Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to MacNean House?

Options
  • 04-12-2014 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭

I wanted to get something special for the wife this Christmas, so just enquired with MacNean House about dinner + B&B. Mad expensive, but sounds like it would be an experience you would not easily forget. Anyway, they are booked up solid for weekends until June, so it's not a runner.

Are there any other similar setups anywhere else in Ireland?
    All advice appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Gregan's Castle, Ballyvaughn.
    The Old Convent, Clogheen.

Are two gourmet getaways that I love.

The Cliffhouse gets great press but I haven't been.

Vaughan's in Liscannor has amazing food and very good B&B but would be less "pampering" than the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Twenty10

I second The Old Convent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Gregans castle
    Ballymaloe house
    The Mustard seed in Co Limerick is well worth visiting, I live in Limerick so have only ever had dinner there but I believe it is a fantastic spot for B&B, hospitality there is superb and the food is fantastic, traditional Irish fine dining.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

Knockranny House hotel, Westport. Their restaurant is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Giggernaut

http://theoldepostinn.com/ I've eaten here a few times and its never disappointed, has a couple of rooms for B&B as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Knockranny House hotel, Westport. Their restaurant is excellent.

Yeah but the hotel is a tasteless, huge, soulless monstrosity left over from the worst bits of that awful Celtic Tiger era.
    A perfect example of far more money than taste going into a hotel. I've only eaten in the bar but I know a group of foodies that were extremely disappointed with the restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭davidclayton

Thanas for all the recommendations! Lots to check out now...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

The Tannery in Dungarvan do a great deal. And the voucher never runs out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I wanted to get something special for the wife this Christmas, so just enquired with MacNean House about dinner + B&B. Mad expensive, but sounds like it would be an experience you would not easily forget. Anyway, they are booked up solid for weekends until June, so it's not a runner.

Are there any other similar setups anywhere else in Ireland?
    All advice appreciated :)

You can mitigate the cost by dining in McNean's but staying in the Customs House Inn (www.customshouseinn.com) just over the bridge in the UK!

I've eaten in the Cliff House - fabulous food, stunning location but the restaurant lacks the homely atmosphere of McNean's.

You might also consider Tankardstown - we've just been (and Paulo Tullio gave it a good write up) and it was lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭bean14

I am planning on going to Nevin Maguires with my sisters in August. I want to stay in McNean House. However two sisters think its too expensive. Is it worth staying in? Is the breakfast worth it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

bean14 wrote: »
    I am planning on going to Nevin Maguires with my sisters in August. I want to stay in McNean House. However two sisters think its too expensive. Is it worth staying in? Is the breakfast worth it?

I would say yes - I'd also say it's worth pushing the boat out and having the tasting menu with the wines.

Per my previous post above - you can stay nearby and still dine there, but save some on the accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

Definitely stay. The breakfast alone is worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

bean14 wrote: »

They only open the book for reservations at certain times of the year. You might not be able to get a booking for August. It be worth enquiring with them before you try and get the sisters on board.

Advertisement