Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Regarding the cinders, cheap sieve and less than a minute and all saved, bag them in whatever small bags are around be they nappy sacks or the packaging from a sliced pan and then peg them on the fire when it's in full glow, they burn away, less waste and more bang for your buck...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

For a large quantity coal user like me Kerosene at current prices is nearly better value than €20 euro bags of coal...
    €40quid on Kerosene at my last price of 59 cent is 68ltrs, in a week with a modern high efficiency burner that's a good bit of heat.
    If your stove isn't at full efficiency i.e. fully loaded going full pelt kerosene is pretty close at the moment in theory. Unfortunately its too easy for the wife / kids to crank up the Euros on the timer and thermostat so coal still works out a lot cheaper :)

With regard to sieving coal you'd want a good mask to be doing that PAC's from burnt bituminous coal are highly carcinogenic not to mention heavy metals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

hi all

well ordered the coal yesterday lunchtime got delivery this morning :) as promised i burnt the ovoids first... they are a little bit harder to light compared to the polish coal but not that bad. with regards to the heat i have a thermostat on the chimney of the stove, with the polish it hits just over 200c with the ovoids they hit 165c but they do burn for over 2 hours before the temperature drops to 115c.

at this point i reload the fire ( stanley erin back boiler ) i also burning the ovoids with some logs.

in the kids room i have a small 6kw non boiler stove you will get 3.5 to 4 hours of good heat using the ovoids, then just stoke the fire and add logs, the fire still has enough heat to burn logs without adding more ovoids. as for ash wont know until tomorrow but i am burning logs also.

my verdict... stay with the polish coal its a lot cheaper and better value for money, however if you want to burn smokeless you wont go wrong with these ovoids they are the same quality as the 20 euro bag i buy locally

tomorrow i will try the black diamond mix semi smokeless

hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭_Jumper_

I got a pallet 2 weeks ago. 15 bags of premium polish, 2 doubles and 4 each of Ovids and ClearFlame (both smokeless, clearflame is hot stuff).
    I said id like and share their facebook page so they knocked of the price of 2 bags and bill came to something like €204.

I have an Olymberyl Aidan stove, this is a big stove, can take 8+ kg of coal at a time, in an eve lighting at 4 we could go through 12kg (+2 logs of my own timber either side of fire to keep it well together and built up).
    This 12kg per day is costing me €3.17 incl delivery (26.4 cent a kg), my previous cosyglow was costing me €19.50 or 48.75 cent a kg (€5.85 pd).
    I am burning a bit more coal now because I can afford too.

For a large quantity coal user like me Kerosene at current prices is nearly better value than €20 euro bags of coal...
    €40quid on Kerosene at my last price of 59 cent is 68ltrs, in a week with a modern high efficiency burner that's a good bit of heat.

I mix mine, sounds like heartship but its not really.
    I fill 10 plastic buckets at a time, 1/2 with cheap polish, 1/4 with each of other two, these can just be emptied into house coal bucket as required, meaning the Mrs or anyone can do it if I am away.

Its working out great value for me and the mix works best, you would need to keep the air going under it, if you don't it will burn alright but will be left with more cinders in the morning..

Once fire gets lower at about 10pm I would almost fully open door and let it burn hot for the rest of the night, this reduces cinders by 50% or more. if this was not done could be taking out 1/5th of a bucket of cinders.

Must be an ould house to be burning through so much?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Midlandsman80

_Jumper_ wrote: »
    Must be an ould house to be burning through so much?

Yep, late 70s large bungalow with gunbarrel piping to 14 old rads, if lucky the insulation on piping to rads consists of a bit of rockwool thrown on top...😳
    About a 16ft run from stove to cylinder, not ideal but had to be that way.

still a big stove like this would take that much to get any value of of it.
    it's a rented house, landlord funded stove I installed with friends.

modern Rads and really well insulated plumbing and walls would mean a smaller stove...

It is putting a lot more heat into the house and the house it retaining it as it's getting it every day,
    a modern fully efficient house would be some oven with 12kg of this stuff buring per day....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭charlesh

Ordered mine yesterday at 2pm - delivered today at 2pm.
    Dublin.
    Was out tonight , but still got a couple of hours of stovage in.
    Got a ton of premium - so far so good.

Yep, late 70s large bungalow with gunbarrel piping to 14 old rads, if lucky the insulation on piping to rads consists of a bit of rockwool thrown on top...😳
    About a 16ft run from stove to cylinder, not ideal but had to be that way.

still a big stove like this would take that much to get any value of of it.
    it's a rented house, landlord funded stove I installed with friends.

modern Rads and really well insulated plumbing and walls would mean a smaller stove...

It is putting a lot more heat into the house and the house it retaining it as it's getting it every day,
    a modern fully efficient house would be some oven with 12kg of this stuff buring per day....

12kg is very low compared to the national heating statistics for detached houses especially considering this weather.

12kg standard coal equates to burning about 7l of kerosene when you take back boil stove and non condensing oil boiler efficiency into account.

Over heating season:
    32 weeks x 7 days = 224 days x 12kg = 2688kg = 21235kwh

In reality it would be more like 17000-19000kwh since your consumption will be less in the early and late months.

The average cost of heating a home in ireland could be guestimated somewhere between 12000kwh for a 2 bed terraced to 25000kwh for a 4/5 bed detached.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

I've been watching this thread and trying to decide which coal to go with? Last week I bought a couple of 20kg bags of smokeless from a petrol station in mount brown @ 7.99 a bag. The smokeless coal seems to contain lignite nuggets and a petcoke blend which is not recommended for stoves under warranty but mixing this blend with some peat briquettes has given me great results. I have a flue thermometer stuck to the front of the stove and when it gets to 250c I close off the vents a little and cool the burn, the heat and amount of fuel used is impressive. Has anybody else here used a petcoke blend in a stove? Btw I'm using a town and country little thurlow stove..

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭charlesh

forgot to say the premium coal is now 8.80 for 40kg.

Cocoon wrote: »
    Has anybody else here used a petcoke blend in a stove? Btw I'm using a town and country little thurlow stove..

My wife bought it inadvertently and warped the front bars in one stove to the point that they have to be replaced and warped the grate in the other stove. If you're religious about tending it maybe you'll get away with it but forget the baffle open and by the time you hear it roaring its too late.

Only the crappy smokeless fuels are petcoke/lignite by the way, ovoids are up to 98% carbon and do have a protective ash layer .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Waynesireland

Seems like good deal! The same smokeless bag in South East is 22.50 at my local store anyway, thieving f ers!

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭mrtom

slave1 wrote: »
    Regarding the cinders, cheap sieve and less than a minute and all saved, bag them in whatever small bags are around be they nappy sacks or the packaging from a sliced pan and then peg them on the fire when it's in full glow, they burn away, less waste and more bang for your buck...
    Does this amount of cinders the next morning seem usual with the yellow bag Polish coal? Seems a lot to me !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Kat1170

mrtom wrote: »
    Does this amount of cinders the next morning seem usual with the yellow bag Polish coal? Seems a lot to me !

I've had more on some Expensive' coal. I just put them on the fire to reburn the following evening

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭mrtom

Kat1170 wrote: »
    I've had more on some Expensive' coal. I just put them on the fire to reburn the following evening

I do that as well, I hoped some bright spark on this thread would educate me on “optimum combustion” as we compare the various properties of coal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

i never throw them out, free the ash and reburn the next fire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

mrtom wrote: »
    I do that as well, I hoped some bright spark on this thread would educate me on “optimum combustion” as we compare the various properties of coal.

I'd have that amount or more. I asked earlier in thread about this as well and as has been said I just put them back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Ya, i have that every morning too. What i do is, light 5 briquettes, surrounding them with the cinders from the coal. When they take off, add some wood or more coal - they'll be glowing in no time!

