Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to dot ie

Options
  • 03-12-2014 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭

Hey all.

I've been working on my seo of late and want to move to dot ie.

I own the domain and all. Can I move without effecting seo? Like move and redirect dediret fro old domain?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Short answer - yes
    Longer answer - you'd need to setup 301 redirects etc., to make sure the transition was seamless

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭candytog

Does it help your local seo?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

candytog wrote: »

Some would argue that it does ..
    Or it can ..

• Registered Users Posts: 19 jackluter

choose depending on your user with correct reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 pingpipe

candytog wrote: »

If the website is hosted on an IP in Ireland and has a .ie domain it will usually rank higher in the results for people searching from Google.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 gheghici

Yes, it helps with local SEO. First of all, you don't need to geo-target the domain in webmaster tools. By default, being a .ie, will be geo-targeted for Ireland.

I suppose you will keep the same structure of the urls - instead of domain.com/page.php you'll have domain.ie/page.php
    To keep the rankings, it's important to use the 301 redirect (mentioned before) properly - I would recommend you to use a tool for sitemap creation, get all the urls into an excel file, change the .com to .ie, and use htaccess redirect (take a look here to get an idea: http: //www. htaccessredirect. net/). Google will help you with lots of articles about that.
    Another solution would be to look into Analytics, and see which are your landing pages. And do the redirect only for those pages.

That if you have a lot of pages. If you're website has just a few pages - 10-30, then you can just do the redirect manually (by manually I mean use a notepad, take all the urls, change the extension - you got the picture).

Once the website is moved, and the redirects are working, go in webmaster tools and tell Google that you've changed your domain (more details here: https: // support.google. com/webmasters/answer/83106?hl=en )

Then just wait for Google to crawl your new domain. You'll probably going to have a drop in rankings in the first two weeks after the first crawl, but you'll get back on top after that.

Good luck!

p.s.- sorry for the messy links, I don't have the privilege to add links or images here

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭M.T.D

If you are keeping the same site structure. i.e. all the old pages exist on the new site and the url is the same except for the domain part.
    Then put this in the .htaccess file on the old domain

RewriteEngine on
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://newdomain.ie/$1 [R=301,L]

Then olddomain.com/x/y/z will redirect to newdomain.ie/x/y/z

Always check it is working properly.

You will get a drop in rankings but usually only for a few weeks

Google will then index the new site and gradually forget the old one.
    Ideally you need to keep the old domain hosted with the .htaccess file for as long as links exist to the old site

Advertisement