Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blade Runner 2049 **Spoilers from post 444**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭badabing106

That virtual reality girl was very fine.she was Like an equally hot younger sister of Aoibhinn Ni Shuilleabhain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

I saw the original in the cinema in 82 and was totally blown away. I had reservations about a follow up because I held the original in such high esteem. I shouldn't have worried. Truly amazing experience.
    Another cult classic for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭micks_address

I'm not sure why people are bothered if it's bombing at the box office. Unlikely was ever going to be a sequel. If it made tons of money they may have tried to cash in. I don't think its waterworld levels of box office disaster and I'm sure others have said it will have a long life on home video. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Studios shrug off a lot of these so-called flops these days. Box office isn't the big deal it used to be. Even Waterworld's flop reputation isn't deserved and it eventually turned a profit on video.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,891 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

mrcheez wrote: »
    I don't have a 4K TV (yet) so imagine this UHD version will have a normal 1080p output as well?

I will inevitably get a 4K eventually so would be nice to have something to play on it then, but obviously want to be able to play the 1080p version now.

Also I assume it has 3D or do you need to get a "3D" version?

Sorry just on this point again, do all versions of the BluRay have 3D, or do I need to get a BluRay specifically labelled 3D?

I have a 55" Samsung with quite possibly the best 3D I've ever seen outside of the IMAX so I pretty much only buy 3D BluRays now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I'm not sure why people are bothered if it's bombing at the box office. Unlikely was ever going to be a sequel. If it made tons of money they may have tried to cash in. I don't think its waterworld levels of box office disaster and I'm sure others have said it will have a long life on home video. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Actually there are plans for a sequel depending on how well the movie did. One of the producers mentioned it before the release .

Studios shrug off a lot of these so-called flops these days. Box office isn't the big deal it used to be. Even Waterworld's flop reputation isn't deserved and it eventually turned a profit on video.

I don't understand why it is bring called a "flop".

The box office has covered the budget plus $70 million - which is about half it's budget. Granted that is ta huge profit but no-one is out of pocket.

2049's editor Joe Walker said that the original cut of the film was 4 hours.

That leaves us with and hour and 20 minutes of deleted scenes that they'll hopefully included on the home releases.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

2049's editor Joe Walker said that the original cut of the film was 4 hours.

That leaves us with and hour and 20 minutes of deleted scenes that they'll hopefully included on the home releases.

Doubtful. I’d imagine most of that hour was dead air. Shot of Gosling looking solemn for 1.5 seconds instead of 1 second, and so on.

I don't understand why it is bring called a "flop".

The box office has covered the budget plus $70 million - which is about half it's budget. Granted that is ta huge profit but no-one is out of pocket.

As I said above, a film has to make twice its budget plus marketing costs to break even during its theatrical run, which increasingly films don’t. But it’s okay because provided it’s not a total disaster it can make that money back later.

• Advertisement

Doubtful. I’d imagine most of that hour was dead air. Shot of Gosling looking solemn for 1.5 seconds instead of 1 second, and so on.

I'd love another hour in that cyberpunk world.

Like the hyper extended versions of the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings, sure there was a lot of waffly bits, but the reward of getting to spend more time in the world far outweighs any perceived dullness.

At the moment I'm enjoying acting the part of being a replicant in the VR experience...lapping up the atmosphere :)

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

When I was watching it in awe with my jaw down by my ankles three different groups of people got up and left before half way through

If its bombing at the box office its because people dont like it ,

but as superhands said ;

"People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis. You can't trust people, Jeremy."

I wonder how this generation would react to a showing of 2001, that is equally long and has many slow moving scenes.

Perhaps people's attention spans or willingness to see a film through to its conclusion have faltered in the age of Twitter / YouTube, where you get bored of one topic quickly and switch every few minutes?

No, there is more to the "missing hour" than that.

There was the possibility at one stage of making the film a two-parter but when they got down to editing they just decided on tighter story.

The deleted footage is scenes and dialogue of substance but just unescessarily slowed the pace or were not vital to the story.

I'd love another hour in that cyberpunk world.

Like the hyper extended versions of the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings, sure there was a lot of waffly bits, but the reward of getting to spend more time in the world far outweighs any perceived dullness.

