Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old cat (12/13) has started pooping in the house?

• 04-12-2014 11:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭

In recent months my cat has started pooping in the house in different places, one is the sink, the hall and the front room (normally the corner) where she normally sleeps. She's an in/out house cat. She usually jumps up on the window sill to go out and do her business. The problem is that she is in my parents house and I'm in no position to bring her to my accommodation, so there is no litter tray in the house. My parents are in their late 60's and wouldn't be able to be cleaning a littler tray on top of everything else.

The stool it's self is not watery, but it's not totally firm either. Like part of it is a little mushy (sorry!) and the other part is solid/normal. The only thing that has changed recently is that I moved away for college, but I've moved away plenty of times. I'm home for a few days now and she pooped again the room, but this time I heard her looking to get out. But when I opened the window she wouldn't go out instead looking to just go down the house. I just thought she might have wanted some kibble but I found a poo in the room.

As far as we know there aren't any other animals around since we feed her inside only. Sorry for the long post, but I really don't know what to do :(

PS the pooped areas have been thoroughly cleaned with biological liquid but she still poos there. Again sorry for the language, probably not the best thread to read in the morning :P

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Mongarra

We have an old dog who became incontinent (peeing not pooing) and the vet gave us tablets which have worked fine. Apparently the feeling of wanting to pee diminished and she just "went". The tablets revive the bladder feeling of needing to pee so she looks to go outside now as before. Don't know if it would work with a cat and with poo rather than pee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

My parents are in their late 60's and wouldn't be able to be cleaning a littler tray on top of everything else.

Assuming your parents are picking up the poos when the cat goes there's not a world of difference from picking them out of a litter tray? A good clumping litter will be easy to manage and keep clean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭Silent Runner

Thanks.

Actually just cleaned it there and part of it is quite watery. Well one of my parents is disabled (the other has a very bad back) and home help come in and help with it but it's not really part of their duties. I had been looking at one of those rolling litter trays, were you roll it over and the unused little turns over and you can empty the clumps, not sure if anyone here has used it?

She was trained to use the litter tray years ago when she was in a shed at night and she has an area outside with sand and bark mulch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I had been looking at one of those rolling litter trays, were you roll it over and the unused little turns over and you can empty the clumps, not sure if anyone here has used it
    I'd not go there; it's a great way to make sure a cat would not use the toilet no matter what the advertisement says. Your best bet would be to go with a normal one but put it higher to make it easier to access and clean it once a day and of course get a vet to check her out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,943 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Well get to the vet anyway to rule out any thing bad.

Our cat started pooing everywhere and as time went on, it got runny. Keep an eye out on the cats weight. Our cat lost a lot of weight and then she didn't clean herself so we brought her to the vet. She had to be put down as it turned out she had cancer. Hence the runny and uncontrollable poo and weight loss.

• Advertisement
Advertisement