Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭meathman0

Just about to place order, can anyone tell me with smokeless coal and ordinary coal, would the person on the street know the difference? thinking of ordering a mix, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭barrybones_wx

meathman0 wrote: »
    Just about to place order, can anyone tell me with smokeless coal and ordinary coal, would the person on the street know the difference? thinking of ordering a mix, thanks.

In a town or city you'd definitely notice when the wind isn't blowing. The smoke from ordinary smells like growing up in the 1980s.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Doodlebug

Great description! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭podge3

I was just on their Facebook page to decide which type of coal to get and it seems like people are having difficulty in getting through to them via phone.

Anyone on here placed an order in the past few days?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭galldar

podge3 wrote: »
    I was just on their Facebook page to decide which type of coal to get and it seems like people are having difficulty in getting through to them via phone.

Anyone on here placed an order in the past few days?

Got my delivery last Tuesday. Ordered late the Friday before. Rang ace express, said to expect a call from the coal warehouse within half an hour, but it was Monday lunchtime before they called. Seem to be really busy for some reason 😃 but still fast delivery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 sarciegit

ordered a pallet today, no problems, called me back within an hour aftet being on to ACE to order the courier, was told to expect delivery tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭flids.utd

ordered a pallet last Wednesday and got delivered just before 5 this evening and he still had more deliverys to do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭podge3

Thanks lads, the people who posted on Facebook must just have been unlucky when they couldn't get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Ordered with no hassle,the lads in the yard are very informative.Delivery is tomorrow.Saving a fortune compared to local prices on coal.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭meathman0

podge3 wrote: »
    Thanks lads, the people who posted on Facebook must just have been unlucky when they couldn't get through.

They had a problem with the land line, all sorted now, ordered my pallet this morning, delivery tomorrow .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

How do you go about paying?, do you need to have your card on you when calling or did they take payment when delivered?

Was thinking of ordering a pallet tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

How do you go about paying?, do you need to have your card on you when calling or did they take payment when delivered?

Was thinking of ordering a pallet tomorrow.

Card on you when you call Ace Transport

Card on you when the Coal Company (O'Neill Haulage) call you back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

i got my delivery 1st week of jan polish coal x23 bags and slack x2 bags, really good value however if burning in a back boiler stove you will have to open the air vent a bit more than usual ( i have a stanley eirn ). the heat is very good, some of the coal pieces are huge but burns well.

anyone try the more expensive coal ? is it worth it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

screamer wrote: »
    You'd be very surprised if you knew where they were all manufactured!

Coal is hit and miss, it depends what you get, a pallet of stuff that is hard as stones to burn or flies up the chimney is a lot to waste money on to find out......

There's different types of coal , each with different burn charactistics and ash content

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

pm. wrote: »
    i got my delivery 1st week of jan polish coal x23 bags and slack x2 bags, really good value however if burning in a back boiler stove you will have to open the air vent a bit more than usual ( i have a stanley eirn ). the heat is very good, some of the coal pieces are huge but burns well.

anyone try the more expensive coal ? is it worth it ?

Burning the Polish coal now,so far so good.:)

The guy from the coal warehouse recommended singles & slack for stoves but I already had the other coal on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

Thanks for that vicwatson, needed to know as it wasnt me putting the order in.

I was looking for a mix of smokeless ovoids and anthracite but they had no anthracite at all, apparently they had a lot of complaints about its quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Hey Guys

Have a insert stove been installed this week. From reading the thread I guess the Champion Premium Coal 40kg for €8 seems to be the best option.

Just wondering if buying from local would it compare to the following(just using Woodies as they are online)

http://www.woodiesdiy.com/Product/black-diamond-cosi-gem-coal-20kg/16131/3.5.9#.VMZSsi73RP0

Don't know anything about insert stoves. I burn mine in a boiler stove and really cant fault it one bit.
    I ordered a pallet before Christmas and sold 10 bags to a neighbour. They cant fault it either. I'll be ordering another pallet soon so you can gauge quality on that.

Ring the coalyard. They are very helpful and will advise you on the best option.

How can they sell it this low, compared to the Republic? (I know about carbon tax etc but..)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

vicwatson wrote: »
    How can they sell it this low, compared to the Republic? (I know about carbon tax etc but..)

Welcome to rip off Ireland :D the prices are cheap but they are much the same as I see from a retail discount supplier I know in the UK. Funny thing is you can even get peat blocks cheaper in the UK - depending on the exchange rate obviously.

People go on about the extra costs of retailing in Ireland, I'm convinced thats mostly rubbish the difference is the number of customers. In the UK the market is more than ten times bigger so if you provide a cheaper product you can make up the difference with the amount you are supplying.

But I think we may be taking the thread off topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

On the topic of peat briquettes being cheaper in the UK, you have the carbon tax and higher VAT level this side of the border to thank for that...

Carbon tax in ROI = €20 per ton
    Carbon tax in UK = €0

Vat ROI = 13.5%
    Vat UK = 5%

Cost of living, wages etc are higher in Ireland, than in the UK.

Expect to see the price of this coal rise by at least 10-15% this time with the fall in the value of the euro over the past 4-6 weeks.

my3cents wrote: »

But I think we may be taking the thread off topic.

Fair point, my bad

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

On the topic of peat briquettes being cheaper in the UK, you have the carbon tax and higher VAT level this side of the border to thank for that...

Carbon tax in UK = €0

Vat ROI = 13.5%
    Vat UK = 5%

Expect to see the price of this coal rise by at least 10-15% this time with the fall in the value of the euro over the past 4-6 weeks.

You can't compare fuel without knowing the energy content of each fuel

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭TTTT

Carbon tax in UK = €0

Vat ROI = 13.5%
    Vat UK = 5%

The carbon tax is €20 per tonne of carbon.
    This equates to €52.67 per tonne of coal.
    Add 13.5% Vat and it's €59.78 Carbon tax per tonne.

There's the rip off!

• Registered Users Posts: 82,510 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

TTTT wrote: »

There's the rip off!

In our tiny country imposing these pure nonsensical taxes to heat a persons home where the rest of the world doesn't impose the same taxes on their people is a scandal.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

TTTT wrote: »

There's the rip off!

Exactly, that makes it 25% more expensive in tax alone!

Rang for my second pallet this morning.

Prices are going up on Monday due to weakness of euro. If you order today you get current prices.

TheTorment wrote: »
    Rang for my second pallet this morning.

Prices are going up on Monday due to weakness of euro. If you order today you get current prices.

Too what did they say?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 invalidkey

Word is a rise of 80c on 40kg

• Advertisement

vicwatson wrote: »
    Too what did they say?

As above. 80c per 40kg bag

Advertisement