At the moment I'm enjoying acting the part of being a replicant in the VR experience...lapping up the atmosphere :)

The extra hour and twenty of 2049 are some of those "waffly" bits. ;)

Villeneuve has said the film we saw is the "final cut" so I don't think we'll get another version but I think they should put that extra footage in the blu-ray, iTunes, etc. extra features.

It doesn't need to be cleaned up or have finished VFX and it already an hour plus of content to advertise. I'm hoping there is also a extensive making of documentary and commentaries.

I wonder how this generation would react to a showing of 2001, that is equally long and has many slow moving scenes.

Perhaps people's attention spans or willingness to see a film through to its conclusion have faltered in the age of Twitter / YouTube, where you get bored of one topic quickly and switch every few minutes?

It can't be blamed on just "those damn kids". The internet and social media has affected everyone on it.

As to 2001, I'm of an older generation I could never sit through it. :P I've seen bits and pieces over the years and I've seen the last ten or twenty minutes (though who can tell how many minutes with that movie ;) )

The last time I tried watching was the 90's and I had made the resolution earlier in the year to watch it and a few other "classics" I had overlooked before the year was out - Kubrick's Spartacus and The Godfather movies are some I have not seen. I read The Godfather when I was a kid and had no desire to watch a movie about a woman's quest for a better vagina. :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It can't be blamed on just "those damn kids". The internet and social media has affected everyone on it.

As to 2001, I'm of an older generation I could never sit through it. :P I've seen bits and pieces over the years and I've seen the last ten or twenty minutes (though who can tell how many minutes with that movie ;) )

The last time I tried watching was the 90's and I had made the resolution earlier in the year to watch it and a few other "classics" I had overlooked before the year was out - Kubrick's Spartacus and The Godfather movies are some I have not seen. I read The Godfather when I was a kid and had no desire to watch a movie about a woman's quest for a better vagina. :/

definitely one of those occasions where the film was better than the book.

definitely one of those occasions where the film was better than the book.

So I have heard but the book was hailed as a classical and half of it was not only nothing to do the mafia but a load of old drivel.

Mario Puzo and the readers who made it a best seller must have Ben on crack. :P

Is the vagina "plot line" completely absent in the film?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

So I have heard but the book was hailed as a classical and half of it was not only nothing to do the mafia but a load of old drivel.

Mario Puzo and the readers who made it a best seller must have Ben on crack. :P

Is the vagina "plot line" completely absent in the film?

the only reference to it is when somebody mentions that she is the only one able to accommodate Sonny who is supposedly very well endowed.

the only reference to it is when somebody mentions that she is the only one able to accommodate Sonny who is supposedly very well endowed.

Thank you.

I have nothing against vagina related plotlines but that story just went nowhere ;)

• Advertisement

Nail on the head. We now have a generation of people who have the average attention time of a gnat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Thank you.

I have nothing against vagina related plotlines but that story just went nowhere ;)

Having read the book and seen the film, the film definitely contains the better parts. There's a lot of superfluous stuff in the book.

OldRio wrote: »
    Nail on the head. We now have a generation of people who have the average attention time of a gnat.

True, I was watching the Kingsman 2 recently, not the slowest movie by any stretch, but a guy sitting across checked his phone four times during the movie.

Imagine someone like that watching 2001, with its long sections of no dialogue and little "action". This guy was compelled to check his phone during one of the more entertaining "action" films I've seen this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

....... wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Because of a short attention span, fear of missing out, smart phone addiction...

People do it all the time. Watching TV, at concerts, in restaurants, walking down the street. People even look at their phones while they are talking to other people.

Caught this in the cinema finally.
    Didn't have a big issue with the length or pacing although it's not great in that respect.
    Just didn't engage me for enough of the time to call it a success in my book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

OldRio wrote: »

Notwithstanding that people have probably been saying this for the last 50 years , it's simply not true. It's sort of one of those 'music was so much better back in my day' tropes that gets trotted out fairly regularly.

Simpsons captured it pretty well:

Sorry but I don't agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭micks_address

True, I was watching the Kingsman 2 recently, not the slowest movie by any stretch, but a guy sitting across checked his phone four times during the movie.

Imagine someone like that watching 2001, with its long sections of no dialogue and little "action". This guy was compelled to check his phone during one of the more entertaining "action" films I've seen this year.

