Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

August 2015 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

hi everyone. what are your experiences with stretching pains.
    I've had a dull ache kind of throbbing pain on and off since last night at the front of my pevic region.
    I rang the coombe and they said it sounds normal.I can't help worrying ive never felt pains like this. Although its not really sore just more worrying that anything

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Yep, I've had them too. I can also get a sharpish pain if I stand up quickly sometimes. I think it's called round ligament pain.

thanks Macha. it seems to have eased a bit now

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭catchery

Girls i have them too very sore ! Need to rest and take it easy !!!! This is my third baby and i am also getting braxton hicks which is false contractions ! Already ! Had those at 9 weeks ! My nausea is back also , i have been running around all week i need to chill out ! Remember feet up and rest it works miracles for all those pains ! Take care all part of it x

They're very strange when your not used to them lol.
    That must be very uncomfortable cathery. I'm not looking forward to the braxton hicks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 newby15

Hi all, just wondering if anyone else is waking up in the middle of the night for hours? I can't stay awake after 9/10pm and sleep solid till around 3am but then I'm wide awake for around 2 hours and finally get back to sleep for an hou or two before I'm up for work! I've tried going to be later but I get really cranky and i still wake up in the middle of the night so it doesn't make a difference! A friend told me it's your body preparing for the sleepless nights when the baby comes but I'm only 13 weeks so it's a long preparation!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 clara98

Hi newbie, I'm 21 weeks and have been suffering from insomnia for the last three weeks. I absolutely despise when people suggest its your body's way of preparing you. My gp even agreed that's a load of crap and I'd actually get more sleep having a baby to get up to. I was getting from 1 1/2- 4 hours a night, then a full day in work. Some of the things I've tried and my gp suggested were to:
    *change my sleep routine- choose a bedtime and turn my phone/tablet off an hour beforehand so I'm less stimulated. Have a warm drink and read instead. ( my gp suggested I was too stimulated falling asleep so when I wake I don't have the same stimulation to fall back again)
    * when I wake, listen to soft music on my iPod, or boring podcasts.( beats listening to my partner being asleep)
    * on the recommendation of a friend, I started drinking rooibos tea. It contains no caffeine but turns out I like it so it may or may not be helping.
    * others suggested getting up and doing something for a while and returning to bed.

Sorry for the really long post. Hope some of it helps. I'm starting to go back to normal myself thank god. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭emka1984

newby15 wrote: »
    Hi all, just wondering if anyone else is waking up in the middle of the night for hours? I can't stay awake after 9/10pm and sleep solid till around 3am but then I'm wide awake for around 2 hours and finally get back to sleep for an hou or two before I'm up for work! I've tried going to be later but I get really cranky and i still wake up in the middle of the night so it doesn't make a difference! A friend told me it's your body preparing for the sleepless nights when the baby comes but I'm only 13 weeks so it's a long preparation!!!

I'm afraid that I sleep like a baby! I go to bed much earlier nowadays than usual - around 9.30 pm, and sleep until 6 am which is my usual waking time for work. True, I do wake up once or twice to go to the toilet, but to be honest I did that even before the pregnancy :-) and I fall back asleep with no issues afterwards.

I'm sure we probably all have different experiences here? I hope you get to catch up on some sleep soon, whilst we still can!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭VandC

I wake at four every morning, you could set your clock to me!!! very frustrating and very exhausting as can take two hours to get back to sleep. I've no advice unfortunately just wanted to let you know you're not alone.

anybody been suffering with itching? arms, legs, back and chest are worst affected. haven't changed anything recently but am starting to get raw skin from itching so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭emka1984

VandC wrote: »
    I wake at four every morning, you could set your clock to me!!! very frustrating and very exhausting as can take two hours to get back to sleep. I've no advice unfortunately just wanted to let you know you're not alone.

anybody been suffering with itching? arms, legs, back and chest are worst affected. haven't changed anything recently but am starting to get raw skin from itching so much.

My shins are very itchy for some reason! And (sorry, TMI) my breasts/nipples also from time to time - I have noticed little brownish spots at the tips of my nipples also, kinda like little soft scabs - is this normal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭catchery

Clara98 ! Your doc said you would get more sleep waking up to a baby to what you were experiencing ! Well she never slept here in this house ! Let me tell you you might be awake but you are alone with only yourself to think of ! No little bundle awake all day and all night ! You have to care for them while you can barely function! On my first i was lucky she was a dream for sleeping but my second woke every half hour for months and did not sleep for more than 3 hours until he was 2 ! You cannot go to sleep when they sleep because you are waiting for them to wake again by the time you resettle them you know if you try to go asleep they will wake ! I did nothing different with my second he was thriving doc told me some babies need less sleep just the way it goes ! Do not want to freak anyone out but the reality is if this is your first pregnancy enjoy it try and remember you only have yourself to look after and yes you do have to get up for work but believe me that is easy compared to having a newborn baby to take care of with no sleep !!!! Coming home from work putting your feet up making food for yourself when you want it ! You will never have that again! Having a snooze on the couch when you are tired ahhh the joys of it ! Ask any mother the first pregnancy is just bliss and you dont realise it until you have the next one if you are blessed ! I love being pregnant even with all the pains and discomfort it is an amazing time so hope im not a moaning misery here !
    Sorry major rant think the doctor thing hit a nerve !

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dobbit

Afternoon ladiezzz

Had my first yoga session yesterday. Off to a bad start when I went to the wrong side of the community centre and asked a very much not pregnant woman if this was pregnancy yoga... then I called the instructor by the wrong name, oh dear.

