Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

my3cents wrote: »
    Sorry forgot that one was one you couldn't put together without the grate in it. There were a couple of stanleys that had the option of missing out the grate if you were only burning wood.

Coal needs air from below (going through it) to burn well and wood doesn't even need a grate as it can burn with air from above/side, so I'd be checking if the stove was leaking air? If the chimney has a good draft there is the chance that air is being pulled in around the top of the stove and going straight up the chimney.

Just a stab at it but worth checking.

I could be wrong, but if it was leaking, it would burn more, it would still be drawn into the fire and combust

I have the air supply , only one open full and the fire is not raging,if anything, it tends to die off

the coal seems to be choking the air supply

why are you getting good heat out of coal? what Stove?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I could be wrong, but if it was leaking, it would burn more, it would still be drawn into the fire and combust

I have the air supply , only one open full and the fire is not raging,if anything, it tends to die off

the coal seems to be choking the air supply

why are you getting good heat out of coal? what Stove?

Several stoves in the past but currently a stanley cooker.

It would burn more but never had a problem with a coal in any stove with a decent flue and a grate. Our old stanley 104 is wood only no grate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

sounds like your stove isnt getting enough air

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭El Nino09

Hi , Anyone get small ovoids from Easy Glow recently ? Got them 2 years ago and thought they were fantastic , hardly any ash left next morning . Got them again last year but found there to be a load off ash the nest morning after using them , also thought was less heat of them . Who do people think have the best ovoids ?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

El Nino09 wrote: »
    Hi , Anyone get small ovoids from Easy Glow recently ? Got them 2 years ago and thought they were fantastic , hardly any ash left next morning . Got them again last year but found there to be a load off ash the nest morning after using them , also thought was less heat of them . Who do people think have the best ovoids ?
    Thanks

CW ovoids are the dogs bollox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,327 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

El Nino09 wrote: »
    Thanks

http://www.cplfuels.ie/products/supertherm-smokeless-coal

These are very good and if you buy I bulk locally you can normally get a deal, co-op are €38 for 2 x 40kg bags

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 15,543 ✭✭✭✭vectra

OmegaGene wrote: »
    http://www.cplfuels.ie/products/supertherm-smokeless-coal

These are very good and if you buy I bulk locally you can normally get a deal, co-op are €38 for 2 x 40kg bags

Or €55 for 5 x 20kg bags PLUS one free = 6 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Got next winters fuel - tonne of Union Nuggets from Coal Direct €373. Probably not the cheapest but included delivery and the 25kg sacks made restacking it all in a shed nice and easy. Thats equivalent to a lit less than €15 for a 40kg bag and locally its €16.50 a bag and no delivery so all in all worth buying a tonne.

My usual note about Union Nuggets, they aren't the highest heat or cheapest form of coal but they work fine the way I use them to keep a range cooker ticking over.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

mgn wrote: »

The smokeless coal has to have 6% or less sulphur output,the smoky ovoids I buy have 7%.
    Not a big difference and I'm sure the makers would simply need a tweak in the processing and coal content to bring down the 7% to 6 or less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Irishs12

Has anyone bought the so called Anthracite from Kosy King recently,its about half and half pet coke,and some kind of steam coal.

Not anthracite at all,I think they are trying to cash in before Brexit and are taking the mick.

I split a ton with a friend of mine,but we won't order from them again,even at 20 euro a bag,the cpl anthracite from the local supplier works out cheaper in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭mickuhaha

Irishs12 wrote: »
    Has anyone bought the so called Anthracite from Kosy King recently,its about half and half pet coke,and some kind of steam coal.

Not anthracite at all,I think they are trying to cash in before Brexit and are taking the mick.

I split a ton with a friend of mine,but we won't order from them again,even at 20 euro a bag,the cpl anthracite from the local supplier works out cheaper in the long run.
    Could you post a couple of pictures of the coal you got?

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭2forjoy

The smokeless coal has to have 6% or less sulphur output,the smoky ovoids I buy have 7%.
    Not a big difference and I'm sure the makers would simply need a tweak in the processing and coal content to bring down the 7% to 6 or less.

is it not 0.7% for smokeless coal and over that is ok for smoky ovoids ?

The ban is not coming in , but I think towns in excess of 10,000 population should be smokless

• Registered Users Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

2forjoy wrote: »

The ban is not coming in , but I think towns in excess of 10,000 population should be smokless

Really?

How did you arrive at this conclusion and what do you think it will achieve if implemented?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Really?

How did you arrive at this conclusion and what do you think it will achieve if implemented?

I agree with 2forjoy.
    I'm out in the sticks with no neighbors.. whatever comes out of my chimney isn't going to directly affect anyone, it will have well disapated.

In built up area's.. yes smoky coal shouldn't be used. But if you are out in the back of beyond, a handful of homes burning Smokey coal isn't an issue.

I am currently awaiting my lastest order of 2ton of Smokey coal.
    And once that arrives and I have it all stored, I'll see if I have space for a 3rd ton.

Bit of a kick in the wotsits for the smokeless coal manufacturing plants in Ireland
    Irish times :-
    The delay has also caused concern in sections of the fuel industry. Sources said it had the potential to endanger jobs at plants such as the smokeless fuel factory at Foynes, where CPL Fuels has invested €22 million in recent years. Tim Minett, the chief executive of the firm, has previously said the plant was running at a quarter of its capacity, and that the firm had shelved plans for a second phase due to delays to the ban.

Andy Maher, who has invested €3 million in a new smokeless fuel plant at Stafford Fuels in New Ross, said he was “very disappointed” with the decision. “We made an investment on an expectation that there would be three times the amount of smokeless fuel sold.”

mikeecho wrote: »
    I agree with 2forjoy.
    I'm out in the sticks with no neighbors.. whatever comes out of my chimney isn't going to directly affect anyone, it will have well disapated.

In built up area's.. yes smoky coal shouldn't be used. But if you are out in the back of beyond, a handful of homes burning Smokey coal isn't an issue.

I am currently awaiting my lastest order of 2ton of Smokey coal.
    And once that arrives and I have it all stored, I'll see if I have space for a 3rd ton.

I'm interested in how the figure of 10,000 was arrived at and why that is the turning point.

Does every town of 10,000+ population have the same amount of people who use coal fires?

What about a town like Cobh that is on the coast, why should people there not be allowed burn smoky coal.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

I'm interested in how the figure of 10,000 was arrived at and why that is the turning point.

Does every town of 10,000+ population have the same amount of people who use coal fires?

What about a town like Cobh that is on the coast, why should people there not be allowed burn smoky coal.

I assume 10,000 was mentioned as a reference to a medium sized town.

The law of averages etc etc.. 10,000 was used as an example.. that's my reading of the post.

If Smokey coal was only to be banned in certain areas..what do you Rows Grower think the population cut off should be ., And don't say zero

Bit of a kick in the wotsits for the smokeless coal manufacturing plants in Ireland
    Irish times :-
    The delay has also caused concern in sections of the fuel industry. Sources said it had the potential to endanger jobs at plants such as the smokeless fuel factory at Foynes, where CPL Fuels has invested €22 million in recent years. Tim Minett, the chief executive of the firm, has previously said the plant was running at a quarter of its capacity, and that the firm had shelved plans for a second phase due to delays to the ban.

Andy Maher, who has invested €3 million in a new smokeless fuel plant at Stafford Fuels in New Ross, said he was “very disappointed” with the decision. “We made an investment on an expectation that there would be three times the amount of smokeless fuel sold.”

I won't be pulling out my violin for poor Tim and Andy and their little sob stories.

The law of averages etc etc.. 10,000 was used as an example.. that's my reading of the post

You need to read that post again old chap.

• Advertisement

[/B]

You need to read that post again old chap.

Enlighten me

I think someone got out of bed the wrong side today

I think someone got out of bed the wrong side today

We'll.. it's not me.. cos I've yet to get to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Dec4

I won't be pulling out my violin for poor Tim and Andy and their little sob stories.
    If either made a decent quality smokeless product they wouldn't have any worry about sales. The heat out of both Staffords and Supertherm ovoids is very poor, lots of filling in both...

We'll.. it's not me.. cos I've yet to get to bed.

Not you no

Dec4 wrote: »
    If either made a decent quality smokeless product they wouldn't have any worry about sales. The heat out of both Staffords and Supertherm ovoids is very poor, lots of filling in both...

Supertherm ovoids are very good if used correctly, i use them with a few blocks and rekord briquettes and heat my house for feck all for the week, 40kg back lasts me 3 weeks minimum and the stove is red hot

Supertherm ovoids are very good if used correctly, i use them with a few blocks and rekord briquettes and heat my house for feck all for the week, 40kg back lasts me 3 weeks minimum and the stove is red hot

That must be either some super dooper stove or a very small house you have, 2kg a day of ovoids and a few blocks and briquettes?

Someone’s having a cranky day today :D

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭2forjoy

The law of averages etc etc.. 10,000 was used as an example.. that's my reading of the post.

If Smokey coal was only to be banned in certain areas..what do you Rows Grower think the population cut off should be ., And don't say zero

I read this online.

"The smoky coal ban was progressively extended (see Table below) from 1990 to 2013 and now covers all urban areas with a population greater than 15,000.''

So I believe the ban needs to be gradual so bringing the population down from 15 to 10 would capture a few more towns .

• Advertisement

I read this online.

"The smoky coal ban was progressively extended (see Table below) from 1990 to 2013 and now covers all urban areas with a population greater than 15,000.''

So I believe the ban needs to be gradual so bringing the population down from 15 to 10 would capture a few more towns .

Cheers for that insight Captain Obvious.

Advertisement