Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

August 2015 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭VandC

Any recommendations for a good "how to" book? I need to figure out all the practical stuff such as keeping things sterile etc and I need to learn quick!! :-) TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dobbit

had my 38 week appt this morning, baby still sitting comfortably. Well for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

Macha wrote: »
    In the end we found a small one (almost like a counter-top bin) with a lid that's easy to open. I reckon a smaller one is better because it's not like you want to leave a big pile of nappies there for ages.

I have heard the custom-made nappy bins are considered a bit of a waste of money by some. I suppose just one that's the right size and easy to open is the trick.

borderlinemeath - that sounds utterly exhausting. I cooked lunch for friends on the weekend and was so tired by the time they arrived, I wasn't even good company. Fell asleep for a few hours as soon as they left.

Sorry to butt in. I thought the same about the actual nappy bins but my husband insisted so we got one. It's actually brilliant. I can't imagine dealing with the smell of nappies in an ordinary bin and you won't want to be traipsing out to the wheely bin with every dirty nappy. No smell at all from ours. I've smelt the normal bin with dirty nappies and it turns my stomach. We bought ours on amazon and stocked up on cassettes at the same time as they were on sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

Omg dobbit I can't believe one of us is on their 38 week appt already! Its getting very close now.
    I was in the Hosp yesterday and doc confirmed baby not breach anymore and very low down. Getting really uncomfortable pelvic pain so have this week off work. I only have 2 weeks left from tomorrow anyway.
    How is everyone.
    Never thought of those nappy bins. Might pick one up on amazon when I get paid

Officially on maternity leave now! Let the waiting begin...

Ok I'm bored now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

Oh Dobbit I am so jealous. I still have four weeks to go and I am starting to find it tough. I have carpal tunnel and it was so bad this morning I had to get my OH to help me get dressed!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Had a scan yesterday and baby already weighs 6lbs, so estimated birth weight could be around 9lbs! :eek:. Everybody has been saying I'm very neat, even the sonographer yesterday but the measurements indicated an already 6lb baby. Thankfully I'll be induced in or at my due date!

The baby measured 6.5lb two weeks ago and as of yesterday I still have four weeks to go. I'm more scared of the damage to me than the labour at this point!!! :-D

Ah I wish they told me at the coombe last week the weight
    Just told me she's measuring normally.
    36 weeks tomorrow. Im finishing up on work on the 29th. It can't come quick enough

Think they only told me in the coombe because it was so big!!! They then sent me for the glucose test but that was clear. Just gonna be big!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Ah I wish they told me at the coombe last week the weight

They're just very loose estimates anyway. My baby was estimated at 6lbs 11ozs at 36+4, was born two days later weighing 7lbs 7ozs.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

My friend had her little one in the Coombe on Tues and they told her to expect a 9lb + baby and he was 7lb 12 so it's a guessing game, try not to worry too much. I asked them for an estimate on this nugget and was told just that everything was average. Not very exciting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

My sister was told to expect a 10lber, they were planning to induce her on a thurs, but her waters broke on a mon night a week before due date. Baby was born at 8lb 2 oz, fairly average but he was a very long and skinny baby. All their estimates are based on length and averages.

She also had to take the glucose test twice as they were ' certain' she had diabetes!

Mine was 6lbs 5 at the start of July, looks like we are all having big healthy babies!! My bump is massive though and I was a chubster at 9lbs so I knew this one would be large.

Got my going home from hospital outfit in Penneys today (last of the big spenders me). Got some loose elasticated printed trousers and a flowy black top. Lots of room in a size 14 which I'm happy with, can't wait to get back into shape and into my size 10s again!

I'm blaming himself if baby is a whopper, he was 10.5 lbs when he was born :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭cowlove

I'm blaming himself if baby is a whopper, he was 10.5 lbs when he was born :eek:

Ha! I said the same to my doctor. I thought my husband was 9lb when born. Doctor said the babies size was nothing to do with that and more my diet!!

I said does that mean I'm eating too much etc she said no just that you are eating well.

She didn't seem to think it was a bad thing!

Dobbit wrote: »
    Mine was 6lbs 5 at the start of July, looks like we are all having big healthy babies!! My bump is massive though and I was a chubster at 9lbs so I knew this one would be large.

Got my going home from hospital outfit in Penneys today (last of the big spenders me). Got some loose elasticated printed trousers and a flowy black top. Lots of room in a size 14 which I'm happy with, can't wait to get back into shape and into my size 10s again!

I bought pjs in penny's weeks ago for the hospital bag and bought 14-16 as I had no idea what size I would be at this stage. I think now they could be falling off me.

