Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

August 2015 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

Oh right that's grand. I must ring the receptionist before I go back to see if they have to leave me out a prescription to get it before I go in

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dobbit

emka1984 wrote: »
    I'm doing mine in Holles St. I found the first one rather useless, but the following sessions have been rather good so far! I guess it's all down to who is running them & how they do it... But I find them interesting enough since you can ask questions, etc... Plus you're in a group and sometimes others come up with questions that I wouldn't have necessarily considered... I think it's good to have a bit of a "training" :-)

I'm also doing mine in Holles Street, do you have Margaret? She's very funny.

@Irishgirl, I've found them really useful because I like to be prepared and know what's happening at all times, I'm a bit of a control freak like that. The bit on pain relief I found good too because I didn't understand what I would be offered and that I don't have to request an epidural in advance.

Yeah I think they will help me I haven't really got a clue what to expect with the birth to be honest I've only been reading up on birth plans etc the last few days. I thought epidural and gas and air were the only pain relief options up until a few days ago

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

Thanks Emka. I'm looking forward to them. Plus I get to leave work early which is an added bonus :)
    I'm in the midwife clinic in Lucan next tues then have my physiotherapy class thurs morning and ante natal Thurs evening. I'm noticing the appts are getting a lot closer now. Is there a cut off point for the whooping cough. I'm not back in with the doctor until I'm 33 wks

I am similar IG I am in with the GP today (hoping to get the vaccine) then I have my physio class on Tues morning then another one the following Tuesday and then I am in with the midwife the Tuesday after that when I will be almost 31 weeks.

I'm on countdown mode now. Its great to be on single figures and say I've 9 weeks left :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 RiceCrispy

Got a great tip on my last pregnacy for the hospital bag, instead of those bulky maternity pads get disposable bladder weakness full pants - most chemist have them. Yes it's a bit awkward actually buying them, but not half as awkward as sitting/walking/ changing horrid green maternity pads worrying if they are secure etc. you will appreciate the comfort on sore lady bits, believe me.

Sounds like a good idea rice crispy. Would they have enough protection?

Yes get the plus/ maxi ones. Much comfier especially at nighttime. Also I found taking arnica tablets straight away and wearing the bamboo belt support after the birth helped my insides get back to where they were supposed to be much quicker than on my first baby. In this weather I would also recommend a cooling face mist spray I have an evian one packed, the hospital can get super stuffy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭VandC

Eh, not sure if I should be worried or if its normal but does anybody else have a hard lump underneath their rib cage. I noticed one last night just under where the ribs meet. I don't know whether to go doc earlier or not as i don't have an appointment until Friday. It's not sore but has anybody else experienced this?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭catchery

VandC wrote: »
    Eh, not sure if I should be worried or if its normal but does anybody else have a hard lump underneath their rib cage. I noticed one last night just under where the ribs meet. I don't know whether to go doc earlier or not as i don't have an appointment until Friday. It's not sore but has anybody else experienced this?

Im sorry VandC I dont remember experiencing this maybe someone else did and can give you peace of mind. Can you ring your doc and ask to speak with her/him explain to receptionist?

• Advertisement

RiceCrispy wrote: »
    Yes get the plus/ maxi ones. Much comfier especially at nighttime. Also I found taking arnica tablets straight away and wearing the bamboo belt support after the birth helped my insides get back to where they were supposed to be much quicker than on my first baby. In this weather I would also recommend a cooling face mist spray I have an evian one packed, the hospital can get super stuffy.

The arnica tabs can be taken 4 weeks prior to giving birth to give your body a head start against bruising. I also used witch hazel lotion which can be bought in most chemists. Its a cooling hygienic lotion you put on pads to keep area clean every time you change just pour some on the pad. It doesn't sting its cool which is a nice sensation. I was advised also to wear full support shape underwear after birth to hold everything in, the only thing i found was the heat of it was unbearable! Especially if you are breastfeeding! The weeks after birth your hormones are off the wall so you body heat is all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭cowlove

I have my first ante natal class tomorrow. I'm just wondering, is it like you see on telly with you and your birthing partner sitting on the floor doing breathing techniques? Or are you just sitting in a room listening to a midwife? I only ask as I will be going on my own tomorrow so would like some idea of what to expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

cowlove wrote: »
    I have my first ante natal class tomorrow. I'm just wondering, is it like you see on telly with you and your birthing partner sitting on the floor doing breathing techniques? Or are you just sitting in a room listening to a midwife? I only ask as I will be going on my own tomorrow so would like some idea of what to expect.

Sitting in a room listening to midwife :) There's no need for the menfolk at the first one imo, it's mostly about how to deal with pregnancy and the changes to yourself. It's the second class that's about labour etc. By the way, if at your second class there is no mention of c sections and what's involved in an emergency one I would ask. Our class only dealt with natural labour and delivery, so I hadn't a clue when I had an emcs, whereas my friends antenatal class in the same hospital but different midwife gave lots of detail of what happens during one.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 dekey

I had this too, it's a bit of cartilage that was previously hidden by the ribcage. During pregnancy the ribs separate slightly to accommodate your organs being pushed upwards and when they move a lump of cartilage can pop through. I was told that it's nothing to be concerned about unless it's causing you any pain. My lo is now 9mths and I still have the lump (though not as prominent as when I was pregnant) but it causes me no bother and once I knew it was nothing to be concerned about I kinda forgot about it. When I read your post it reminded me and I had to check that it was still there

Thanks dekey and cathery. Jeez didn't think ribs separated too. I'll be like a jig saw to be put back together after all this. :-D

Baby is still breech. Hopefully she will have turned at my next appt on 1st of July

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Baby is still breech. Hopefully she will have turned at my next appt on 1st of July

A friend of mine swore that acupuncture turned her baby. I've never had acupuncture so don't know if it works for anything!

I've never tried it borderlinemeath. I think if its still the same at my next appt I will look into it. The midwife said they will discuss options if its still the same at 36weeks. I think I felt something under my ribs today .was a mad feeling! Have physiotherapy classes tomorrow and also start the antenatal classes then too

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Yikes, it is time to start worrying about breech babies? No sooner is one worry out of sight but another one appears!

I also got some lovely swelling in my feet and ankles yesterday, as if I didn't already feel enormous (cue googling about pre-eclampsia and blood clots..)

Macha wrote: »
    Yikes, it is time to start worrying about breech babies? No sooner is one worry out of sight but another one appears!

I also got some lovely swelling in my feet and ankles yesterday, as if I didn't already feel enormous (cue googling about pre-eclampsia and blood clots..)

I also have swelling and when I mentioned it to the midwife on Tuesday she just looked at me as if to say "...you're fine"

Anyone who has been through this before recommend TENs for labour?

• Advertisement

RiceCrispy wrote:

Is there anything in particular that should look out for when buying the support belt? Are they worth wearing before you deliver?

Hi all ! Dobbit I used Tens machine for both pregnancies even got to bring home and use at the end! If you have been experiencing braxton hicks this is very close to how a contraction feels but the real thing will also be internal like a shooting pain up inside you ? Make sense ? Your back will benefit the most from the tens machine i found it really good and you can keep it on through the first stage, i really advise to look up hypnobirthing techniques for breathing especially through the contractions and to have visuals in your head to keep calm while in labour. Keeping calm is sooooo important if your calm and breathing right your body will go with the flow!
    Bring a small cd player with music to play that relax's you and a fav pillow whatever will comfort you bring with you nobody will blink an eye !
    Sorry big speal there !

catchery wrote: »
    Hi all ! Dobbit I used Tens machine for both pregnancies even got to bring home and use at the end! If you have been experiencing braxton hicks this is very close to how a contraction feels but the real thing will also be internal like a shooting pain up inside you ? Make sense ? Your back will benefit the most from the tens machine i found it really good and you can keep it on through the first stage, i really advise to look up hypnobirthing techniques for breathing especially through the contractions and to have visuals in your head to keep calm while in labour. Keeping calm is sooooo important if your calm and breathing right your body will go with the flow!
    Bring a small cd player with music to play that relax's you and a fav pillow whatever will comfort you bring with you nobody will blink an eye !
    Sorry big speal there !

I learned breathing through yoga so I'm good with that. Hypnobirthing is definitely not for me. I'm one of those people who prefers to concentrate and be present when stressed out. Hard to explain but even music sets me on a knife edge when I'm tense.

Can you only use Tens in first stage then?

I meant to say all stages sorry ! Some people hate it, i found it brilliant really eased the pain . Everyone is different and will know what works for them. Ask your midwife Dobbit she will explain it to you. You seem to know already what will keep you focused which is great ! Just wanted to suggest hypnobirthing cos i just used this and the tens and ball and couldn't use gas cos it made me feel sick ! It really is an individual choice as is an epidural ! Keeping calm is the most important thing ladies : )

Is anyone else feeling hiccups all the time? Baby seems to have it 3/4 times a day!

Is there anything in particular that should look out for when buying the support belt? Are they worth wearing before you deliver?

It's for after the birth, helps everything go back into place internally quickly, really good support for your core so you don't feel so loose.

Got mine in mothercare, it won't let me post a link but Google Belly Bandit and you'll find it x

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Duberlin Chick

Dobbit wrote: »
    Is anyone else feeling hiccups all the time? Baby seems to have it 3/4 times a day!

Yeah me too. I'm due in July but the last couple of weeks it's AT LEAST once a day! Was wondering the same myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

30 weeks and 3 days today and the tiredness is making a return.

I have them too especially after dinner and in the evening time when im relaxing a bit! Baby swallowing the amniotic fluid great sign and also a sign the end is very near ! All babies do this but some mams cannot feel it. I remember on my first when it started happening i didnt know what it was and asking my midwife so relieved it was ok. They can be uncomfortable when the head is engaged too !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Yep, I get them too, really low down which is strange because I know my little guy is head up...And I am also really tired, afternoon naps are a must these days! I also feel my belly seizing up when I walk very quickly, which I think are the Braxton Hicks contractions. Oh and my ankles completely disappeared the other day after a particularly hot afternoon!

Does anyone have a solution for moving the baby around the house with you? We have a cot set up in our bedroom but I'm a bit nervous about leaving the baby alone for long periods of time while I'm in the sitting room or kitchen. Or is a monitor the best solution?

Advertisement