Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday to USA - Visa Waiver Program - Travel Not Authorized

Options
  • 04-12-2014 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi there,

I applied to get a Visa Waiver Program on ESTA website so I can go to the USA for a holiday.

Completed all sections which there are no issues with. It has rejected the application with the following message displayed beside my passport number - 'Travel Not Authorized'.

Does anyone have experience of how to deal with this issue in a short time period?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

If you're not authorised through ESTA you're going to need to contact the embassy.

Did you answer "yes" to one of the questions? Or have you overstayed in the US before?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

That's generally not a good sign, and a decline will normally mean you'll have to apply for a visa. Getting that in a short time period (how short is short?) may not be possible

Did you enter all yours details correctly? Did you answer any of the questions erroneously?

Even a slight error can cause problems

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Did you use the official ESTA website - how much in US Dollars did they ask you to pay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭berger89

coylemj wrote: »
    Did you use the official ESTA website - how much in US Dollars did they ask you to pay?

good point!
    whichever website you booked your flight through (with me, its aer lingus) will send you a reminder email with a link to the ESTA website. there are some dodgy sites around, so be careful! think it's free the first time you travel, then 14dollars if you re renewing your esta

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

https://www.immigrationcenter.org

Anyone ever use this site?
    It's unofficial but my pal used it and is now worrried.
    Any tips?

• Advertisement

Anyone ever use this site?
    It's unofficial but my pal used it and is now worrried.
    Any tips?

Dodgy out. generally speaking, the airline will send you a link to the esta. i can't send the proper link coz I'm a new user :(

berger89 wrote: »
    Dodgy out. generally speaking, the airline will send you a link to the esta. i can't send the proper link coz I'm a new user :(

Hmm. Anything that can be done to check if it's been approved?

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/esta.html

Check the official website and try to retrieve an application. (Will need passport no., etc)

Honest answer is, I don't know. I can ask my sister---she's been over and back to the US dozens of times over the last few years.
    I remember when I booked my first ever flight to America, she warned me against using websites that the airline didn't link, or that asked for payment straight away..coz I think (from what i can remember) you have free ESTA first time, then it's 14dollars after that.
    There is a website floating around, claiming to be an official American govt. site; but it isn't. I think it was actually on joe duffy before, people getting caught out with it, having to fork over loads of money (unknowingly to the wrong hands).
    I'll try and find out for you!

DM addict wrote: »

Check the official website and try to retrieve an application. (Will need passport no., etc)

yep thats the proper site!

• Advertisement

DM addict wrote: »
    https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/esta.html

Great help thank you very much

• Registered Users Posts: 15 FCGIT13

I applied for a group of applications. One for me and one for my girlfirend. I paid 28 dollars and this was linked from the Aer Lingus Website. I know its authentic as I have used it previously.

The only difference between my application and hers was that I entered my work details while I left hers blank. But I'm not sure where the issue for causing it to be rejected lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

It could be you name- maybe it is the same as someone with issues (terrorism connection, criminal background).
    I assume your passport is all correct, a Irish passport and will be valid for when you travel?
    No issues with even minor arrests, overstays in the USA etc?
    No connections to the communist party, working in a biochemical company or similar?
    You have a return ticket and all?

But yeah, ultimately you need to contact the embassy now and likely get a B2 tourist visa. How easy that is will depend on why you were rejected.

When are you travelling?

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Watch Ryder

Getting an actual visa is actually better than the VWP in many ways. Especially if you own property out there or visit for longer periods than 3 months (which isn't very long at all if you aren't touristing around)

Firstly the VWP is what I call the 'easy in, easy rejection' permit.

You can (and people have been) turned away and sent home on the next flight on the say so of DHS. With a visitors visa (B2) you can appeal any DHS decision to an actual judge so you have much less chance of being binned and sent home. This is unlikely of course but it's nice to know you aren't at the whims of DHS as much as a VWP.

Secondly with an actual visa you have a validity of 10 years! 10 Years of ESTA fees will cost you while with an actual visa you don't pay a penny (except your initial visa of course).

You get a standard SIX months of stay in the USA for each visit on a B2. This is double the VWP and makes things a lot easier in other ways too.

Where I travel around the USA a car is essential! You can drive on an international driving permit, but getting insurance, registering with a title is awkward. Also opening a bank account is near-impossible without an actual visa also. A visa can be changed to another status like marriage (this can cause issues in some areas though) or even work.
    Finally you can actually extend the visa for 6 months giving you a YEAR in the USA! :)

Of course, don't forget that you have to leave the USA for the time you stay in it. So 6 months in the country means at least 6 months out of it.

Also applying for a visa isn't the 'easy-visa' option that it used to be pre-2001.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

How did you get on mate?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭21 Schump Street

When you get an ESTA visa, does it start expiring from when you receive it or from when you enter the US? I'm just wondering when to apply for mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

When you get an ESTA visa, does it start expiring from when you receive it or from when you enter the US? I'm just wondering when to apply for mine.

Assuming there's no possibility of being refused, I wouldn't bother applying until a few days before the flight. Homeland Security recommends applying at least 72 hours before you fly. You should get immediate approval.

ESTA is not a visa, it allows you to present yourself at a point of entry, no more, no less. In practical terms it means that they have no record that you overstayed on a previous stay and that you are not on the 'no fly' list but an immigration agent can still refuse you entry for a multitude of reasons.

Advertisement