I'm very confused about car seats at the moment. I'm getting the beep twist travel system as part of the baby elegance bundle and it comes with a car seat which is isofix compatible but we have no base yet. Do I have to buy the specific base for that seat or does any isofix seat fit into any isofix base? The seat is grand for when baby is small but we'll need something bigger after a while. I don't want to waste money on a base which is not compatible with anything else and then have to replace it as well as the seat?

Dobbit wrote: »
    I'm very confused about car seats at the moment. I'm getting the beep twist travel system as part of the baby elegance bundle and it comes with a car seat which is isofix compatible but we have no base yet. Do I have to buy the specific base for that seat or does any isofix seat fit into any isofix base? The seat is grand for when baby is small but we'll need something bigger after a while. I don't want to waste money on a base which is not compatible with anything else and then have to replace it as well as the seat?

From memory all the brands have their own bases. Maxi cosi have theirs, Britax theirs etc. When I worked in nursery the beep wasn't out so I can't be certain, but I'd imagine it would be brand specific just like the others.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Yaay, finally on maternity leave. Time for me to get my money's worth out of Netflix.

Anyone bringing music with them to the labour ward? Having never been through childbirth, I have no idea what kind of music might help (or just drive me mad).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭catchery

Yaay, finally on maternity leave. Time for me to get my money's worth out of Netflix.

Anyone bringing music with them to the labour ward? Having never been through childbirth, I have no idea what kind of music might help (or just drive me mad).

Well macha thats great get them feet up and relax whatever music calms you now will probably do the trick ! Or you mightnt like any music at all when you are in labour ! Enjoy the rest !

Woohoo, welcome to the boredom club, lol :P

I bought puff pastry today to do some baking this week, that's how bored I am.

Had my 39 week appointment today, no news, back next week, le sigh. LOTs of braxton hicks pains the last 24 hours so hopefully something will happen soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭emka1984

Very jealous!

I was meant to be working until the 31st of July but not so sure now anymore as they told me in the hospital today that they are considering inducing me next week as the baby is so small! :-( That's my luck - no boredom time for me! :-(

Not to mention that the idea of induction is not a favourite one of mine! I'd much rather do things naturally and closer to the proper due date!

Oh well, will now need to wait and see... just hope the baby is going to be OK!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭Allirog

Just popping in from the June thread :)

Emka, did they tell you how small your baby is measuring? I had the same issue and I was induced in May (my girl is 8 weeks now!) and the induction process for me was actually good... I got the gel, contractions started and waters broke. Try not to be too horrified by it and enjoy your free time from here on in :)

Allirog wrote: »
    Just popping in from the June thread :)

Emka, did they tell you how small your baby is measuring? I had the same issue and I was induced in May (my girl is 8 weeks now!) and the induction process for me was actually good... I got the gel, contractions started and waters broke. Try not to be too horrified by it and enjoy your free time from here on in :)

They told me the weight is 2.3kg and she's around 2 weeks behind size-wise. I'm gong to be 37 weeks on Thursday. They are not 100% sure yet that they will induce me next week but they told me to be prepared :-)

Good to hear you had a positive experience - I've read that a lot of inductions end up with a forceps and I really don't want that :-( so thank you for some reassuring words :-)

I will still be working now so no free time for me to enjoy but hey, I'll have to survive :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Kaylami

emka1984 wrote: »

Good to hear you had a positive experience - I've read that a lot of inductions end up with a forceps and I really don't want that :-( so thank you for some reassuring words :-)

I will still be working now so no free time for me to enjoy but hey, I'll have to survive :-)

Just popping over from September thread I was induced at 39 weeks with my little girl she was 2.3kg when born.

I had a brilliant labour asked for 2 panadol when the pain was a bit more intense and it was actually time to push. No tears no forceps!

Best of luck x

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭catchery

Hi emka i was induced on my second was 42weeks so had to be done but had a natural birth once they broke my waters no intervention after that. Try not to worry hun

Kaylami wrote: »
    Just popping over from September thread I was induced at 39 weeks with my little girl she was 2.3kg when born.

I had a brilliant labour asked for 2 panadol when the pain was a bit more intense and it was actually time to push. No tears no forceps!

Best of luck x

Thank you! I feel much better now ladies! Gives me some hope that maybe if I do have to be induced next week, it might actually be an OK experience :-)

Hi girls, my waters broke on Monday and I am being induced today 😊 I thought I might go naturally yesterday but baby is staying put. I was really scared about being induced but spoke to a lovely midwife yesterday and I feel more positive about it today 😊

38 weeks 😊

• Advertisement

Best of luck cowlove :-) very exciting

Advertisement