Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Iphone on Three mobile

• 04-12-2014 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

I don't want to set this up in Three mobile thread as I know I'll get biased answers!

I'm buying an iphone and am thinking of moving from Vodafone to Three.

But how good really are three mobile? Coverage, customer service, etc?

I saw a deal with Three - 55 euro for unlimited everything. Whereas Vodafone and Meteor set limits on their data of 3/6gb. Is Three's pack really 'unlimited'?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

15GB fair usage policy.

However they don't charge you if you go over this amount, only that they reserve the right to slow you down.

Personally, I have gone over loads of times and never been slowed.

Now, down to the coverage. They do not (currently) have a 2g network of their own so they are roaming on vodafones network - this means that your 3G signal drops esp outside of urban areas and doesn't automatically go back on when there is a 3G network again. To get round this you have to flip airplane mode on and off or force your phone to connect to 3G only (this doesn't always work).

This can be damn irritating, but there is hope that this will improve when the O2 network is fully integrated early next year.

Yes, their data packages are the best by miles.

One last thing - don't rely on their customer service (except here on boards) as it is dire (think Ryanair standard). You have to know what you're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 RVM89

ads20101 wrote: »
    15GB fair usage policy.

However they don't charge you if you go over this amount, only that they reserve the right to slow you down.

Personally, I have gone over loads of times and never been slowed.

Now, down to the coverage. They do not (currently) have a 2g network of their own so they are roaming on vodafones network - this means that your 3G signal drops esp outside of urban areas and doesn't automatically go back on when there is a 3G network again. To get round this you have to flip airplane mode on and off or force your phone to connect to 3G only (this doesn't always work).

This can be damn irritating, but there is hope that this will improve when the O2 network is fully integrated early next year.

Yes, their data packages are the best by miles.

One last thing - don't rely on their customer service (except here on boards) as it is dire (think Ryanair standard). You have to know what you're doing.

Grand job, thanks for the response!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I've been with 3 for about 6 years now and I think they're great. Like the above poster said sometimes I have to flip airport mode on and off, and sometimes I can't get 3g in the countryside, but in fairness no-one can in those places. As I'm based in Dublin I rarely have a problem. I agree don't bother with their phone support, just message the guys who come on here, they're great. Stores are pretty decent too. But I honestly love 3, I have the Unlimited data, unlimited texts, free 3-3 calls and free calls on weekends for 20 euro and it's awesome. I use my phone a LOT and often will use it as a hotspot for my ipad too if i need, never lets me down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

I've been with 3 for about 6 years now and I think they're great. Like the above poster said sometimes I have to flip airport mode on and off, and sometimes I can't get 3g in the countryside, but in fairness no-one can in those places. As I'm based in Dublin I rarely have a problem. I agree don't bother with their phone support, just message the guys who come on here, they're great. Stores are pretty decent too. But I honestly love 3, I have the Unlimited data, unlimited texts, free 3-3 calls and free calls on weekends for 20 euro and it's awesome. I use my phone a LOT and often will use it as a hotspot for my ipad too if i need, never lets me down.

I agree. I've been with Three for about four years now and I found their service very good. Great coverage in most places and easy to track usage and bills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭squonk

I switched about 6 weeks ago. I've got for the €20 prepay sim only plan. Great data allowance and free 4G right now too until June 2015. I'm sure they'll start chargin for that at some stage but for now it's great value. I tried 3 about 4-5 years ago and found their coverage abysmal then but they've improved a lot. I rarely see GPRS on the phone now though Vodafone's Edge speed seems crap compared to O2 but once they integrate the O2 network I'll be quite happy. I haven't needed to call customer care but they were crap 5 years ago so I'm not expecitng an improvement. I'd say try a prepary sim out if you've an unlocked phone for a week or two and see how it goes. You can switch then if it suits.

• Advertisement
Advertisement