Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***Now Closed***Christmas Pet Photo Competition! Woohoo!

• 04-12-2014 12:21am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Note: This competition is now closed: to see the list of finalists from each category, click here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=93523406#post93523406

Oh. My. Dog. :eek:
    It's been a whole YEAR since our last Christmas Photo Competition!
    Roll up, roll up! It's here again!

For the Winner
    I will donate €25 to the animal charity of your choice, as long as it is based in Ireland, and is registered as a charity with Revenuesmile.png
    I will donate a further €25 to the Santa Strike Force (SSF) on your behalfsmile.png

So, how will this all work?
    De Rulez:
    1. We have 8 Categories. The winner of each category will be selected based on the number of "thanks" it gets. The most thanked picture in each category goes forward to the Grand Final to be considered for the overall First Place.
    2. At the start of your post, please clearly state which category you're entering with each photo.
    3. Each poster can enter one photo per category. This is open for review if enough of you put me under enough pressure :eek:
    Edited to add: the Lolpets category has been opened up due to popular demand :D You can post as many lolpics in this as you like in this one!
    4. One picture per post. Any additional pictures beyond the first per post will be deleted. If you want to enter the same picture in more than one category, post it twice so that each can be voted for separately.
    5. Please keep the photo size to a maximum of 640 x 480! This probably means using a hosting site that allows you to size your picture!
    6. Do not quote photos... quoted photos will be deleted.
    7. This competition is open to pet animals of all species.

So, here's what your post should look like:
    Category 2: Fancy Pants
    Name: Kit Moss
    Then your picture.
    Please feel free to put in a little blurb about the photo and the featured pet(s) under the photo.

Category voting will finish Saturday, Dec 20th at 9pm sharp.

The winner of each category will go forward to the Grand Final, voting for which will close on Tuesday December 23rd at 9pm sharp.

Category 1: Golden Oldies.
    .. Awww, we love our oldie pets, so they deserve a category all of their own :o This category is open to all pets in their senior years :)

Category 2: Fancy Pants.
    .. This is the Best Dressed category, for those of you with pets who looooove to show off their wardrobe of designer clothes :P

Category 3: Lights... Camera.. ACTION! The category that turned up our winner last year, this is the best action shot, a moment where you captured your pet doing something dramatic and energetic :cool:

Category 4: LOL pets! For pics where you captured your pet doing something hilarious or naughty, now's your time to go public and mortify them!

Category 5: Baby face! The oldies got their own category, so we HAVE to have one for our baby animals... this one is for puppies, kittens, baby bunnies, chicks... hell, seeing as we're open to all pets, we'll even allow larvae :D

Category 6: Group Shot! Have you a great picture of all your pets together? Or if you have just one pet, a pic of them with their mates? We want to see it! This is your category :p

Category 7: Dog and Cat Free Zone! We want bunnies, guinea pigs, hamsters, gerbils, degus, birds, lizards, frogs, fish, spiders and.... stick insects :D:D If you couldn't find a category for your not-dog-or-cat above, this is your chance to shine!

Category 8: Never Forget. I wasn't sure whether to go for this one or not, but you know what? Let's do it. It might be a bit sad, and also a bit happy. This category is for pictures of our pets who aren't here in person any more, but who are still in our hearts this Christmas (and every other day). We'll remember them here, and raise a glass to them :)

As always, please don't thank them all for the sake of thinking them all, or we'll never have a winner!
    Good luck, and enjoy! Looking forward to some great pics!
    Happy Christmas everyone!smile.png

Link to instructions on embedding photos into a post:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88125514&postcount=5

Just for the memories, here's last year's Competition!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057106099

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭jellybear

Woo hoo love this competition :)

Name: Daisy

Poor Daisy is our Christmas tree this year :D

2yyb78x.jpg

Category 8: Never Forget
    Name: Zowie

This is one of the last times myself and my sister brought Zowie for a walk before she passed away. She was so insistent on bringing her favourite toy with her and proceeded to drop it and pick it up every 5 feet or so. Longest, but the best, walk ever.

It broke our hearts to lose you Zow. We love and miss you every single day.XxX.

mj18x.jpg

Category 5: Baby face
    Name: Teddy

Baby teddy at about 3 weeks. Hence the name 'Fat head Ted' :)
    x1g8yd.jpg

PS: Huge thank to DBB ( I'm guessing!!) for embedding my pictures. Really appreciate it!! I have a few more but think I should let a few different entries come in first!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Category 4- LOL pets!
    Name: Kovu

dIDPgKNl.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭ihatewinter

Category 1: Golden Oldies
    Name: Poppy

2mzcuhh.jpg
    Poppy.jpg

Loves to pose for pictures when she's not working :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Category 7: Dog and Cat free zone!
    Name: Twitch

330498.jpg

He's a weirdo. But he's my weirdo. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

Name: Lola

1394414_4770582560899_1301156322_n.jpg?oh=33f7d11f0a29a1a58487569f09fd834c&oe=55200733&__gda__=1426637420_958ebe083af02fd002a0f35f35ba8051

That's the most Lola pic there ever was, and I prefer to remember her like this :o

Category 7: Dog and Cat free zone
    Name: Ole (light blue) and Ivy (Violet)
    Ages: 7 and 5 years old

wb2mgp.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Category 8: Never Forget.
    Name: Rusty
    Age: he was 11 in this photo and he left for rainbow bridge just before he reached 12.
    DSCF6150.JPG

This is one of my favourite photos of him and always makes me smile

Category 6: Group Shot
    Name: Joel, Ella and Rosie

2e3zdab.jpg

• Advertisement

Category 6: Lights.....Camera.....ACTION!!!
    Name: Zowie and Ella

It's not a great picture- just shows the speed they were going!!!:)

xojmue.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

I want to enter Category 6 - group shot.
    I'll probably need from now until 20th December to get the photo :pac:

This is Henry last Christmas. It was our last Christmas with him as we had him put to sleep in February of this year. Still absolutely heartbroken everyday but finding it easier to remember the happy times and not burst into tears at the mere mention of his name.

I have another photo of him with light up reindeer antlers on but he doesn't look particularly happy in it (and could you blame him?!) so I chose this one instead.

He was fairly easy to get to pose for a photo if you had some food for him, the rest aren't as good, I foresee problems with the photos this year :P

2013-12-12191746-1_zps88c2a4b4.jpg

The little baby faced assassins. They're still growing their long doxie heads :pac:

2014-06-27221724_zps9f57619d.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

The little baby faced assassins. They're still growing their long doxie heads :pac:

2014-06-27221724_zps9f57619d.jpg

Better get a category on that pic. Quick!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Name: Bunty

Out of the literally hundreds of photos I have of her, this is one of my favorites. She was a one in a million cat. She had her few little normal cat-like things like sitting in front of, or on top of, the laptop when your trying to use it. But for the most part she wasn't a very cat-like cat, anyone that met her or heard stories about her would always say there was something not quite right about her, she had near human qualities. And as my granny always said, someday she'l open her mouth and speak back :)

2ccd0f0d-39ff-466a-ad53-10b8a8d9fd80_zpsda0f8971.jpg

Hooked wrote: »
    Better get a category on that pic. Quick!

It does have a category on it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Category 4: LOL pets!
    Name: Jesse
    Age: 5 months in this photo, about a year and a half now.

ae399fd4-078c-4588-957e-85f7cbd7701f_zpse6d13f46.jpg

Exactly one year ago - later tonight, our long wait to add to our pack ended.

Leorient Dream Shadow was born.
    We call him 'Jack'. And boy was he worth the wait.

Ever since day one, he's lived up to that name - and is his 'big bro's shadow! Follows him EVERYWHERE!!!

I've so many pics of the two of them, but I'm going back to the very start. They day he waked in to the yard, like he'd been here before!

Category 6. Group shot.

Jack (one in a few hours time) and his big bro, Hugo - 3 years, 8 months.

5F1491AB-FA5A-4F75-BCAF-8BDFB8F8743F_zpsjkfmmfr8.jpg

It does have a category on it :)

Very clever you. Very slow me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Semele

Category 7: Dog and Cat Free Zone
    Name: Hugh

8pgrXV.jpg

This is Hugh's (almost!) selfie! He's an African Pygmy hedgehog and is the best little guy in the world. I love this photo because it perfectly captures his curious/happy expression and it looks like he has an awesome hairstyle (spinestyle?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Name: Cream

exSrFyNcj

Cream looking very fancy in his tuxedo!

Category 6: Group shot!
    Names: Dude and Kero
    Ages: 1 and 3ish

exSptwd4j

They are best buddies. Always pal around together, she treats him as if he is her puppy :)

Category 5: Baby face
    Name: Dude

ids6U2Koj

This is the moment when it was decided Dude would be mine forever :)

Category 4: LOL pets!
    Name: Dude

iqKnYSirj

He blows raspberries at anyone who doesn't vote for him :D

Category 3: Lights, camera, action!
    Names: Dude and Cream
    Ages: 1 and 5

pb5SArrsj

Cream's daring mid air catch of his DaBird toy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Category 7: Dog and Cat Free Zone!
    Name: Pookie

H0m2Zvl.jpg

My birdie having an aul yawn and a scratch of the face :o

Category 8: Never forget
    Name: Scrappy

p4YL3sVbj

Scrappy, my first ever pet. From the moment I could talk I tormented my parents for a puppy of my own. It was always a no, not going to happen, till one day when I was about 5 years old I came home from school. On the way home there was the usual questioning on if we had gotten a dog yet, and of course the answer was no yet again. When we arrived home I was told to go into the back garden to say hello to my granduncle, and there in his arms was the most precious bundle of puppy I had ever laid eyes on. She was the most disobedient, antisocial dog I have ever met, but she was MY dog and we had 15 wonderful years together until old age finally caught up with her, I was away in college at the time and was heartbroken when I came home that weekend. But she passed peacefully in my mothers arms. I'll never forget my Scrappy, and even though it's been about 3-4 years since she passed, I still miss her.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭jonnybegood

This is Buddy and Holly all set for Christmas

2u8jjh3.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Category 8 - OZZY

This picture was taken a week before he left us, aged 1yr 3wks, he went on May 1st, still so upset about it to this day and miss him like crazy

IMG_7421_zps26eb7f8c.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement