner. Hence, lots of us are still using smoky coal.
    I've rang several suppliers and trying to get a definite answer from some of them about the PET content is difficult.
    So any recommendations for ovoids that are ok for use with the 316 chimney liner would be definitely welcome.
    Some of the lads put up links to the ingredients/ratios for the ovoids, might be worth a read . It was only recently put up so you won't have to look too far for it

• Registered Users Posts: 42 mph_96

Thanks Deiseday.

The info in the link is very good but only applies to UK

https://smokecontrol.defra.gov.uk

....................and I could not seem to get any info for CW or Kosyking products.

it's an awful pity that such a list doesn't exist for Irish ovoids etc.

A lot of stove suppliers are pointing people towards CPL fuels for ovoids...............I have spoken to their sales rep and to be fair, he gave good information. But the fuel cost is high thanks to our various taxes and levies.

Thanks Deiseday.

....................and I could not seem to get any info for CW or Kosyking products.

A lot of stove suppliers are pointing people towards CPL fuels for ovoids...............I have spoken to their sales rep and to be fair, he gave good information. But the fuel cost is high thanks to our various taxes and levies.

No problem. I would say that a lot of this fuel comes from England . You should give the lads in kosyking a quick call , they are very helpful in fairness and would give you a dig out if they could.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭screamer

Thanks Deiseday.

I find CPL the best TBH. I use supertherm ovoids. Have use their eco ones too and stove heat I think but supertherm by far better. They have very detailed tech info on their website regarding the fuel and output etc. I do agree at almost 20 euro for 40kgs it's expensive but it performs well.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

I bought a ton of Black Diamond coal from the Coal Warehouse a few weeks back. I'm sorry to say it's very poor quality and I'm not impressed at all. Very small pieces, I can live with that but it doesn't burn very well either. I'm left with a huge amount of cinders and unburnt coal in the stove every morning and it seems to form this hard crust over it. I won't be buying from them again.

I feel your pain, from an earlier post you can see I have the same problem, I've never experienced this with any coal in the past, lucky for me I only bought a few bags when I was getting the ovoids. The crust it forms is crazy and it's very possible as your breaking it with the poker that small bits could pop out, this is if your using it on an open fire like i am.
    What I've found is, if I put a log on top of the fire it brings out the head and burns 'ok' so maybe try mixing a bit of timber with it.

In regards the ovoids, top quality!
    my3cents wrote: »
    And having read this thread you didn't notice that ovoids get lots of recommendations for stoves and that Black Diamond isn't a stove fuel?

Hey mate :)

I have the same problem as above with the crust. I've gotten the polish before and the problem there was there was huge boulders and little pieces and it was very dirty. I was hoping this would do the job in our open fire so I could leave out the timber totally. But right away it wasn't burning right. I even went out and bought a new grate just to be sure as our old grate was starting to give way a little.
    I got nearly 2 ton of ovoids and very happy. I'm thinking of getting a pallet of that clear flame stuff for the open fire to maybe mix with some ovoids. There is no radiator in that room so needs decent heat from the open fire. The range looks after the rest of the house very very well using the ovoids.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

The biggest problem for several stove users is to find ovoids that are really suitable for use with a 316 chimney liner. Hence, lots of us are still using smoky coal.
    I've rang several suppliers and trying to get a definite answer from some of them about the PET content is difficult.
    So any recommendations for ovoids that are ok for use with the 316 chimney liner would be definitely welcome.

You could go the other way and use a lignite fuel like Union Nuggets.

The downside is you are paying a good bit more than ordinary coal and they give out less heat but they are a very easy, clean (as fuels go) and smokeless fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭El Nino09

lenscap wrote: »
    I got my delivery on Monday as arranged with Easyglow. On Saturday the transport company rang me to say that it would be a smaller lorry than the normal and the tail lift was smaller. For safety reasons they were splitting my ton of ovoids onto two pallets and the call was out of courtesy. The guy also said he would be delivering to me at 9:00 on Monday morning.

On Monday morning at 8:55 I got the call asking for directions to the house. Ten minutes later the first pallet is dropped kerbside of my drive. The delivery company name on the docket was Target.

Regarding a ton being a ton and bag size, well when emptied into the coal bunker a ton is still a ton (minus the bags). I can't see how a 20 or 40kg bag makes any difference to the amount of coal received.

Anyway I am happy with my ovoids from Easyglow. BTW they made a follow up phone call to see that I got my delivery ok and was I happy with everything. That was good customer service.

I had used Kosyking before and they were just as helpful and delivery friendly but Easyglow won on price this time. €321 V €363 (approx) delivered.

Just wondering was it mainly ash the next morning after using the oviods or was it mainly cinders ?
    Thanks

vectra wrote: »
    Easy Glo order arrived this morning.
    Delivery guy had an electric pallet truck and brought the pallet up the whole street. Nosey Gits out the doors looking LOL
    Anyhow, Got a pallet of mixed ovoids ( I thnik 30mm and 100mm is what Pat said they were.? )

Strange thing,
    With the past few years I have been getting deliveries from a local crowd.
    When the 20kg bags came to light I thought they were fierce handy so got those all the time.
    Most of the time I would have my coal bunker empty bar 3 or so buckets of coal just to keep it fresh and stop a build up of Dust in the bottom of it, Always it would take 12 x 20kg bags to brim it.
    Today my bunker was empty , Not one knob of coal in there.
    I thought this morning I would fill the binker first with the usual size ovoids ( 100mm )
    Surprise surprise. 10 bags later and I would have struggled big time to fit another one in there.
    Hmm. Go figure :)

So. Onwards and upwards.
    OH
    It was Monday AIB took the money from my account, it ended up at 330 euro .
    Cheapest I got an offer from ( the local guy that I normally get from was 430 )

Will post back with results.
    OH
    Got an email today from pat to know if my delivery arrived, I told him it did indeed.
    within 10 minutes I got a phone call and it was was the girl in the office , Just a call to ensure all went smoothly.
    All in all, Happy with the results.

How are yhe oviods going for you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Why not ask them about the sulphur content instead. The sulphur limit is much higher in the north 2% vs 0.7% in the south so if you're worried about your liner I would be worried about any kind of coal bituminous or otherwise brought in from the north. Stove only ovids like ecobrite / bnm are mostly carbon and should have a very low sulphur content.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭vectra

El Nino09 wrote: »
    How are yhe oviods going for you ?

No problems whatsoever,
    After seeing it out of the bags and burning it,
    I would imagine it is as close to identical to this stuff as possible,
    I have burned this stuff before.

0052081.jpg

• Advertisement

No problems whatsoever,
    After seeing it out of the bags and burning it,
    I would imagine it is as close to identical to this stuff as possible,
    I have burned this stuff before.

0052081.jpg

Is it mainly ash the next morning or cinders?
    Thanks

Is it mainly ash the next morning or cinders?
    Thanks

A mix of both,
    But, remember that currently I am using this in an open fire with backboiler. I am getting a door fitted to it shortly so maybe this will change.
    I dont mind the few cinders left as these light up again the next day when throw them back in once the fire is going.
    I do clean it out every day.
    Both ash and cinders are really minimal so this wouldn't bother me.

A mix of both,
    But, remember that currently I am using this in an open fire with backboiler. I am getting a door fitted to it shortly so maybe this will change.
    I dont mind the few cinders left as these light up again the next day when throw them back in once the fire is going.

Thanks Vectra . I think i will try them out

Thanks Vectra . I think i will try them out

And another plus with these is you have to clean your chimney a lot less than with regular coal.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,054 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

If lighting an open fire in evening at say 5pm until 1am how long would one expect a 20kg bag of Ovoids to last, with hard wood timber.
    I would like to get 120 days from 50 bags, possible ?

If lighting an open fire in evening at say 5pm until 1am how long would one expect a 20kg bag of Ovoids to last, with hard wood timber.
    I would like to get 120 days from 50 bags, possible ?

I'm hoping so myself as I got half a tonne last year and ran out so I just got a full tonne last week. I'm reasonably confident it will last the year. I'd have roughly the same use as yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭jaffa20

That's about 60kgs per week:eek: Would they last longer in a stove compared to open fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭screamer

A mix of both,

If these burn well in an open fire i think they'd be flamers in a stove. Are they specifically for open fires or stoves? I'm thinking about buying some but not if they're flamers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

I got my tonne of smokeless ovoids from coal warehouse delivered today. €350 for everything. I'm very happy with the quality of the coal and it was well worth paying the extra ( I got a tonne of polish last year and it was cheap but very messy) When talking to the delivery company I was assured they would would ring me the night before delivery and again this year I got a call when they were 20 mins away. I was expecting it this time and had arranged for the coal to be delivered to a relatives house. It's fine but not ideal as I then had to move it home myself. Might look at using a different delivery co. next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Just wondering how the small ovoids from easyglo are going for those who have bought them. Thinking of taking the plunge how do these compare with Coal warehouse Ovoids and is there much ash left over in the morning? TIA

• Advertisement

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Just wondering how the small ovoids from easyglo are going for those who have bought them. Thinking of taking the plunge how do these compare with Coal warehouse Ovoids and is there much ash left over in the morning? TIA

I havent tried them yet,
    I got a tonne of mixed and am extremely happy with the large ones. This is in an open backboiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭fabvinny

Got a pallet of black diamond coal from the coal warehouse. €284 for the pallet delivered. works out just over €11 for a 40kg bag. Have to say,having burned a bag of it so far,its great coal! great heat from it!

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Took up an old polished hardwood floor , was wondering could I burn it in the stove

rebeve wrote: »
    Took up an old polished hardwood floor , was wondering could I burn it in the stove

No reason you can't. Once its going just don't forget to turn close it right off so you don't get a run away fire going.

Also very handy to cut up and split a load of if as kindling.

Some will winge and say the polish will damage the chimney, stove, environment or some such but we've burned much worse with no ill effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭naughto

my3cents wrote: »
    No reason you can't. Once its going just don't forget to turn close it right off so you don't get a run away fire going.

Also very handy to cut up and split a load of if as kindling.

Some will winge and say the polish will damage the chimney, stove, environment or some such but we've burned much worse with no ill effect.

I'd be the same let it in to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭pawrick

Cape Clear wrote: »

I've tried them out in a stove and an open fire now, great heat out of them and all turns to ash, best of all I've emptied about 15 bags in to my coal bunker and haven't seen any dust unlike the the stuff available locally.

the delivery company messed up my order (my brother signed for it without checking) and give me a full pallet of the small ovids instead of 50/50 with the open fire coal but i didn't complain as it's burning so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

Just a bit more feedback for anyone wondering I got a ton of ovoids from Kosy King

Non smokeless ones we have a small stove and an open fire I couldnt get over how long they lasted in the stove we use that play room during the day with the kids and have another sitting room for the evening with an open fire not heating rads

Theyre all large about 4 inches by 2 inches roughly and theres great heat in the stove put some on the open fire there now took a while to get going but have being giving off consistent heat

I've tried all sorts the

country blend - too many small bits of pebbles and rocks
    Doubles - Again bits that didnt burn or burnt too quick
    union nuggets - VERY VERY sparky

Really impressed with the ovoids they give a consistent good heat and dont burn out fast and id imagine no small bits will make clean sh1t of the grate

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭2forjoy

I was going to buy their nuggets . When you say the country blend ,doubles and nuggets are not great , do you mean the Coal Warehouse ones ?.

2forjoy wrote: »
    I was going to buy their nuggets . When you say the country blend ,doubles and nuggets are not great , do you mean the Coal Warehouse ones ?.

Union Nuggets should be the same anywhere you buy them its a brand (UN embossed in each one). The generic equivalent is lignite nuggets (round rather than hexagonal) which essentially are the same. In either the only thing that is different is probably the binder which is some sort of clay they mix in to hold them together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

2forjoy wrote: »

I got Kosy King ones and locally sourced nuggets singles polish coal etc and found them all the same I cannot believe the difference with ovoids

i put a fire log in the open fire and half a bucket of ovoids to be fair it took a while to get going if she had a bit of timer under her she'd have went up a lot easier

They make the ovoids or produce them and the quality is noticeable

Advertisement