Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cholesterol Lowering Supplements

Options
  • 03-12-2014 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Par1

Hi All

Has anyone got any idea what supplement is best in the Benecol, Danecol, Flora Proactive Aldi version..etc. There is lots available that claim to lower cholesterol but price variation is astonishing. Are they different or all the same? Which is proven to be best does anyone know ?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,584 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Butter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

You will hear stuff about about high fat and high carb diets but what really matters is your total calorie intake. Get it to maintenance levels and get your bodyfat to a healthy level, this will do more than any supplement or diet. Quit smoking and reduce alcohol intake (if that applies). Although not fully understood, exercise is effective at reducing LDL, probably through the stimulation of specific enzymes that remove it from the blood to turn it into bile. There was also a study that found that exercise improves the quality of HDL in the blood so that people who exercised had better HDL than people who didn't exercise, even if they were lighter. So exercise and weight control.

After that fibre and omega 3 supplements would be best for favourable cholesterol characteristics.

Edit: If some one tells you a specific food or a list of specific foods are good, be weary.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Unfortunately it's like asking what the best plaster is for a knife wound..

The answer is not to get stabbed.

...but if you have - it needs a bigger intervention (training, good nutrition, changing habits)

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Par1

You will hear stuff about about high fat and high carb diets but what really matters is your total calorie intake. Get it to maintenance levels and get your bodyfat to a healthy level, this will do more than any supplement or diet. Quit smoking and reduce alcohol intake (if that applies). Although not fully understood, exercise is effective at reducing LDL, probably through the stimulation of specific enzymes that remove it from the blood to turn it into bile. There was also a study that found that exercise improves the quality of HDL in the blood so that people who exercised had better HDL than people who didn't exercise, even if they were lighter. So exercise and weight control.

After that fibre and omega 3 supplements would be best for favourable cholesterol characteristics.

Edit: If some one tells you a specific food or a list of specific foods are good, be weary.

Cheers for reply. I have read before that higher levels of omega 3 was linked to cancer particularly in men therefore i avoid that, im not up to date with report but the fact that omega 3 supplements are linked to that is enough to put me off. What about the yoghurt type drinks that apparently help lower cholesterol when taken after an evening meal?..are they all the same or is a particular brand better ?

Thanks

Hanley wrote: »
    Unfortunately it's like asking what the best plaster is for a knife wound..

The answer is not to get stabbed.

...but if you have - it needs a bigger intervention (training, good nutrition, changing habits)

I appreciate that but assuming the training, good nutrition and habits etc are good then as an additional benefit i am considering the yoghurt type drinks, people rant and rave about them and im just wondering if its true and do they actually help?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,624 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Weary is a given.

Being wary is also recommended ;)

Par1 wrote: »
    Cheers for reply. I have read before that higher levels of omega 3 was linked to cancer particularly in men therefore i avoid that, im not up to date with report but the fact that omega 3 supplements are linked to that is enough to put me off. What about the yoghurt type drinks that apparently help lower cholesterol when taken after an evening meal?..are they all the same or is a particular brand better ?

Thanks

That particular study you are talking about was retrospective/observational, the general consensus is that there is no link and that was a very poorly conducted study. When people get diagnosed with cancer they tend to try and become 'healthier', one easy way to do this is to increase omega 3 consumption. So people with cancer are far more likely to take supplementary omega 3, hence the correlation.

Your dinner will do far more to dictate your cholesterol levels than the yoghurt after it.

I notice you ignored all the advice on the things that really work such as diet and exercise. This is a very common occurrence on the health and fitness threads. Some one will ask for advice and keep looking, sifting through all the responses until they come to an answer the want to believe. This is a bad move, especially when your health is on the line. I'd advise you to heed the advice that works, not the advice that sounds easy.

Weary is a given.

Being wary is also recommended ;)

Thanks, I'll edit now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Par1 wrote: »
    I appreciate that but assuming the training, good nutrition and habits etc are good then as an additional benefit i am considering the yoghurt type drinks, people rant and rave about them and im just wondering if its true and do they actually help?.

In that scenario then, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

I've been tryin to get up to date information on things like mitigating atherosclerosis and how linked it is to high LDL levels and also the relationship between sat fat consumption and LDL levels as I've heard kelly starrett say he's not able to eat as much of it as some people.
    Does anyone have any pointers on where to look for up to date unbiased information.?

• Advertisement

That particular study you are talking about was retrospective/observational, the general consensus is that there is no link and that was a very poorly conducted study. When people get diagnosed with cancer they tend to try and become 'healthier', one easy way to do this is to increase omega 3 consumption. So people with cancer are far more likely to take supplementary omega 3, hence the correlation.

Your dinner will do far more to dictate your cholesterol levels than the yoghurt after it.

I notice you ignored all the advice on the things that really work such as diet and exercise. This is a very common occurrence on the health and fitness threads. Some one will ask for advice and keep looking, sifting through all the responses until they come to an answer the want to believe. This is a bad move, especially when your health is on the line. I'd advise you to heed the advice that works, not the advice that sounds easy.

Thank you for reply. I do not believe i was ignoring all the advice on the things that really work such as diet and exercise. If you look at my post 6 then you will see that i replied 'assuming the training, good nutrition and habits etc are good then as an additional benefit i am considering the yoghurt type drinks'

I believe you have misunderstood me when you made the comment that i was ignoring advice. I referred to the yoghurt type drinks again as that is what my OP was originally about and if i wished to take advice on other comments i.e exercise then i would (as my own choice). I am fully aware of other factors you mention which is why i did not ask about them and that is why i sifted through responses as you say.

Hanley wrote: »
    In that scenario then, no.

