Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

Eoghan55 wrote: »
    Hi

Just wondering if you ever tried the kosy king anthracite in the end. Was thinking of buying a tonne for my stove

Got some last year, great heat but it goes out easy. Lots of unburned coal the next morning.
    Bought maxibrite this year, far better, great heat, doesn't go out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

lenscap wrote: »
    I ordered their Maxibrite ovoids which are 89% anthracite ( Ecobrite is 96%).
    It gives off great heat, last a long time and leaves little ash. I burn it in a backboiler stove and the inside of the stove need very little cleaning compared to other ovoids I have used.
    I am very happy with my purchase.

Maybe times have changed but I thought anthracite would burn the ar*e out of a cast iron stove.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭BLUEYK

Have used the Coal Warehouse ovoids since this forum started, cannot fault them, use them in a 24kw back boiler stove, keeps my house warm for the winter. Change the grate every two years in the stove.

For anyone interested in latest process, I ordered another ton this week. Rang CW, knocked a tenner off so e290 for the ton. Asked who my delivery is with. I used Joe McGovern, E73.80 for the delivery to the south east. Just email Joe McG, all done on email, they send you an invoice and you arrange a bank transfer.

Equates to about e14.50 a 40kg bag. Similar quality product locally would be min e20 a 40kg bag. Tip, CW do them in 25kg bags too so suggest you request these otherwise you will be in Iron Man training lugging the 40kg bags to your shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭jimbobmalones

Looking for advice/opinions before I buy this year. I've read forum etc but a quick straw pole if you will...

I'm currently burning supertherm - got a tonne last year locally for €435 delivered. I could go that route again (think its 450 this year) but I'm thinking of either

Coalwarehouse ovoids
    Kosiking maxibrite.

Which would ye recommend?

J

• Registered Users Posts: 9,326 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Supertherm

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Bought 40kg maxibrite for €24 today in a circle k, hadnt time to shop around. Any better deals near D7 that I should know of. Not in position to buy a tonne. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭roshje

Anyone in the Mallow /Duhallow area know where I can buy Bord na Mona anthracite nuts or something as good? Local dealer doesn't stock it anymore. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭chickenlittle

roshje wrote: »
    Anyone in the Mallow /Duhallow area know where I can buy Bord na Mona anthracite nuts or something as good? Local dealer doesn't stock it anymore. Thanks

The Topline hardware stores should have them, Burtons in Kanturk worth a phone call.

Are they good in stoves?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭roshje

The Topline hardware stores should have them, Burtons in Kanturk worth a phone call.

Are they good in stoves?

I find them good, last most of the evening in my inset which has a back boiler. Slow to get them started tho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Maybe times have changed but I thought anthracite would burn the ar*e out of a cast iron stove.

My boiler stove ain't cast iron, just the grates. I've replaced a one grate bar in four years, 20 quid. Was like a banana when I finally replaced it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Can source coal locally delivered for 350 a tonne, he says it's "Columbian coal, great heat, low ash". Labelled as Golden Glow, don't suppose anyone here has used such a brand and if you have, what were your thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

Can source coal locally delivered for 350 a tonne, he says it's "Columbian coal, great heat, low ash". Labelled as Golden Glow, don't suppose anyone here has used such a brand and if you have, what were your thoughts?

Best to buy 1 bag and see what's it's like, imo you will find it hard to beat the CW Ovids

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

high_king wrote: »
    Ye lot should hand your heads in shame - environment rapists, hopefully your kids have been taught to report your true identities.

We're just preparing ourselves for the fires of hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Ye lot should hand your heads in shame - environment rapists, hopefully your kids have been taught to report your true identities.

Roasting fire on all week, everytime RTE kept pushing their climate change agenda, i put an extra shovel of coal in the stove.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Tell that to Xi Jinping and Donald Trump and when they listen then maybe I will.
    Until then I'll do what I have to to keep my family warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭lenscap

Golden Glow is McLaughlins Fuels, in Duncranna, Co Donegal AFAIK.
    http://mclaughlinscoal.ie/mclaughlinsfuels/
    Remember Google is your friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭lenscap

Looking for advice/opinions before I buy this year. I've read forum etc but a quick straw pole if you will...

I'm currently burning supertherm - got a tonne last year locally for €435 delivered. I could go that route again (think its 450 this year) but I'm thinking of either

Coalwarehouse ovoids
    Kosiking maxibrite.

Which would ye recommend?

J

My recommendation (depending on price) is the following:
    • Ecobrite - 96% anthracite, 4% binder
    • Maxibrite - 84% anthracite, 12% petro coke, 4% binder.
    • Supertherm - 40 to 65% anthracite,20 to 40% petro coke, 5 to 20% bituminous coal, the rest binder.
    • Generic ovoids - 40 to 70% anthracite, 20 to 45% petro coke, 5 to 30% bituminous coal.

Where did I get all this info???
    Look here:

https://smokecontrol.defra.gov.uk/fuels.php?country=all

Last year I got a great price on Ecobrite locally, €425 a ton delivered and he even stacked it for me. (this was a coal delivery not a pallet)

This year I went with Maxibrite as I couldn't get the good price on Ecobrite.

Sometimes my local Home Plus have an Ecobrite offer (a cash& carry) buy 10 get 11th free, like your coffee loyalty card.

It's up to yourself how much research you want to do about product and price because not all coal is the same as I found out the hard way.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,048 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

68747470733a2f2f696d61676573322e696d67626f782e636f6d2f34382f61632f324836777935674f5f6f2e706e67

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Cape Clear wrote: »
    We're just preparing ourselves for the fires of hell.

Not too bothered about hell anymore, if i live for another few years, the Devil will have being made redundant and hell will be full of solar panels and underfloor heating. So no big fire to worry about anymore.

Great info - love your research skills
    Now to look for stockist of ecobrite/maxibrite locally

Cheers

J

lenscap wrote: »
    My recommendation (depending on price) is the following:
    • Ecobrite - 96% anthracite, 4% binder
    • Maxibrite - 84% anthracite, 12% petro coke, 4% binder.
    • Supertherm - 40 to 65% anthracite,20 to 40% petro coke, 5 to 20% bituminous coal, the rest binder.
    • Generic ovoids - 40 to 70% anthracite, 20 to 45% petro coke, 5 to 30% bituminous coal.

Where did I get all this info???
    Look here:

Last year I got a great price on Ecobrite locally, €425 a ton delivered and he even stacked it for me. (this was a coal delivery not a pallet)

This year I went with Maxibrite as I couldn't get the good price on Ecobrite.

Sometimes my local Home Plus have an Ecobrite offer (a cash& carry) buy 10 get 11th free, like your coffee loyalty card.

It's up to yourself how much research you want to do about product and price because not all coal is the same as I found out the hard way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,048 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

My power sources are solar and wind

You must eat a lot of beans

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭enricoh

Got colombian coal before, its the business.
    Got a ton of black diamond polish from coal warehouse a couple of years ago n it was rubbish,grate full of crap every morning. bad enough buying a bag but a bloody ton of it!

Colombian might be too hot for a stove? I dunno

And using staffords economy household coal now, sounds cheap but a 50/50 mix of ovoids n coal, e15 a bag, great stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

My power sources are solar and wind

All wum from what I can see

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Great info - love your research skills
    Now to look for stockist of ecobrite/maxibrite locally

Cheers

J

save yourself about 150 per tonne and buy the ovoids from coalwarehouse.
    I had those ecobright lots of times and theyre not as good in my opinion. But they would come in at 2nd place in terms of quality.

razorronan wrote: »
    Ordered a tonne a stove ovoids from Easyglow just before 4pm yesterday online. Arrived this morning at 09:00am. Very efficient service. I'll be interested to see what the quality is like.

What's the quality like? How much per tonne delivered?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

enricoh wrote: »
    Got colombian coal before, its the business.
    Got a ton of black diamond polish from coal warehouse a couple of years ago n it was rubbish,grate full of crap every morning. bad enough buying a bag but a bloody ton of it!

Colombian might be too hot for a stove? I dunno

And using staffords economy household coal now, sounds cheap but a 50/50 mix of ovoids n coal, e15 a bag, great stuff

If you use Columbia Coal in a stove you will be buying a grate for it within a week if you can find a place that stocks them

• Registered Users Posts: 9,326 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

If you use Columbia Coal in a stove you will be buying a grate for it within a week if you can find a place that stocks them

correct

Colombian is far too intense for a stove, i tried it when we first got ours and we had windows opened in january it was mental, and the grate warped in no time at all.
    slow burning steady heat is what is needed and ovoids are the job for that in my opinion

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

Getting ovoids delivered in Dunboyne for 18 euro per 40kg bag. Ken Ward of Dunshaughlin.

will report back on quality if anyone is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭razorronan

What's the quality like? How much per tonne delivered?

It was €324 for the ovoids and €48 for delivery so €372 in total. There's great heat off them, no clinkers left the following morning. Only criticism is they burn away fairly fast. I would def consider again next time, but wouldn't mind trying coal warehouses version to compare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

razorronan wrote: »
    It was €324 for the ovoids and €48 for delivery so €372 in total. There's great heat off them, no clinkers left the following morning. Only criticism is they burn away fairly fast. I would def consider again next time, but wouldn't mind trying coal warehouses version to compare.

Have a couple of bags of cw ovoids left over from last year and bought a tonne of movies from easyglow but haven't lit a fire yet. That's great they are burning well.

Advertisement