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

Guys Im gonna pull the trigger on a pallet of coal... the savings are just to great to ignore

If anyone wants to go half post in this thread and let me know

If nobody is interested I will keep it for myself

If anyone wants to buy half of it you will need to collect it because I dont have a jeep or van

I am located in ballyfermot, dublin 10

I'll wait for a day or two to see if anyones interested and if not ill keep the full pallet for myself

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

Are the delivery prices for ace that are quoted on the coalwarehouse FB page correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

chasm wrote: »
    Are the delivery prices for ace that are quoted on the coalwarehouse FB page correct?

Copy and paste the prices and we'll tell you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

vicwatson wrote: »
    Copy and paste the prices and we'll tell you

These were the prices quoted in December.

"*** 1ton delivery pallet***

Donegal is €72.19

Dublin is €46.13

All of Northern Ireland is €58.43

Meath
    Kildare
    Wicklow
    Offal
    Kilkenny
    Monaghan
    Louth
    Carlow
    Wexford are €58.43

West Meath
    Langford
    Cavan
    Roscommon
    Limerick
    Sligo
    Leitrim are €60.89

Cork
    Kerry
    Galway
    Mayo
    Clare
    Carlow
    Tipperary are €64.89

This is for 1pallet/1ton or less, for delivery charges."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

It was €46.13 for me in December to Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 12 gr227x

Hi Lads , Ordered on Tuesday morning got it in cork today great service and thanks for the bargain alert. Just one question reading the forum people are saying the champion coal is the best coal for the money at 8.80 a bag. Does anybody know the difference between the pink bags and yellow bags most people talk about yellow bags. I paid 8.80 a bag and got the pink bags of coal are they the same and if somebody got both can they let us know the difference.

Thank you

gr227x wrote: »
    Hi Lads , Ordered on Tuesday morning got it in cork today great service and thanks for the bargain alert. Just one question reading the forum people are saying the champion coal is the best coal for the money at 8.80 a bag. Does anybody know the difference between the pink bags and yellow bags most people talk about yellow bags. I paid 8.80 a bag and got the pink bags of coal are they the same and if somebody got both can they let us know the difference.

Thank you

I'm guessing the size of the pieces premium coal would be larger pieces the cheapers stuff would be doubles.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭cathalj

For anyone near to Straffin/Maynooth who doesn't want to fork out for a full pallet, Monaghan Fuels are doing a deal - buy 5 bags get 1 free... Its only till the weekend (I only found out tonight)... they are 5 mins off the N4 (maynooth exit)... I got 6 bags of superflame smokeless usually 19.50 a bag, works out at 16.25 after discount.... as far as I know it's on all their coals, but please ring them to make sure before travelling on my say so !! .... they used to be liquidation fuels and that's the website to look up (sorry don't know how to post a link)

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭tomslick

I got a pallet of the premium coal at €8 a bag. The pallet was split between three of us. If I bought the bags down town I'd bring them back. All 25 bags were the same.The coal pieces are a mixture of massive but mainly large doubles and slack/pebble size. It burns great in my stove. For the money it's perfect but as I've said, of I'd paid €18 a bag I'd bring it back.

All that said I'll be ordering another pallet soon. Just don't think your getting bnm premium quality for €8

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭KaaaaaaPOW

Wah?

€10 cheaper, burns great, buy again,
    but big big take it back...wah?

Was giving an honest opinion on the bags. When we emptied the bags into the bunkers our hearts sank when we seen the state of the coal. The amount of small crap in the bags is unreal. At the price you'd get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭meathman0

tomslick wrote: »
    Was giving an honest opinion on the bags. When we emptied the bags into the bunkers our hearts sank when we seen the state of the coal. The amount of small crap in the bags is unreal. At the price you'd get over it.

Have to agree with above, I got some of the Black Diamond €10 bags as well and it's much better nice size pieces, worth the extra.

• Advertisement

meathman0 wrote: »
    Have to agree with above, I got some of the Black Diamond €10 bags as well and it's much better nice size pieces, worth the extra.
    Great to know. Will order these the next time. Thanks.

Advertisement