Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    242? they are 280 on website?

Epic fail there that should of course read €342.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Epic fail there that should of course read €342.

I thought I had missed a huge bargain :D

Thanks

I thought I had missed a huge bargain :D

Thanks

Well if you had a truck and a willingness to trek North it would only cost you €270.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

_Brian wrote: »
    Just a general note to some comments above.

Black diamond is generally a product name to polish coal that’s been screened to remove the smaller pieces to make it a premium coal. First used by CDL in Dublin back in the early 90’s. A marketing ploy really.

Often what’s being passed as polish is actually French coal, it burns nearly as well and has the same clean glassy black appearance if you break a lump open. It’s not bad coal, just people won’t buy it if you sell it as French.

Premium coal should have no chips and slack, it should be screened so you only have decent sized pieces, that’s why it has a premium price - it costs money to screen it before bagging.

Colomban coal should be cheaper as it’s generally a less heat producing coal, it’s really good as a mix with say polish coal as they burn well together. Often something like Texan added to help them light faster.

These companies are bagging the coal themselves, they can add absolutely anything to the bags. Sometimes you get some crap in premium bags because the jokers aren’t empty when they switch to bag a new product.

If you see American mentioned on anything stay clear, it’s the most awful stuff, it melts together into a crust as someone mentioned above. It’s cheap, nasty stuff and even the smoke is dirty and extra smelly, if that’s being passed as anything your being seriously duped.

Lastly, the whole business is completely unregulated. There are no controls on what is called what and no accountability.
    If you get bad coal and pay for premium then insist it’s replaced.

Great post - we got Black Diamond from CW this year and it sounds exactly like you're describing American.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

Bawnmore wrote: »
    Great post - we got Black Diamond from CW this year and it sounds exactly like you're describing American.

Yea, unfortunately, bought a tonne of Black Diamond (after a recommendation) for my mother and it sounds exactly like as described above and very disappointing tbh.

I think i will only stick with the CW for ovoids as it seems some wool is being pulled over peoples eyes when it comes to their open fire coals - something has changed btw as their Black Diamond was rated, but now they seem to have been selling a cheaper product.

• Advertisement

From Easyglo FB page. Looks like these guys are trying hard to boost sales. Offer isn't any better than the CW one by7 my calculations.

SPECIAL OFFER!!!!!!

We have been experiencing some technical difficulties with our website over the last few days, but you will be glad to hear, we are back up and running again!!!

Due to the inconvenience we have decided to do a Super Saving Special: Buy 50 x 20kg (1 Tonne Pallet) of any of our Smokeless Coal Ovoids range and we will give you 5 x 20kg bags absolutely FREE!!!

Yes, that's correct 55 x 20kg Bags of Smokeless Coal Ovoids delivered to your door, anywhere in Ireland, for only £335!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Just watching the news, it seems coal will be banned everywhere in 2019 so what will happen if anyone happens to bring some in from the north?

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭deisedav

Just watching the news, it seems coal will be banned everywhere in 2019 so what will happen if anyone happens to bring some in from the north?

I'd say that will be Smokey coal. Should be ok with the avoids

Cape Clear wrote: »
    From Easyglo FB page. Looks like these guys are trying hard to boost sales. Offer isn't any better than the CW one by7 my calculations.

SPECIAL OFFER!!!!!!

We have been experiencing some technical difficulties with our website over the last few days, but you will be glad to hear, we are back up and running again!!!

Due to the inconvenience we have decided to do a Super Saving Special: Buy 50 x 20kg (1 Tonne Pallet) of any of our Smokeless Coal Ovoids range and we will give you 5 x 20kg bags absolutely FREE!!!

Yes, that's correct 55 x 20kg Bags of Smokeless Coal Ovoids delivered to your door, anywhere in Ireland, for only £335!!!

Kosyking are 362 for 1 tonne plus delivery.

So if I work out for 55 bags it would be 398.41

From what I can see Easyglow is 381 so a saving.....

What is best fuel from Easyglow? I have 2 stoves installed. One just heats the room and one for heating a back boiler. I am in smokey zone :p

Liam Neeson will find you..

• Advertisement

What is best fuel from Easyglow? I have 2 stoves installed. One just heats the room and one for heating a back boiler. I am in smokey zone :p

Not a saving on the Coal Warehouse price as I said above.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭vectra

On XEcom
    I get £335 = €380 / 55 x50 = 345 tonne

Looks like savings from Easyglo to me.