Anyway once that awkwardness was sorted we started off with some breathing and stretching, the breathing took me a while to get into but none of the poses were too much for me, bar one they called the "supermum" - on all fours, right leg and left arm stretched out and then switch, kept loosing my balance on that one. I was the only person there sub 24 weeks though so I was mightily impressed with all the other mamas holding their poses for ages no problem while I trembled and huffed my way through some of them.

The meditation bit was good even though some of the affirmations were a bit naff for the massive cynic that I am, but that's just me.

In summary, not too taxing for a first timer but will take me a bit of practice to be comfortable for long stretches. Others who've been through it before have highly recommended it so I'll stick with it and hopefully it will help.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭cowlove

I really need to get off my ass and do something!

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

I hear ya cowlove but I have so little energy! The sickness seems to have gone (mini dance) but I am still passing out by about half 9 each night. 14 weeks on Friday YAY!

How is everyone feeling today ladies?

cranky :(

I keep forgetting I'm not able for the same things I used to do when I wasn't pregnant. I went to a work event yesterday that started at 3 and was due to end around 10 and I ended up feeling overwhelmed by it all and leaving early. I should have really just gone to half but it was an art class followed by a cooking class and it sounded like such fun. I didn't factor in being on my feet all that time, plus the staff at the cooking place were disorganised and annoyed me no end.

That sucks. It sounds like something I would have tried to endure as well.

Feeling pi$$ed off after a colleague in work commented for the second time in a week that I dont look pregnant and 'am I sure I am har har'. Then switching tones to a more serious note asking if I was sure that I was eating properly and that everything was ok with the baby because I am not putting on any weight. It actually really upset me. I know I dont look pregnant yet but I am only 14 weeks, what is he expecting, a beach ball sized bump for the full 9 months?! And then implying something might be wrong, grrrrrrrrrrrrrr I swear I was ready to kick his ass and blame it on the hormones.

He?

He asked?

What the fcuk would HE know about having a baby exactly? Unless HE is a doctor.

Tell HIM to mind HIS own business, and come back when he has earned his midwifery degree (in which they will tell him EVERY PREGNANCY IS DIFFERENT).

(see I told you I was cranky :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Ms Tootsie wrote: »
    That sucks. It sounds like something I would have tried to endure as well.

Feeling pi$$ed off after a colleague in work commented for the second time in a week that I dont look pregnant and 'am I sure I am har har'. Then switching tones to a more serious note asking if I was sure that I was eating properly and that everything was ok with the baby because I am not putting on any weight. It actually really upset me. I know I dont look pregnant yet but I am only 14 weeks, what is he expecting, a beach ball sized bump for the full 9 months?! And then implying something might be wrong, grrrrrrrrrrrrrr I swear I was ready to kick his ass and blame it on the hormones.

I'm nearly 32 weeks and still barely look pregnant, I look maybe about 4-5 months, what would he make of me?? I like the reply "and is that your professional opinion?", what the feck does he know.

• Advertisement

Omg tootsie
    Cannot believe people can be so rude!I'd tell him to mind his own business.
    I've had a few acquaintances ask me was my baby planned. Why do they care lol

Today is rude person day on here, the stories in the October thread too earlier.

I think I should take on a career as a pregnancy bouncer, I'll follow pregnant ladies around for a small fee and give caustic looks & comments to rude coworkers/friends/family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭greenorchard

I've had a good few work colleagues ask me was it planned or a surprise, these were colleagues I barely know. Also had a colleague ask me outright at 9 weeks if I was pregnant & another asked my boss if I was the same week. Some people have no cop on!

Dobbit wrote: »
    Today is rude person day on here, the stories in the October thread too earlier.

I think I should take on a career as a pregnancy bouncer, I'll follow pregnant ladies around for a small fee and give caustic looks & comments to rude coworkers/friends/family.

I'd hire you on the spot!!!

Can't believe how rude people are. Seriously who thinks it's appropriate to ask if a pregnancy was planned!

Momma Dolla STILL has the morning (afternoon and evening!) sickness :( She can't drink any more ginger tea due to vomiting it up, so have you ladies any suggestions?

Peppermint tea any good? Her bus commute to work in the morning is especially bad.

Has she tried the sickness bands? I found they took the edge off enough to allow me to get the ginger tea and ginger biscuits into my stomach to do their work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Omg tootsie
    Cannot believe people can be so rude!I'd tell him to mind his own business.

I'm here laughing at this cos every second person I told at the beginning asked me this! some of the questions I was asked I was shocked with!

I seriously dont get it. It is not something that would ever cross my mind to ask so it baffles me as to what must go through peoples minds for them to think this is an entirely appropriate question.

Noticed my clothes getting snug this morning :D 14 weeks today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Loads of people asked me if we were trying too - weird!! Even my mam wouldn't ask me that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I've been asked a good bit if it was planned or not. I think because we're older and most of our friends have had their families and we have always been a contented childless couple people probably thought we made a conscious decision not to have kids. I'm 14 weeks and we hadn't a clue until I was 9/10 weeks. I'm really lucky, I haven't had a bit of sickness, but have a bit of insomnia, I haven't been able to sleep though the night since Christmas. While I don't think I'm showing, I certainly feel like I'm a bit tight in my clothes and cannot wait until the main part of the day is over so I can get into my comfy pyjamas.

Advertisement