Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭fabvinny

has anyone got columbian coal from them? had the black diamond,but the last two bags i burned were absolute rubbish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

That's good customer service considering I only got half a ton of polish/half a ton of ovoids last year.

So you got £20 off but you have 12 bags of rubbish coal. Not sure it's that good customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

So you got £20 off but you have 12 bags of rubbish coal. Not sure it's that good customer service.

Last year I spent 90 pounds on polish coal, I still have some left. It was the cheapest coal available anywhere by a long shot. It wasn't advertised as a premium product.

Today I was given a 20 pounds discount on an order I had already placed on a product I was delighted with that I could not source anywhere else in the world at a better price.

Personally speaking I think that was good customer service. I thought I'd let other posters know, if you know of somewhere else I can get better value I'd love to know.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Personally speaking I think that was good customer service. I thought I'd let other posters know, if you know of somewhere else I can get better value I'd love to know.

Fair enough I don't know of anyplace you'd get it cheaper. But surely coal at any price is only a bargain if you can burn it.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭howdoyouknow

fabvinny wrote:
    has anyone got columbian coal from them? had the black diamond,but the last two bags i burned were absolute rubbish!

I got a tonne of the columbian coal last year. My gut feeling is its just cheap polish coal in a columbian bag. Lots of coal dust in every bag. Pieces of coal ranging in size from pebbes to boulders. Its definitely not as good as the columbian premium coal id got locally the year before. That said it burns reasonably clean and gives off a good heat and it was considerably cheaper.

I'll probably buy from them again but ill get ovoids next time round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Fair enough I don't know of anyplace you'd get it cheaper.

Ok.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

I'm gonna go with Kosy King next time for the coal and the ovoids. I've read some positive reviews about their ovoids, not the smokeless ones but the smokey ones. It says not available to deliver to South Ireland but I'm sure they will. Works out nearly the same I think, with the added bonus that we don't have to book with Liam Connolly freight!

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Whats the best thing to do , if I want to bank the stove down by day .I got a few bags of slack from Coalwharehouse but I have never used it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I'm gonna go with Kosy King next time for the coal and the ovoids. I've read some positive reviews about their ovoids, not the smokeless ones but the smokey ones. It says not available to deliver to South Ireland but I'm sure they will. Works out nearly the same I think, with the added bonus that we don't have to book with Liam Connolly freight!

I got ovoids off them last year, the smokeless ones.....

I found them great

Do you have link to smoky ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭deisedav

Shefwedfan wrote: »

I found them great

They are the same ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

I got a ton of Kosy King non smokless Ovoids the heat off them is remarkable and Very very little ash i'd highly recommend them.

The only thing i'd say is they give off a bit of a smell outside when your lighting them once they take off its gone its hard to describe the smell I live very rural so no one would really smell it

On delivery clean $hit got made of one of the bags to be fair it more than likely happened going from one truck to another etc

i emailed them and they said next order they'd give me a bag to replace it and another bag cant argue with that

The bags are good and solid i've horsed them around into the shed, from shed to bunker

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭deisedav

Bazzy wrote: »
    I got a ton of Kosy King non smokless Ovoids the heat off them is remarkable and Very very little ash i'd highly recommend them.

The only thing i'd say is they give off a bit of a smell outside when your lighting them once they take off its gone its hard to describe the smell I live very rural so no one would really smell it

On delivery clean $hit got made of one of the bags to be fair it more than likely happened going from one truck to another etc

i emailed them and they said next order they'd give me a bag to replace it and another bag cant argue with that

The bags are good and solid i've horsed them around into the shed, from shed to bunker

Yeah the heat off these fellas is great. Once they get burning there is hardly any smoke off them. They last a long time even in an open fire. I would definitely recommend them. Kosyking are very helpful and easy to deal with too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭6541

Can you tell me how much it cost and how did you get delivery to the South ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

6541 wrote: »
    Can you tell me how much it cost and how did you get delivery to the South ?