Cheers thank you for reply..i kind of expected that was the case

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Jumping into here with a query: I exercise A LOT, I don't smoke, or drink, though I eat copious amounts of butter and eggs, in a clean and varied diet (though at the moment, probably could eat more veg). My cholesterol is high, but no breakdown given. Doc says to cut down on butter and eggs but I disagree, and I think if I eat anything to excess, its probably carbs. Am I being silly? Are they right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Oryx wrote: »
    Jumping into here with a query: I exercise A LOT, I don't smoke, or drink, though I eat copious amounts of butter and eggs, in a clean and varied diet (though at the moment, probably could eat more veg). My cholesterol is high, but no breakdown given. Doc says to cut down on butter and eggs but I disagree, and I think if I eat anything to excess, its probably carbs. Am I being silly? Are they right?

From my reading, TC number tells you nothing and co relates poorly with cvd risk.

TC/HDL ratio HDL/Triglycerides ratio maybe better predictors.

Also Lpa, ldl particle number ApoB, maybe better predictors.

Given cvd is at heart a disease of inflammation, inflammation markers are also of interest.

Among the huge numbers of populations which contradict the saturated fat/cholesterol/cvd model(France, Switzerland, Ukraine,) are the Aborigines who despite having an average TC under 5 have the highest cvd rates in the world.

Given how important a molecule cholesterol is and it's almost universal presence in human cells I'dbe thinking long and hard about limiting it's intake and most certainly about a drug which inhibits its production along with qb10.

It's some important our bodies have evolved to produce most of what's needed. Yet this substance has a dirty name.

I thought the eggs thing was a myth, and the butter thing too.
    If it's high I would ask for the breakdown/get one done. I think if the good one is high you're grand

I'm gone mad for courgettes and aubergines the last few days, apparently aubergines are good for reducing the bad one??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭meijin

Oryx wrote: »
    My cholesterol is high, but no breakdown given.

It's meaningless number then. If you get the breakdown, enter here: http://www.hughcalc.org/chol.php (or SI one linked there)

And then even LDL breaks down to different subtypes (good and bad)...

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

meijin wrote: »
    It's meaningless number then. If you get the breakdown, enter here: http://www.hughcalc.org/chol.php (or SI one linked there)

And then even LDL breaks down to different subtypes (good and bad)...

Tbh thats what annoys me. I know its complex yet the doc is just saying it needs to be lower with no elaboration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

ford2600 wrote: »
    From my reading, TC number tells you nothing and co relates poorly with cvd risk.

TC/HDL ratio HDL/Triglycerides ratio maybe better predictors.

Also Lpa, ldl particle number ApoB, maybe better predictors.

Given cvd is at heart a disease of inflammation, inflammation markers are also of interest.

Among the huge numbers of populations which contradict the saturated fat/cholesterol/cvd model(France, Switzerland, Ukraine,) are the Aborigines who despite having an average TC under 5 have the highest cvd rates in the world.

Given how important a molecule cholesterol is and it's almost universal presence in human cells I'dbe thinking long and hard about limiting it's intake and most certainly about a drug which inhibits its production along with qb10.

It's some important our bodies have evolved to produce most of what's needed. Yet this substance has a dirty name.

This was exactly the sort of thing I was looking for. Is there anywhere that's not total academic mind melt where I can read up on this stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

This was exactly the sort of thing I was looking for. Is there anywhere that's not total academic mind melt where I can read up on this stuff?

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.ie/2011/01/does-dietary-saturated-fat-increase.html?m=1

Decent writer.

Smoking, depression, stress seem to be strongly associated with cvd.

Exercise helps in reducing risk.

A little alcohol, goid social network msy help according to some.

Eat decent food and don't worry to much about cholesterol

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Owenee

I have been taking sotalix Citrus Bergamot for the past 2 weeks as recommended by a friend who had great luck with it reducing her cholesterol. I feel I have more energy so far and am looking forward to see my blood test results that I am having done in 60 days. I like the fact that it is a high dose and one capsule is all you take once a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭GoogleBot

Cholesterol is not a bad guy but rather an indication of certain issues in the body. If you cure the problem cholesterol would go back to normal. Hence lowering cholesterol makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 AliceN

I don't have any advice to share, unfortunately, but I want to thank everyone for contribution. I've just found out that I need to lower cholesterol level, and to be honest, I don't want to take chemical meds. I guess it is better to try natural ways first.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

If not genetic high cholesterol level usually indication of some sort of inflammation. If you are able to find out what cause body inflammatory responses you can lower cholesterol without meds. From a nutritional point of view, high GI food cause inflammation long term, e.g. milk, bread, veg. Oils, sugar, processed foods, etc.

I got rid of my cholesterol from high to normal in three years.

How? No crisps or cheese during the week (sad) and I usually run 5k 2-3 times a week (glad) and I take the veggie option from the work canteen if it looks decent.

Those changes were easy and were gradual and tackled the source. Doesn't have to be hard. Cut out snacks after dinner during the week and do good cardio sessions twice a week then check your levels in 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Cill94

Exercise, reduce body fat, increase fiber intake, and lower intake of saturated fats. Best of luck.

https://www.barbellmedicine.com/blog/a-basic-guide-to-cholesterol-part-ii/

I've heard that saturated fats help build muscles, store and absorb vitamins?

They do. But they also have deleterious health effects when consumed in high levels. Moderation applies in all areas of nutrition.

The human body produces cholesterol daily by the liver and cholesterol, so important that even brain produces small bit as well. I would be very cautious eating those mushrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

generally we are talking about "pizza and ice cream" and eating in an inflammatory way

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

If you eat too much of it, yeah.

I've lost 12kg since June and have enjoyed ice cream and pizza throughout. 🍕

Advertisement