Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alarm/CCTV Installation options?

Options
  • 03-12-2014 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I've read through a good few threads here and got the gist of whats on offer. I was thinking of installing the HKC Quantam panel, with 4 PIR sensors and 2 door sensors. I was thinking to go with an 8 channel DVR so that extra camera's could be added at a future date. From ringing around a few suppliers I've been met with varied responses. IDAS said they'd only deal with wholesalers, no private customers, and others said that only PSA liscensed installers can install them. A few places did say they would sell me all the equipment. What worries me now though is if I install it myself, and something were to go wrong down the line, could it effect the insurance etc?

I got a quote of nearly €3000 to install the HKC panel, 4-channell DVR and 4 camera's(SmartWatch), but what I'm thinking to do now is to get a registered lad to put in the alarm itself and I'll buy and install the camera's/DVR unit. Is this the smarter way to go, or would people on here not worry too much about taking on the whole job themselves?

The price quoted for alarm only by the way was €900, and I could buy the camera's and DVR for about €600 myself and have a decent system all in.

IP seems to be coming out ahead of analog, is this the case in reality?

I would appreciate any opinions or advise on the matter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

degaquethe wrote: »
    I've read through a good few threads here and got the gist of whats on offer. I was thinking of installing the HKC Quantam panel, with 4 PIR sensors and 2 door sensors. I was thinking to go with an 8 channel DVR so that extra camera's could be added at a future date. From ringing around a few suppliers I've been met with varied responses. IDAS said they'd only deal with wholesalers, no private customers, and others said that only PSA liscensed installers can install them. A few places did say they would sell me all the equipment. What worries me now though is if I install it myself, and something were to go wrong down the line, could it effect the insurance etc?

I got a quote of nearly €3000 to install the HKC panel, 4-channell DVR and 4 camera's(SmartWatch), but what I'm thinking to do now is to get a registered lad to put in the alarm itself and I'll buy and install the camera's/DVR unit. Is this the smarter way to go, or would people on here not worry too much about taking on the whole job themselves?

The price quoted for alarm only by the way was €900, and I could buy the camera's and DVR for about €600 myself and have a decent system all in.

IP seems to be coming out ahead of analog, is this the case in reality?

I would appreciate any opinions or advise on the matter.

I would shop around with regards the alarm as that is expensive for what you are getting.
    IP is the way to go if money and budget suit for the cameras.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

stay away from wireless alarms

also buy ip cameras but make sure they are hd,, 640x480 are pretty useless

put them high up and hidden,

not much choice in alarms,you can buy them in electrical wholesalers,its hard to program,you need the program and a laptop,try buying from uk maybe ebay uk,panel comes already programed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

braddun wrote: »

not much choice in alarms,you can buy them in electrical wholesalers,its hard to program,you need the program and a laptop,try buying from uk maybe ebay uk,panel comes already programed

Wireless alarms are difficult to program? Could you tell me please? Also what manufacturer are you referring to?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

kub wrote: »
    Wireless alarms are difficult to program? Could you tell me please? Also what manufacturer are you referring to?

He has me lost as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

If you are buying DIY panels off ebay I can see why you are having trouble with them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

altor wrote: »
    If you are buying DIY panels off ebay I can see why you are having trouble with them.

I don't buy panels I used to install them

I mentioned ebay as Ireland has few brands

to buy the English ones you would buy on ebay

the English panels take little programing

you install them,connect them up your done

the irish one to program you need the software and a laptop

they will not sell the software unless licenced

so you program with the keypad,a two hour job

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

All of your comments above regarding needing a laptop to program an Irish one is incorrect.
    The software comes with the panel so wrong there again.
    Again incorrect about how long they take to program, personally speaking with a keypad no more than 5 minutes.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You really do not have a clue what you are talking about.
    There are options to programme some panels via a laptop etc. But it's not a necessity.
    I find it hard to believe you are a licenced installer with the limited knowledge you are displaying here.
    With the exception of some major industrial panels, I have never spent 2 hours programming any system.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 degaquethe

I've contacted a few more down my way here (I'm in Mayo if anyone knows anyone decent PM Me please). On top of installing the PIR sensors and panel I've got a quote to install vibration sensors that cover one full window each, as we have older style teak windows that have 3-6 small windows at the side of each until. He assures me these vibration sensors will pick it up if any window in the unit gets broken etc. The price for 4 PIRs, the vibration sensors on 7 window units and installing the panel is €900. I thought this to be a fair enough price.

However he only offers monitored alarm systems where he provides the sim for the GSM unit and offers 2 call outs a year all for the price of €34 per month. I didn't want a monitored system at all, just the capability for it to ring or text over the GSM system the recorded phone numbers in the system, ie. we monitor it ourselves. I am aware of the GSM blocking issue but would be willing to take that chance seeing as Eircom are stopping the fixed line messaging service soon.

Go for perimeter first and back that up with a couple of PiRs , not the other way round.
    Don't go with that monitoring, its not needed. Sounds like he may be getting some kickback from the GSM. Go with PSTN monitoring or use a proper dedicated GSM package where all calls & data are covered. Either way €34 a month sounds expensive. Shop around would be my advice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement