Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monument of an ATM in local shop

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Straylight

Yawns wrote: »
    If you're paying by debit card, the shops can't actually make you pay a minimum charge. They'll tell you it's store policy, but the agreement they have with Visa for the card machine actually stipulates no minimum spend required. Contact Visa with the store name and address with your complaint and they'll be in touch with them.

Yep, this is an extract from Pricewatch in the Irish Times of 4/11/13 (no point linking to it as you need a subscription to see it):
    The Irish Payment Services Organisation, which oversees all card payments, has a view on this. It says that, when a merchant signs up to accept card payments, its terms and conditions include an “honour-all-cards rule”.

Under this condition, they are required to accept the cards for any payment by holders of the cards they have signed up for.

“In choosing to enforce a minimum charge, the retailer is operating outside of their terms and conditions.

“They can lose their terminal and card payment contract for doing this,” a spokeswoman for the organisation said.

“Any reports of such signs or restrictions in shops that are reported to this office are taken very seriously, and a relationship manager is dispatched to discuss the matter with the shop.”

Might be worth pointing that out to the shop next time they try to make you spend a tenner OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

h2005 wrote: »
    You'd be wrong. The shops themselves fill the ATMs.

Spar in Kenilworth have their machine filled by brinks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

There's a Spar near me and i'm not making this up...i've seen their machine (aib free standing) and it has been working twice in the last 6 years!!

Serious - i always walk past it and look at it when i'm in there and it's always the same "out of service" on it - morning, noon, or night. I even said it to the shop manager one day. His reply "it's more for decoration now" and then laughed like an eejit!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

mfceiling wrote: »
    There's a Spar near me and i'm not making this up...i've seen their machine (aib free standing) and it has been working twice in the last 6 years!!

Serious - i always walk past it and look at it when i'm in there and it's always the same "out of service" on it - morning, noon, or night. I even said it to the shop manager one day. His reply "it's more for decoration now" and then laughed like an eejit!!

But can people see where I'm coming from with this? If you advertise that you have a service in your store then fulfill your obligation to your customers and have that service up and running efficiently.
    Banks have closed in the more rural towns in Ireland and the local machine not working is the decider for me on whether I go into the local butcher/ grocer/ hardware store etc to spend my money or curse the bejaysus out of the machine and wait until I go to the county town the next day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

And then the store can exercise their right not to serve you, or maybe the machine is out of order...

If you complain to the likes of Visa, they actually take care of it, your name doesn't get passed on to them.

Tbh any shop hat enforces a minimum spend policy doesn't deserve it's customers. If I'm told a minimum spend is €10, then I'm likely to leave it all there and just walk out never to go back. Have done this before, wouldn't hesitate to do so again. Had items for kids lunch the next day and some other items, grand total of €8.20 but told nope. Just picked it up in Lidl later that day and no longer bother with that Super Value again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement