Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - to a Boards.ie Community Manager

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Do you post on any other forums? Do you like any functions that other sites have that you could "borrow" to make boards better?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭darraghdoyle

DeVore wrote: »
    Why cant we have nice things?

B______ Y__ T____ Y_______ A_ N_____

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Why has this thread been allowed to remain on the site? I thought that Boards wanted to be better than the rest of the internet.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055626095

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Hey Dav.

What do you think Boards.ie contributes to society? Is it the new local shop/pub?

*reason for the question is that every major news story over the last few years I've clicked on boards.ie to see what the developments were*

Thanks Dav:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Do you miss the poster Biggins?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Do you still play Quake?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

What do you actually do all day?

Do yourself and Niamh just sit at computers all day willing a bug to pop up and give ye something to do?

Also, do you still see yourself working for Boards in say, 5 or 10 years time?

Does it ever get boring?
    Yes... we just sit here waiting... :p

We have about 300 emails a week, Feedback, Admins, Mods, Site Dev, Help Desk, Prison forums to keep an eye on, Talk To forums to moderate, project meetings, sales meetings, client training, mod training, new user training,
    Senna wrote: »
    Is there any annomus user that is famous or maybe infamous for something?
    Do you know the usernames of any politicians? I know some do post here.
    I'm not really sure what you mean in that first part? Are there any famous Boards members? I know that at one stage Conor McGregor had an account as did WWE's Seamus.

I'm sure there are plenty more people of note, but I don't go looking for them - everyone's entitled to and should have their privacy respected. I don't even know the usernames of the people who work in this building.
    sammyjo90 wrote: »
    Is it Dave without an "e" or pronounced like have?
    It's Dav (as in have) which is short for Davitt. Michael Davitt is an ancestor of mine which is where the name comes from. It is a pain in the arse having a surname that everyone mispronounces or misspells :)
    See Mr Doyle's post below.
    mfceiling wrote: »
    Do you post on any other forums? Do you like any functions that other sites have that you could "borrow" to make boards better?
    I post on a few other forums around the tubes, usually speciality subjects for things that aren't already covered on Boards (almost all gaming support forums now that I think on it).

I use Twitter a lot and I recently rejoined Facebook after an almost 5 year absence. Man was that a confusing interface to get used to. I was properly baffled by what I was being shown on the screen. I also read quite a bit of Reddit which is probably the closest platform to what we offer - topic based communities. Their options for customising sub-reddits is something I definitely want to steal pay homage to.
    That's exactly what I immediately said when I saw the question too.
    Orim wrote: »
    Why has this thread been allowed to remain on the site? I thought that Boards wanted to be better than the rest of the internet.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055626095
    I just had to explain that thread to Seán this morning :D
    Hey Dav.

What do you think Boards.ie contributes to society? Is it the new local shop/pub?

*reason for the question is that every major news story over the last few years I've clicked on boards.ie to see what the developments were*

Thanks Dav:)
    It's whatever metaphor you'd like to describe a place where people gather to talk - pub, water fountain, back of the church at mass, etc :) That's exactly what we want it to be too - we just want it to be bigger and to allow you to not only talk about the day's events with people in general, but to find out what's on in your locality or what issues are affecting your neighbours so that you might, as a group, get together and get them sorted. 200 individual people sending an email to a county council, for example, can easily be ignored when none of them know the others are mailing in too, but you let those 200 people get organised and make an exponentially bigger noise and request of their council, then they're a lot more likely to get results.
    Macavity. wrote: »
    Do you miss the poster Biggins?
    I never knew the guy.
    endacl wrote: »
    Do you still play Quake?
    Very rarely, the days of competitive 1v1 FPS games seems to have passed unfortunately. The only 1 v 1 competitive games these days are Fighting games of course (Street Fighter, Marvel vs Capcom, Smash Bros, etc), Hearthstone and Starcraft 2. LoL and DotA are the biggest e-Sports games at the moment by a long way. CoD has some tournaments too, but that's only consoles, so I'd have about as much interest in that as watching paint dry. CS:GO has had quite a few scandals this last couple of weeks, I hope it won't affect its numbers, they're regularly getting near to the 500k viewers for the bigger events now which is great.

When I come home from work, I have no TV in my flat, just my PC, so I stick Twitch on and watch whatever StarCraft 2 is on (I'm really bad that the game, but it's my favourite one to watch).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Dav wrote: »
    That's exactly what I immediately said when I saw the question too.

Care to fill in the blanks for those of us not in the know?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Care to fill in the blanks for those of us not in the know?

No. Because you touch yourself at night

Because you touch yourself at night. A bit of an office in-joke to be fair from when Darragh, Ross & Conor were here and Tom was filling in the role of "Boss.". It was the most frequent answer to *any* question asked. No, it's not big or clever or even appropriate for an office, but there you have it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Because you touch yourself at night. A bit of an office in-joke to be fair from when Darragh, Ross & Conor were here and Tom was filling in the role of "Boss.". It was the most frequent answer to *any* question asked. No, it's not big or clever or even appropriate for an office, but there you have it :)

Ah...
    We have a similarly inappropriate bunch of phrases (and objects, up to and including a whacking stick) in the office i work in too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

What's the work PC setup you use?
    Can/do/should you work remotely, or is it easy to be on boards out of working hours as a consumer as against an employee?
    Any chance of some photos of the boards office?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

The other one is Niamh. She was promoted to the title of Community Manager recently and I'm delighted because she's been a part of the team since Boards Deals and she's a whole lot better at a whole lot of the more business admin side of things than I am. Niamh also has a different outlook (I would say far more positive!) on life to me, so we each approach a problem from a very different point of view which often means 2 very different potential solutions to any given issue.

What happened to Nicola?

It took me long enough to cop on :o

Ah...
    We have a similarly inappropriate bunch of phrases (and objects, up to and including a whacking stick) in the office i work in too.
    We have several weapons or weapon like items. I play softball and often have my bat at the desk too for good measure.
    dulpit wrote: »
    What's the work PC setup you use?
    Can/do/should you work remotely, or is it easy to be on boards out of working hours as a consumer as against an employee?
    Any chance of some photos of the boards office?
    The PC I use is a basic Dell Optiplex, try and all as I might, I cannot convince the company to spend €1000 on high end components. If only they realised I'd probably never leave if there was a gaming PC at my desk (I'd also never get any work done of course!).

Couple of photos for you all, first of all, a shot of all of our desks (except Matt and Chris who life with the Sales and Sys Admins respectively on the third floor).

Office.jpg

Second is my POV from my desk :) Shout out to SW for my first Christmas card of the year too (yes, the card with The Devil on it :p). You can also see Chris had made a visit, that's his head sticking out over the top of my left monitor. The art stuck to the side of my PC comes from my good friend and starving artist, Mr Killian Dunne.

Desk.jpg

[EDIT]
    Some how, the images weren't showing up for everyone else, sorry about that.
    Nim wrote: »
    What happened to Nicola?

It took me long enough to cop on :o
    Nicola left us over a year ago. She has recently started as Community Manager with Zomato who have just opened in Ireland.

Right, I'm calling it a day there, I've got someone lined up for a new AMA after lunch.

Thank you everyone for your questions, I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement