Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debit card protection

Options
  • 04-12-2014 7:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Good morning,

a payment reminder that I just received from American Holidays states that a 2% handling fee will apply to all balances paid by credit card. However, that is not the case if the payment is made using a debit card instead, no fees then.

So my question is: If I do use my BOI Visa debit card to pay for my trip, will I still benefit from the same strong levels of protection provided by credit cards, i.e., my money refunded back if the company goes bust, or if my card is used fraudulently, or if my purchase doesn't turn up or is faulty, etc.??

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Laura

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Hi Doctor Grijandermor.[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif] [/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]You're very welcome to Boards.ie and we appreciate you taking the time to send us your query.[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]It is true that holiday companies can apply their handling fee to credit card accounts. This is at their own discretion and unfortunately not something which we have any control over.[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]We fully appreciate your concerns on card/account security and can confirm that our customers security is of the up most importance to us. [/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]We have a Card Security Team in place who monitor customers card transactions 24 hours a day. For any unusual or suspicious transactions, our team will text or call customers to advise of this. [/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]It is also possible to dispute any unfamiliar transactions on your account with the retailer/ business if necessary. We would first ask you to try and resolve this yourself, however if this fails, you can complete a Visa Debit Dispute Form with us. [/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]More information on this can be found on our website here.[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]As always, we would strongly advise you to be careful when deciding to make purchases on any website. You can find some helpful information on this and how to stay safe online here.
    [/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Hope the information above helps. If we can assist you with anything further, please let us know.[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Laura[/font]

Advertisement