Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

August 2015 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Macha wrote: »
    Does anyone have a solution for moving the baby around the house with you? We have a cot set up in our bedroom but I'm a bit nervous about leaving the baby alone for long periods of time while I'm in the sitting room or kitchen. Or is a monitor the best solution?

They're meant to nap in the room you're in when little, not away from you in a separate room. Are you having a moses basket, carrycot part of buggy, a bouncer? We have the second two, and a sling, would be lost without them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

They're meant to nap in the room you're in when little, not away from you in a separate room. Are you having a moses basket, carrycot part of buggy, a bouncer? We have the second two, and a sling, would be lost without them.
    Ah, good to know my instincts are correct!

I'm not really keen on buying a moses basket and all the related bedding just for a few months and we're avoiding buying a buggy until he's 6 months (the pavement in Brussels is atrocious).

And on the bouncer, I thought about it but was hesitating because they should sleep flat on their backs, no?

Edit: or a travel cot maybe?

I think you can get Moses baskets pretty cheap, and all you need is 1 or 2 fitted sheets for it, no? A pack of two of them is about €10-15 here, anything else like cellular blankets you'll need anyway.

When our boy was 1-6 weeks he slept flat in the carrycot or in the sling for naps, but then he decided he hated sleeping flat unless swaddled in his cradle, he hates when people even lay him down to hold/play with him (doesn't have reflux just likes to be sitting up), so he sleeps in the bouncer for some naps, mostly he just plays and looks around in that. It's great for him to see around him for the last few weeks, he's 11 weeks now.

Yeah travel cot would be another option.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Macha wrote: »
    Yep, I get them too, really low down which is strange because I know my little guy is head up...And I am also really tired, afternoon naps are a must these days! I also feel my belly seizing up when I walk very quickly, which I think are the Braxton Hicks contractions. Oh and my ankles completely disappeared the other day after a particularly hot afternoon!

I know exactly what you mean about the "seizing up", I walk a good but tend to amble along rather than hike, but if I'm walking with my husband he walks a little quicker than I'd like and I get that cramping feeling.
    Does anyone have a solution for moving the baby around the house with you? We have a cot set up in our bedroom but I'm a bit nervous about leaving the baby alone for long periods of time while I'm in the sitting room or kitchen. Or is a monitor the best solution?

I'll be using the carrycot part of the uppababy vista travel system. Luckily we're in a dormer bungalow with our bedroom on the ground floor so I can wheel baby into the bedroom if I want to take a nap too and then wheel back to the living room or kitchen when I'm there. I figure it'll be easier than moving baby about between cot and carrycot. I think a travel cot is probably the most versatile thing for you for lying flat, and it can be used on an ongoing basis, the only thing I would say is that some of them have really thin mattresses/bases so padding or a mattress topper may well be needed depending on the model.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dobbit

Back is absolutely in bits today. Can barely sit at my desk. Feels like this baby will be biggest one that's ever been born. 5 weeks to go from Friday, just let it end!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭emka1984

Dobbit wrote: »
    Back is absolutely in bits today. Can barely sit at my desk. Feels like this baby will be biggest one that's ever been born. 5 weeks to go from Friday, just let it end!!

Hope you're feeling better now!?

Goodness, I feel really blessed now - 33 weeks tomorrow and not a single back ache! Surely I jinxed it now, though... :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭je551e

emka1984 wrote: »

Goodness, I feel really blessed now - 33 weeks tomorrow and not a single back ache! Surely I jinxed it now, though... :cool:

Really? Did you have a good back beforehand ?

je551e wrote: »
    Really? Did you have a good back beforehand ?

Not sure whether it was good or not, but I never really complained of anything back-related, so I guess it's a good one? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭je551e

Not sure whether it was good or not, but I never really complained of anything back-related, so I guess it's a good one? :-)

Yes must be, you're lucky.. Back pain can be a killer :)

Had a bad back myself lots of injuries and the pregnancy has just aggravated them all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

I feel ya dobbit. My upper back is killing me the last few days. Probably doesn't help sitting at a desk all day.

• Advertisement

I'm 2 weeks ahead of you and it's only started to get bad lately so give it time! :P

@Irishgirl, yeah desks are not built for pregnant ladies, bump hitting off it, uncomfortable chairs, :pac:

Grand today though. Had our tour of the labour ward in Holles Street yesterday, pretty much what I expected. There was a woman in the next room screaming and chanting which the midwife told us is what some cultures do to help with the pain. Poor lady.

Oh the tour of the hospital sounds interesting. I was watching midwife's last night and I think it was the first time it properly dawned on me that I'd be going into labour soon and would I cope with the pain. I started getting butterfly's ha

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

How is your back today Dobbit? I have been lucky so far with regards to back ache but I am only 31 weeks so I dont want to jinx myself just yet!

The hospital tour sounds so interesting. We have ours in The Coombe this day next week. No idea what to expect.

How is every one coping with the heat? Especially at night?

Lol Dobbit, i have something to look forward to so ;-)

There was no screaming during my visit thankfully, but we didn't get to see too much as almost all the rooms were in use!

Goodness it's starting to become real now isn't it?Eeek!

Heat issues - in work I have a little fan on my desk that helps a bit, and at home for now I'm coping somehow, surprisingly! Let's see how long it will last for!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭VandC

Highs of mid to late twenties next week. If stories are to be believed. I'm more scared of dealing with that first :-D

Ms Tootsie wrote: »
    How is your back today Dobbit? I have been lucky so far with regards to back ache but I am only 31 weeks so I dont want to jinx myself just yet!

The hospital tour sounds so interesting. We have ours in The Coombe this day next week. No idea what to expect.

How is every one coping with the heat? Especially at night?

Back is a bit better thanks! The heat is a real killer though. Waking up at all hours in a sweat all week.

Last night baby decided that it was going to have a bit of time pretending to be Alien so it curled up in a ball on one side of my bump and made it look all misshapen and massive. Poor husband wanted to go to the hospital he was so freaked by it!

Finally got my whooping cough vaccine sorted, no side effects thankfully.

Oh also, here's three fun things people said to me yesterday:

Colleague "You look super pregnant!"
    Me: Yeah thanks I hadn't noticed...

Aunt: "Are you sure there isn't two in there?"
    Me: ....lol?

Husband: "You look like you have a club foot from the swelling"
    Me: THANKS!!!!

Dobbit wrote: »
    Oh also, here's three fun things people said to me yesterday:

Colleague "You look super pregnant!"
    Me: Yeah thanks I hadn't noticed...

Aunt: "Are you sure there isn't two in there?"
    Me: ....lol?

Husband: "You look like you have a club foot from the swelling"
    Me: THANKS!!!!

I think it's worse the other way! All I hear is:

"You're so neat"

"You're 7 months now? You don't look it"

Leaving me worried my baby will be on the small side. Although every visit I've been spot on size wise, every measurement has been normal. But when the general public give their opinion it does worry you!

One colleague in the lift today thought I had 2/3 more months to go and I was like "oh you!" (but also jesus no, I would lose my reason).

I'm sure the babies will all be grand sizes, can be hard to keep in mind that all bumps are different.

People keep saying I am very neat but I feel huge! I suppose everyone feels huge though afterall we are carrying round a baby curled up in our belly lol. Midwife said I was neat but that baby is measuring for dates spot on in the middle of average. Pregnant women cant keep everyone happy - people seem to think we are too big or too small. FFS no one asked your opinion randomer!

Noticed my rings are very tight this morning. Carpal Tunnel really flared up last night so going to mention it with my midwife next week. At least CP is what I think it is.

I reckon it is all due to swelling because of the heat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭catchery

Thought i was in labour on Friday had braxton hicks with period like cramps and lower back pain for most of the day ! Spent most of yesterday in bed resting think i overdid it this week cant stop cleaning im like a crazy person ! Still getting very strong braxton hicks today but dont feel funny baby must be getting in position. This is my third time round and i knew i wasnt in full labour but felt like it was starting .... im 34 +2 so really want to hang in there! Hope everyone is well and heat isnt killing them !

Yikes catchery. I'd say u got a fright. I don't think I've experienced braxton hicks yet.
    Its getting real for me now. Was watching one born every minute the other night and started getting really nervous lol.
    They showed us an epidural needle in our antenatal classes which freaked me out a bit. Was planning on getting it

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭catchery

Hi irishgirl still getting them say thats just it now unless i sit constantly but with two small ones running around it cant be done lol ! Epidural is fine you just have to stay really still it doesnt hurt and relieves the pain you are in ! Its done in 2 mins just feels a bit cold and cos its in your back you cant see it !!

Thanks I think I have it psyched up in my head as a really big thing. I think its the anticipation of it that's worse

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Kyle47

Ms Tootsie wrote: »
    People keep saying I am very neat but I feel huge! I suppose everyone feels huge though afterall we are carrying round a baby curled up in our belly lol. Midwife said I was neat but that baby is measuring for dates spot on in the middle of average. Pregnant women cant keep everyone happy - people seem to think we are too big or too small. FFS no one asked your opinion randomer!

Noticed my rings are very tight this morning. Carpal Tunnel really flared up last night so going to mention it with my midwife next week. At least CP is what I think it is.

I reckon it is all due to swelling because of the heat.

My friend had CTS when she was pregnant, the doctor wanted to do surgery! It can be caused by the hormones (and you're right the heat made it worse), and will go away afterwards so do not do anything drastic! She did find a cold compression wrap that helped her, I borrow it now for a ganglion I have in my wrist and I got to say it works great. She got it from a company called King Brand Healthcare.

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in pregnancy is caused by the excess fluid in your wrists compressing the nerve. Your gp or midwife will refer you to physio to get splints, they are great for it. Take off your rings while you can.

Was at a training seminar yesterday and was sitting down for the vast majority of the day which is something I never do, by the end of the day sitting I was just really uncomfortable, all I wanted to do was get up and stretch my legs but I didn't. Today I'm just so uncomfortable, walking, sitting, stretching etc. The only way I'm not achy is when I'm lying down, so I was sitting out on a sun lounger and even when there was a light rain shower I stayed put, it was more comfortable to get rained on than to move! I'm wondering is it the start of being uncomfortable or did I just stay sitting too long yesterday!

Rings are off now :) . Knuckles were so swollen the last few days they were clicking! In with the midwife today so I am hoping she will refer me to physio.

Fun hospital appointment this morning, I made a comment about baby seeming very big and the student doctor who was examining me decided that yes it did look very big and I should go for a second scan in case I have gestational diabetes! 2 hours later turns out baby is within normal size parameters at 6lbs 5 so far (36 weeks on Friday), not going to be tiny but nothing to worry about.

• Advertisement

What a nightmare Dobbit!!! Sounds like baby is a good healthy size. Wow 36 weeks on Friday! It's scary how quick time has gone. I cant believe we are all in the single digit countdown for weeks and some of us have just over 4 weeks left to D-Day.

Advertisement