it worked out at €334 delivered to County Galway for a ton of the non smokless

My Brother in Law took a bag and ordered a ton that evening as well

The equivalent bag super therm etc ranges from €12 to €18 for a 20kg bag i worked it out at just over €6.60 a bag

The rate on exchange was very good the day I purchased

Shefwedfan wrote: »

I found them great

These are the ones >>> http://www.kosyking.com/domestic-fuel-wholesale-coal-products/high-quality-coal/premium-stove-coal-ovoids-ton

I found multiple positive reviews on the net apart from there. There are 2 types on the site, the maxibrite which are the smokeless ones and then the above. I haven't ordered them yet, didn't have a chance to sit down and organize my Xmas finances but I will in the next few days.

The above should be roughly €356 including delivery to the south, call it even €360.
    The ovoids I got from the Coal Warehouse was roughly €345 including delivery I think. So an extra tenner or there abouts to order from Kosy King. Definitely nothing wrong with the ovoids from CW but I'm not buying off them again as a point of principal over that black diamond crap. I just pity people who got a ton of that or god forbid 2 ton etc... Either they (CW) got stung with it and they passed it on to their customers or they are getting it dirt cheap and making big profits on it. Either way its bad form selling that Black diamond to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Got a tonne of black diamond 2 years and again last year from cw. Pure crap the last time. Won't be going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭jaffa20

it worked out at €334 delivered to County Galway for a ton of the non smokless

My Brother in Law took a bag and ordered a ton that evening as well

The equivalent bag super therm etc ranges from €12 to €18 for a 20kg bag i worked it out at just over €6.60 a bag

The rate on exchange was very good the day I purchased

€18 for supertherm :eek: Who is selling at that price? I pay 10euro for 20kg bag in local building provider. It's by far the best smokeless coal i've tried so far. €6.60 a bag sounds appealing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭screamer

jaffa20 wrote: »
    €18 for supertherm :eek: Who is selling at that price? I pay 10euro for 20kg bag in local building provider. It's by far the best smokeless coal i've tried so far. €6.60 a bag sounds appealing though.

supertherm ranges from 18 to 19 euro for a 40kg bag. At a tenner for 20kgs you're paying too much. BTW I find it not so great this year and very ashy....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Just a general note to some comments above.

Black diamond is generally a product name to polish coal that’s been screened to remove the smaller pieces to make it a premium coal. First used by CDL in Dublin back in the early 90’s. A marketing ploy really.

Often what’s being passed as polish is actually French coal, it burns nearly as well and has the same clean glassy black appearance if you break a lump open. It’s not bad coal, just people won’t buy it if you sell it as French.

Premium coal should have no chips and slack, it should be screened so you only have decent sized pieces, that’s why it has a premium price - it costs money to screen it before bagging.

Colomban coal should be cheaper as it’s generally a less heat producing coal, it’s really good as a mix with say polish coal as they burn well together. Often something like Texan added to help them light faster.

These companies are bagging the coal themselves, they can add absolutely anything to the bags. Sometimes you get some crap in premium bags because the jokers aren’t empty when they switch to bag a new product.

If you see American mentioned on anything stay clear, it’s the most awful stuff, it melts together into a crust as someone mentioned above. It’s cheap, nasty stuff and even the smoke is dirty and extra smelly, if that’s being passed as anything your being seriously duped.

Lastly, the whole business is completely unregulated. There are no controls on what is called what and no accountability.
    If you get bad coal and pay for premium then insist it’s replaced.

_Brian wrote:
    Black diamond is generally a product name to polish coal that’s been screened to remove the smaller pieces to make it a premium coal. First used by CDL in Dublin back in the early 90’s. A marketing ploy really.

I was mistakenly under the impression that premium referred to the quality of the coal. Thanks very much for that information

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

_Brian wrote: »

Often what’s being passed as polish is actually French coal, it burns nearly as well and has the same clean glassy black appearance if you break a lump open. It’s not bad coal, just people won’t buy it if you sell it as French.