Maybe he was waiting for his wife to go into labour :)

I fell asleep during the fast and furious 7... But I was tired

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrZk9sSgRyQ&t=477s

blade runner anime set before 2049

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrZk9sSgRyQ&t=477s

blade runner anime set before 2049

A few guest directors were invited to create some prequel shorts for the movie.

They'll all probably feature on the BluRay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

All 3 are still up on Warner Bros youtube account:
    Slydice wrote: »
    I don't think the three prequels have any spoilers. I felt they enhanced the film experience for me.
    In the order they came out:
    1. "2036: Nexus Dawn":
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgsS3nhRRzQ
    2. "2048: Nowhere to Run":
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ9Os8cP_gg
    3. "Black Out 2022":
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrZk9sSgRyQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Shred

He shouldn't be in the cinema if that's the case out of consideration for other paying customers .

I fell asleep during the fast and furious 7... But I was tired

As long as you weren't snoring that's ok ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

Anywhere over here to get the 4k Blu-ray with the whiskey glasses? There was a hmv link a few pages back. But ain't no one for time for dat.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Notwithstanding that people have probably been saying this for the last 50 years , it's simply not true. It's sort of one of those 'music was so much better back in my day' tropes that gets trotted out fairly regularly.

Simpsons captured it pretty well:

tbf there's some truth in it I think. The internet and mobile notification stuff has definitely had some impact on how closely and how long people can pay attention to stuff. Technology is the big difference between now and 50 years ago. We didn't have such rich stuff to distract us endlessly back then

I feel when I try to put that stuff away and avoid it for a while my focus increases and I feel way better in general

Anyway Bladerunner is cool.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Final numbers, execs wont be happy.

Blade Runner $240m

Other big movies released recently.

IT:$666m

Thor: $431m and counting.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Very ominous return for IT :eek::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

emo72 wrote: »
    Anywhere over here to get the 4k Blu-ray with the whiskey glasses? There was a hmv link a few pages back. But ain't no one for time for dat.

Just got one on amazon.
    They're not always in stock but you can click for an email alert and grab one when they're back in.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blade-Runner-Whiskey-Limited-Blu-ray/dp/B076623RHD/ref=pd_rhf_se_p_img_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=FTY5DPGKABQXTSB4EM8H

CPL 593H

Absolutely stunning
    No matter how comfy those cinema seats are st the start, they feel like a bed of nails at the end though
    Took a while to get into it but then kablamo!!!!

Amazing cinema experience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Icaras

emo72 wrote: »

I have, if they are the blade runner whiskey glasses its great value, I got them for my brother and they are very nice, normally around £99.

• Advertisement

furiousox wrote: »
    Just got one on amazon.
    They're not always in stock but you can click for an email alert and grab one when they're back in.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blade-Runner-Whiskey-Limited-Blu-ray/dp/B076623RHD/ref=pd_rhf_se_p_img_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=FTY5DPGKABQXTSB4EM8H

It's back up for preorder on Amazon UK and available for delivery from February 8th according to them.

Gone!

Actually I think the version just below it also has 3D according to the box cover

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blade-Runner-2049-Disc-Blu-ray/dp/B076619C2P/ref=tmm_blu_title_1?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

The 4K UHD version doesn't seem to mention 3D at all?

Gone!

Glad I got a preorder in time so, but it'll be back again you'd assume. Setup an e-mail alert as per fuiriousox's suggestion - I only did it yesterday and got the notification just before I posted today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

A few guest directors were invited to create some prequel shorts for the movie.

They'll all probably feature on the BluRay.

They do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Any cinemas still showing this?
    Or is there a website with a search facility to find out?
    Thanks in advance.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Any cinemas still showing this?
    Or is there a website with a search facility to find out?
    Thanks in advance.

Still showing at Cineworld, Dublin

https://www.cineworld.ie/#/buy-tickets-by-film?in-cinema=8013&at=2017-11-22&for-movie=ho00004296&view-mode=list

2D only though

When I get my 3D BluRay I'm going to watch it in my own private IMAX (via PSVR headset)

Blade Runner 2049 3d BluRay has dropped to £17.99 on Amazon for pre-order.

Might drop further and they honour the lowest price on pre-orders even if you order at a higher price.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blade-Runner-2049-Disc-Blu-ray/dp/B076619C2P/

• Advertisement
Advertisement