Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is involved in the interview process for primary school teaching vacancies?

Options
  • 04-12-2014 3:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hi all,

I am not a primary school teacher, and I have no knowledge whatsoever of how the primary education sector operates in Ireland.

In a nutshell, I would love to know who is typically involved when candidates are interviewed for primary school teaching vacancies. Is the teacher(s_/principle of the school involved? The local parish priest? Members of the parent-teacher council of the school? etc.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 desperate housewife

There are three people on the interview panel. One is the school principal, one is the chairperson of the board of management of the school, and one is a principal from another school of the same ethos. There must be at least one male and one female on the interview panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 desperate housewife

Just to add, in some Catholic schools the parish priest might be the chairperson of the board of management so he might be on the interview panel for that reason

• Registered Users Posts: 45 poolsandles

One is a principal from another school of the same ethos.

Not always. The third person, also known as an assessor, can also be a retired principal. The assessor is seen as an independent third party on the interview board.

In recent years, I have noticed a lot of priests standing down as chairpersons of boards of management as they want nothing to do with interview boards. Lately it tends to be a member of the local community who is the chairperson in my experience.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Ours is a Catholic school but we have never had a priest as chairperson of our board of management.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

There are 10 RC primary schools relatively close to ours. They all had a priest as chairperson when I started almost 30 years ago. There's only one now and he's doing his level best to get out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 slickboy

Thanks for your replies everyone.

In relation to the chairperson of the board of management and the independent assessor/third party - is there a requirement that the people fulfilling these roles have previous experience working as a primary school teacher?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

slickboy wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies everyone.

In relation to the chairperson of the board of management and the independent assessor/third party - is there a requirement that the people fulfilling these roles have previous experience working as a primary school teacher?

Not for the chairperson. The independent assessor is taken from a panel made up of serving and former principals AFAIK.

Advertisement