Premium coal should have no chips and slack, it should be screened so you only have decent sized pieces, that’s why it has a premium price - it costs money to screen it before bagging.

Colomban coal should be cheaper as it’s generally a less heat producing coal, it’s really good as a mix with say polish coal as they burn well together. Often something like Texan added to help them light faster.

These companies are bagging the coal themselves, they can add absolutely anything to the bags. Sometimes you get some crap in premium bags because the jokers aren’t empty when they switch to bag a new product.

If you see American mentioned on anything stay clear, it’s the most awful stuff, it melts together into a crust as someone mentioned above. It’s cheap, nasty stuff and even the smoke is dirty and extra smelly, if that’s being passed as anything your being seriously duped.

Lastly, the whole business is completely unregulated. There are no controls on what is called what and no accountability.

Very interesting post.
    Would that apply to smokeless ovoids as well or are they regulated?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

_Brian wrote: »

That American you mention sounds exactly like what Coal Warehouse are selling as Polish coal. My dad got half a ton of it when I was getting my ovoids. It's absolute muck. Somewhat passable of mixed with ovoids

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Ordered a ton of ovoids from CW last Monday. They arrived to Cork on Friday. Wasn't home her indoors coordinated the driver was happy to drop it behind the house and even put some of the bags on another pallet to help him move it over the pebble drive. 2 bags of slack included all in for 342 yo-yos. Went for the 20 kg bags this tine. Very happy with the whole transaction. Out of interest what is the best use of the slack looks like a bag of dust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Ordered a ton of ovoids from CW last Monday. They arrived to Cork on Friday. Wasn't home her indoors coordinated the driver was happy to drop it behind the house and even put some of the bags on another pallet to help him move it over the pebble drive. 2 bags of slack included all in for 242 yo-yos. Went for the 20 kg bags this tine. Very happy with the whole transaction. Out of interest what is the best use of the slack looks like a bag of dust.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056475570

In effect you smoother a fire with it before you go to bed and it burns slowly overnight giving out a bit of heat but ready to get going in the morning. Some people I know get a really good open fire going early evening so its all glowing red and giving out flame then cover the lot with about an inch or two of slack and then leave the whole lot to smoulder away for the rest of the evening.

Bit of a marmite type experience you either love it or hate it.

Edit> And here's a more involved traditional way of using it - traditional = hard dirty work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

That American you mention sounds exactly like what Coal Warehouse are selling as Polish coal. My dad got half a ton of it when I was getting my ovoids. It's absolute muck. Somewhat passable of mixed with ovoids

Was thinking the same myself! Ordered polish coal, it came in red bags with "premium coal" written on them, and burns like American coal!

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭howdoyouknow

chasm wrote:
    Was thinking the same myself! Ordered polish coal, it came in red bags with "premium coal" written on them, and burns like American coal!

The columbian i got burns similar to this. Good heat from it but it fuses together as it burns. The chimney does get alot sootier than when i was burning locally sourced coal.

Seems the more business they got and in essence the more money they made, made them more greedy in the long run. The only thing that is keeping them going is their ovoids but they're forcing people away with the muck they sold them. I won't touch them again thats for sure.

Seems the more business they got and in essence the more money they made, made them more greedy in the long run. The only thing that is keeping them going is their ovoids but they're forcing people away with the muck they sold them. I won't touch them again thats for sure.

Have to agree with this. I wont be giving them my custom again anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

The ovoids are no different to what I can buy here, so they will still get my business

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Ordered a ton of ovoids from CW last Monday. They arrived to Cork on Friday. Wasn't home her indoors coordinated the driver was happy to drop it behind the house and even put some of the bags on another pallet to help him move it over the pebble drive. 2 bags of slack included all in for 242 yo-yos. Went for the 20 kg bags this tine. Very happy with the whole transaction. Out of interest what is the best use of the slack looks like a bag of dust.

242? they are 280 on website?

Advertisement