Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blood pressure vs cholesterol

Options
  • 03-12-2014 10:28pm

I went to the doctor a few months ago and they checked my blood pressure. It was quite high, and despite me saying that I have anxiety problems (white coat syndrome) and to leave me alone while I do another check on the machine, they insisted they should do a blood check. So they took a sample and I went back today only for them to tell me that my bloodwork was clear and my cholesterol is perfect...but they want me to check my blood pressure once a week at home
    What I'm wondering is; isn't it cholesterol that causes high blood pressure? :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Remember, no medical advice can be given here. If you are concerned about test results, speak to your GP

Cholesterol isn't the cause of blood pressure but a build up of cholesterol can coat blood vessel walls. Both high blood pressure and cholesterol are risk factors in heart dissease and can each be a cause for concern.
    Your blood vessels have muscles in their walls that can squeeze the vessles to increase pressure. These are regulated by various hormones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Shirley R

I'm not sure to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Shirley R wrote: »
    I'm not sure to be honest

You registered on boards for that reply??

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭hairybelly

Simply put OP: No, high blood pressure can be caused by many things.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Banaba

There are many determinants of high BP, stress diet lack of exercise cholesterol age gender family history etc so you should look into all to reduce BP

• Advertisement
Advertisement