Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airport immigration

Options
  • 04-12-2014 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi there,

What are the odds of immigration asking more than one question about your visa on re entering aus after a holiday to Asia?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Akos01 wrote: »
    Hi there,

What are the odds of immigration asking more than one question about your visa on re entering aus after a holiday to Asia?

Depends what type of visa you are entering on.

2nd WHV-it's almost a cert.
    Holiday visa after a WHV-probable
    457-highly unlikely

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Akos01

De facto visa. Travelling with a friend. Over the Xmas period.

Seem too sus?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

If you are on a de facto visa they shouldn't ask any questions at all. I just came back form Ireland 2 weeks ago on an 820 visa (temp partner/defacto visa) and walked straight through.

When I reentered on my 2nd year on a 2WHV I got pulled aside, questioned about my rural work as My address was Sydney but my work address was QLD. I was working FIFO at the time and it didn't add up until I explained my situation.

They gauged my reaction to looking for payslips or banking records from my company. If I was hesitant they would have suspected something untoward was going on. I was open and offered them my online banking through my phone and they didn't even bother checking it. They checked a few other records and were happy.

Pretty much every 2WHV entering gets questioned.

Anyone else have experiences here?

Anyone else have experiences here?

Is the de facto not legit or something?

As Pete said, once you can prove your status, you are fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

pete4130 wrote: »
    Pretty much every 2WHV entering gets questioned.
    Not really tbh.
    De facto visa. Travelling with a friend. Over the Xmas period.

Seem too sus?

Defacto on which visa, 457, PR, Partner visa etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

You might not even speak to an agent if Smartgate is open for Irish passports by then.

Sundy wrote: »
    You might not even speak to an agent if Smartgate is open for Irish passports by then.

OT but are these in operation yet? Customs website says it's being trialled but my Canadian friend said she couldn't use it three weeks ago.

Any recent returns can confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭stev2604

I returned two weeks ago and they had a sign up saying it was now available to holders of Canadian and Irish passports.

When I tried it told me to speak to someone- not sure if it wasn't working or I was doing it wrong so I just rejoined the regular line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

passed through yesterday, the tri-colour was under the canadian flag at the signs beside the machines so i guess its up and running. i was using my aus passport so wasn't paying much attention, just caught it out of the corner of my eye.

the smartgate is bloody fantastic, straight through, no worries. i was off the plane and in a taxi in a little over 5 mins. only hand luggage though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

the questions it asks Aus passport holders is gas;
    Q1 Were you in Africa in the last 21 days? Yes/No
    Q2 Are you telling the truth? Yes/No

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Batgurl wrote: »
    OT but are these in operation yet? Customs website says it's being trialled but my Canadian friend said she couldn't use it three weeks ago.

Any recent returns can confirm?

Used it coming back from states to Melbourne last month. So handy!

So there's absolutely no risk?
    Even if it meant allot to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

So there's absolutely no risk?
    Even if it meant allot to you?

There's never a risk going through the airport if you have a valid visa or are on a defacto visa and still in the defacto relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭laoisforliam

<unhelpful comments snipped - please be more careful in future>

Advertisement