Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carvery lunch

Options
  • 03-12-2014 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭

Will be passing through Dublin at lunch time tomorrow, can anybody recommend a nice place that does a carvery lunch (or decent lunch) in the city centre. Was thinking of the Ashling hotel as I'll be travelling into Heuston.

Any opinions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Nancy Hand's, Parkgate Street

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Aisling Hotel does a really nice one, but can get packed at 1pm. The one in Hueston station itself is actually all right. Their meatballs in pepper sauce are lovely

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

O'Neill's of Suffolk Street does a great one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Was going to suggest o neills. Galway hooker in Heuston is terrible. Heard good things about the aisling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Thanks for the suggestions. Went to the Ashling and it was very nice, my first turkey and ham meal of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Where is the Carvery served in the Ashling.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Go in the door, go to your left. I think it's the dining hall where they serve guests.

The bar is on the right but they don't serve carvery, they have a kinda pub bites menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,968 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Slydice wrote: »
    Go in the door, go to your left. I think it's the dining hall where they serve guests.

The bar is on the right but they don't serve carvery, they have a kinda pub bites menu.

Is the carvery served every day of the week (Thinking Sunday here!) thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

BeerNut wrote: »
    O'Neill's of Suffolk Street does a great one.

But by the time the OP had gotten to Heuston station they'd have been starving again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Is the carvery served every day of the week (Thinking Sunday here!) thanks.

Says Daily here: http://www.ashlinghotel.ie/restaurant-and-bar/chesterfields-restaurant

I'd guess that means everyday.

• Advertisement

Slydice wrote: »
    Says Daily here: http://www.ashlinghotel.ie/restaurant-and-bar/chesterfields-restaurant

I'd guess that means everyday.

Thanks, I think.... wasn't able to connect to the website when I posted :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Thanks, I think.... wasn't able to connect to the website when I posted :cool:

Nearly always on a Sunday with the occasional exception, but I've never seen it on a Saturday. Will be food in the bar though if it's not on.
    Food isn't bad. About 2 roasts, fish dish, poultry and either a pasta or rice base dish.

Maldesu wrote: »
    Nearly always on a Sunday with the occasional exception, but I've never seen it on a Saturday. Will be food in the bar though if it's not on.
    Food isn't bad. About 2 roasts, fish dish, poultry and either a pasta or rice base dish.

Thanks for that. We often go to Ryans, but I'm getting a bit fed up of eating at the bar or on a high table, or the little drinks counters, me elbows are in me face... hate that really!

Grub is good there though, and the service is great, but unless we get either of the snugs now, it's off the menu!

Have been to the Ashling now and then for drinks but never for grub. So will try the carvery there thanks.

Nancy Hands is OK. Food is good, but there is something about the place that I don't get. Just me probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Maldesu wrote: »

Are the prices reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Are the prices reasonable.

Around €11.50 according to my dad who is the more frequent visitor to it than me, but I do recall that each item does have it's own price, so in and around that. I do think you get tea and coffee with it, but we're never taken it, so can't be positive.

Though it hasn't been asked, portion sizes are fairly decent, but veg can often lean towards al dente. Also forgot to mention that there is a salad/cold dishes counter too. I've seen sizeable fish cakes in there which would easily fill you.

Advertisement