Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

my3cents wrote: »
    Union Nuggets should be the same anywhere you buy them its a brand (UN embossed in each one). The generic equivalent is lignite nuggets (round rather than hexagonal) which essentially are the same. In either the only thing that is different is probably the binder which is some sort of clay they mix in to hold them together.

The sparks off them we're ridiculous look at the fire and a shower of sparks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Bazzy wrote: »
    I got Kosy King ones and locally sourced nuggets singles polish coal etc and found them all the same I cannot believe the difference with ovoids

i put a fire log in the open fire and half a bucket of ovoids to be fair it took a while to get going if she had a bit of timer under her she'd have went up a lot easier

They make the ovoids or produce them and the quality is noticeable
    The sparks off them we're ridiculous look at the fire and a shower of sparks

So not Coal Warehouse Union Nuggets? Just trying to get to the bottom of this as I've never had a problem with genuine Union Nuggets.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭2forjoy

I have insert stove so sparks wont be problem i hope

2forjoy wrote: »
    I have insert stove so sparks wont be problem i hope

I'd recommend Union Nuggets to anyone who can understand what they are getting. Union Nuggets work out quite expensive for the amount of heat they give out especially when compared with Ovoids however Union Nuggets are a convenient easy to use smokeless fuel.

If you want the max heat for least cost then go with Ovoids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭qhe0i9zvfgdou8

Could anyone tell me if there's a brand of ovoids that can be bought locally that would be similar to cosyking/warehouse ones. Just to see how they go without buying a ton

• Advertisement

Could anyone tell me if there's a brand of ovoids that can be bought locally that would be similar to cosyking/warehouse ones. Just to see how they go without buying a ton

The Ovoids I've had from our local Glambia seemed to be the same as the ones from Coal Warehouse, can't speak for ones from cosyking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭qhe0i9zvfgdou8

my3cents wrote:
    The Ovoids I've had from our local Glambia seemed to be the same as the ones from Coal Warehouse, can't speak for ones from cosyking.

Thanks for that do you remember the brand by any chance

Thanks for that do you remember the brand by any chance

There wasn't a brand I remember my local Glambia only sells one type of Ovoids so I doubt you'll have any choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Where in the country are you? Someone local to you on here might sell you a bag at cost and then you could do the same for them if you buy the tonne

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Just wondering how the small ovoids from easyglo are going for those who have bought them. Thinking of taking the plunge how do these compare with Coal warehouse Ovoids and is there much ash left over in the morning? TIA

I oopened a bag of small ovoids for curiosity,
    Personally I would prefer the bigger ones for the actual lighting stage, so tonight I lit with the bigger ovoids and definitely these light up faster and heat the house quicker than my local ones. I find the burn longer as well,
    anyhow, It was around 5pm I lit the fire, Small amount of kindling and firelighter.
    Not too many large ovoids, Once they got going I put some more on top,
    At around 6.30 I put probably less than half bucket of small ovoids on top of this.
    Mother of god I am dying with the heat.
    Righ now it is glowing red and pump is still spinning. I havent felt my rads this hot in a long long time.
    This was taken around 10 pm or so tonight.

429876.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

I Wouldnt imagine theres too many plants or factories pumping out Ovoids

Very little ash off them couldnt believe it i'm well and truly converted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

I Wouldnt imagine theres too many plants or factories pumping out Ovoids

Very little ash off them couldnt believe it i'm well and truly converted

You would be surprised how many, and another one being built in foynes costing over twenty million

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

my3cents wrote: »
    There wasn't a brand I remember my local Glambia only sells one type of Ovoids so I doubt you'll have any choice.

I spoke to a lorry driver last weekend who use to work for Liam Connolly. Basically all the local co ops down south buy from coal warehouse and sell them on at the inflated prices

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

physioman wrote: »
    I spoke to a lorry driver last weekend who use to work for Liam Connolly. Basically all the local co ops down south buy from coal warehouse and sell them on at the inflated prices

They have to charge carbon tax. I know a local supplier who is campaigning to stop coal being transported south without the tax being added

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

physioman wrote: »

Carbon tax
    Higher vat 13.5% v 5%
    Retail costs

As said earlier, I found the cosy king "gold" coal very poor and have reverted back to buying bnm "house coal" from Quinns - not a big difference in price,

• Registered Users Posts: 36,054 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

What would be the highest retail price down south for a bag of 20kg Ovoids ?

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭deisedav

What would be the highest retail price down south for a bag of 20kg Ovoids ?

I was on a local shop on Friday and I saw bags of supertherm 20kg for sale at 12.50 . Pretty tasty

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

deisedav wrote: »
    I was on a local shop on Friday and I saw bags of supertherm 20kg for sale at 12.50 . Pretty tasty

Without doubt the best coal on the market but that's not really a great price TBH. You can get the 40kg bags for 20euro. Last year I got 120Kg of Superthem, 2 bales of briquettes and a bag of kindling for 60euro http://www.quinns.ie/index.php/fuel-packs-101014/

JaCrispy wrote: »
    Without doubt the best coal on the market but that's not really a great price TBH. You can get the 40kg bags for 20euro. Last year I got 120Kg of Superthem, 2 bales of briquettes and a bag of kindling for 60euro http://www.quinns.ie/index.php/fuel-packs-101014/

The fuel deals seem reasonable there in fairness. I hear the supertherm is good, never used it myself. Very happy with the ovoids from kosyking, using in an open fire, not massive flame from them but the heat they throw out is impressive. Worked out at about 7 quid per 20kg bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭naughto

JaCrispy wrote: »

If you could bulk buy that offer it would be great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

That's expensive. I pay €9 for a 20 kg bag of Ecobrite & that's a really top quality, premium fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Looking for a bit of advice please lads. I’ve been following this thread for a while now. Basically I’ve a massive stove that has a back boiler . I am looking at getting a half a time of coal which means Kosy King as they do half tones .

Getting a half tone as not sure I would need a full tone just yet.

I see everyone saying to use Ovids to use in the stuff. What would the best ovids from Kosy king be ? Cheers lads .

bigron2109 wrote: »
    Looking for a bit of advice please lads. I’ve been following this thread for a while now. Basically I’ve a massive stove that has a back boiler . I am looking at getting a half a time of coal which means Kosy King as they do half tones .

Getting a half tone as not sure I would need a full tone just yet.

I see everyone saying to use Ovids to use in the stuff. What would the best ovids from Kosy king be ? Cheers lads .

Don't have a stove but I can recommend the ovoids that are not on the smokeless page on the website, the kosyking premium ovoids . These are the larger ovoid and they produce great heat with very little smoke when they get lighting. I got the maxi brite ones last year which are about the size of a golf ball, good heat too but not a patch on the larger ones. I can see why they would work great in a stove.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭mjv2ydratu679c

Don't have a stove but I can recommend the ovoids that are not on the smokeless page on the website, the kosyking premium ovoids . These are the larger ovoid and they produce great heat with very little smoke when they get lighting. I got the maxi brite ones last year which are about the size of a golf ball, good heat too but not a patch on the larger ones. I can see why they would work great in a stove.

These ones?

http://www.kosyking.com/domestic-fuel-wholesale-coal-products/high-quality-coal/premium-smokeless-ovoids-half-ton

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

vectra wrote: »
    I oopened a bag of small ovoids for curiosity,
    Personally I would prefer the bigger ones for the actual lighting stage, so tonight I lit with the bigger ovoids and definitely these light up faster and heat the house quicker than my local ones. I find the burn longer as well,
    anyhow, It was around 5pm I lit the fire, Small amount of kindling and firelighter.
    Not too many large ovoids, Once they got going I put some more on top,
    At around 6.30 I put probably less than half bucket of small ovoids on top of this.
    Mother of god I am dying with the heat.
    Righ now it is glowing red and pump is still spinning. I havent felt my rads this hot in a long long time.
    This was taken around 10 pm or so tonight.

Thanks taking the time to review these. I take it you have an open fire with back boiler. Just wondering if anyone has tried the easyglo ovids in a stove yet and how do they compare with the coal warehouse ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,054 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Discodog wrote: »
    That's expensive. I pay €9 for a 20 kg bag of Ecobrite & that's a really top quality, premium fuel.

I was looking for the most expensive bag. Just for reference
    I Got one ton of Ovoids delivered for 330.00
    The large Ovoid, from easy glow. Works out at 6.60 a bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Thanks taking the time to review these. I take it you have an open fire with back boiler. Just wondering if anyone has tried the easyglo ovids in a stove yet and how do they compare with the coal warehouse ones.

Open fire with backboiler is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Thanks pal for the advice . Much appreciated .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I got 80kgs of CPL supertherm today for 35euro. My local building providers (Topline) have 2 40kg bags on offer for 35 euro. Wish they would stock the 20kg bags. The 40kgs are a pain to shift.

Advertisement