I am using the Easyglo small ovoids and find them brilliant.
    I got a mixed pallet so will be trying the big ones next.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭fabvinny

a few of us at work chipped in and ordered 2 pallets of columbian coal,worked out at €13 per bag.burned some last night and have to say it gives off good heat,much better than the black diamond we got a few months ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

fabvinny wrote: »
    a few of us at work chipped in and ordered 2 pallets of columbian coal,worked out at €13 per bag.burned some last night and have to say it gives off good heat,much better than the black diamond we got a few months ago!

Is the Columbian, smokey/smokeless/semi Smokey ?

I might order that next time.. currently have lots if black diamond

Put in order with Easyglow. Going with half and half of small/large ovoids. Will see how they work out.

The large ovoids are for the large stove/boiler which would eat the King Kosy ovoids last year. Will be interesting to see how they work. I talked to Pat and he recommended them.....

The large stove is Glemore 30B so it eats coal/logs

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Are the Ovoids from CW still ok , a bit nervous after the stories re the coal .I got a ton of the Ovoids from them last time and they were very good .

Ovoids are still grand. They've been warming me all day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Got a ton of black diamond off cw ,in 20 kg bags,they had no bags at the time to fill so she said it would be a day later than normal for delivery, used them the last 5 years, what I got is the same crusty muck ye mention here,I've complained but more or less ignored. Never order off them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Check out the coal warehouse facebook page.

rebeve wrote: »
    Are the Ovoids from CW still ok , a bit nervous after the stories re the coal .I got a ton of the Ovoids from them last time and they were very good .

Still good got a ton last week bags noticeably cleaner than the last time and coal top class so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Hi all,

Where is the best place to get decent coal if ordering a smaller amount? Really only need 4/5 bags. I checked with Coal Warehouse and the delivery cost doesn’t make it worthwhile. Anywhere else? (Dublin area).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Complained on FB page, they offered to replace the coal with the next level up Colombian stuff, as I'm a postie I'm flat out and wouldn't be around for delivery so I said discount me on nxt order and he gave 70 euro off plus free pallet delivery of nxt order,so about 130 euros worth.

Quite fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

quarryman wrote: »
    Hi all,

Where is the best place to get decent coal if ordering a smaller amount? Really only need 4/5 bags. I checked with Coal Warehouse and the delivery cost doesn’t make it worthwhile. Anywhere else? (Dublin area).

Do a search of the thread. Iirc, there has been a few post re offers available elsewhere. Or search Golden Pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Anyone buy the Colombian and is it any use? Used the Polish first time, then bought the Black Diamond, its better but burns really smoky and quickly, is the Colombian anything near Staffords Silver Bag ?

I too just got off the phone with them after ringing about the Black Diamond rubbish. I have to say they were very apologetic and took full responsibility. They have offered to discount my next order.

I know that I had previously said that Id never give them business again but that is the kind of customer service that has encouraged me to return. Credit where it is due.

quarryman wrote: »
    Hi all,

Not sure what type you are looking for but maybe this place is worth a shot. They appear to stock CW coal. I can highly recommend the smokeless ovoids but haven't tried any of the other types. https://www.facebook.com/corndublin/photos/a.2034556506831003.1073741829.2012322835721037/2034554566831197/?type=3&theater
    https://www.facebook.com/corndublin/photos/a.2012336159053038.1073741828.2012322835721037/2073107399642580/?type=3&theater

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

fabvinny wrote: »

I usually buy ovoids locally at €15.50 a bag. I tried their ordinary 'cheap' coal at €13.50 a bag and mixed them together. They burned brilliantly in my stove. I was a bit worried about extra smoke and soot by putting in ordinary coal but haven't had a problem so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I usually buy ovoids locally at €15.50 a bag. I tried their ordinary 'cheap' coal at €13.50 a bag and mixed them together. They burned brilliantly in my stove. I was a bit worried about extra smoke and soot by putting in ordinary coal but haven't had a problem so far.

I honestly don't know how you are getting good ovoids at that price :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Ordered from Coalwarehouse Monday afternoon , Driver arrived with the coal on Wenesday Morning .A very helpful guy he was too .The ovoids are still excellent .

Advertisement