Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

August 2015 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭catchery

Anyone else with lower back pain? Or is that common

Hi irishgirl19 lower back pain is common everything is stretching and changing and as long as it is not severe pain thats ok ! A lot of changes happening inside you at the moment along with the baby growing ! Try and rest and use a hot water bottle for relief hope this helps take care !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

catchery wrote: »
    Hi irishgirl19 lower back pain is common everything is stretching and changing and as long as it is not severe pain thats ok ! A lot of changes happening inside you at the moment along with the baby growing ! Try and rest and use a hot water bottle for relief hope this helps take care !

Thanks cathery I feel relieved now. I'm afraid to Google anything because the always show horror stories!

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dobbit

I'm in more pain now than I was in my first trimester! This is my body's way of paying me back for no morning sickness.

I've been having very vivid dreams for the past few weeks but last night they evolved into very scary nightmares, maybe even night terrors. I kept dreaming over and over that someone was trying to break into the house and I woke up shouting at one point. The very last dream I knew I was asleep and kept trying to wake myself up but couldn't.

Ive been having mad dreams too. They've become very intense lately

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Same here. And I'm remembering them a lot better too.

Although that may be more to do with having to get up every two hours to go to the loo :(

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭cowlove

I dreamt last night that Jake Quickenden from the X Factor was trying to attack me! ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

cowlove wrote: »
    I dreamt last night that Jake Quickenden from the X Factor was trying to attack me! ha ha

I laughed so hard at this! :D

Having very vivid dreams as well and remembering chunks of them too. Still feeling knackered even though I know I got a good night sleep. Most nights I sleep right through.

Sickness has really eased off (hope it is not a bad sign) for the first time over the weekend I managed three square meals and since then I have been managing dinner every evening which is great!

12 week scan is one week tomorrow! Cant wait until it happens so I can have some reassurance with the sickness suddenly easing and also so we can start telling people.

Dobbit wrote: »
    Ladies. Just a tip for the first appointment (esp if you are a first timer), if you want to do combined care talk to your GP first and make sure they are in the scheme. If you don't, don't put your GP details on the form.

Holles Street assumed I did because like an idiot, if it says fill out a form I fill it out, and today when I called my GP to check if she was in the scheme she wasn't. I called Holles street just now to switch back and after transferring me to every billy and jack in the place who told me to find a new GP (I don't want a new GP, thanks) they finally scheduled my next appointment.

The bloody hassle. They should really say this on the form for dumb newbies like me.

Thanks so much for this tip Dobbit! I was just reading back and I checked with my GP and they are not so I am switching GP to one a friend recommended who is. I wasnt mad on my GP anyway, it was handy for work but not for home so I would have had to have changed anyway (and my new one is closer to home) before the little one arrived. Glad to have it done now and in time to make sure I can go with combined care.

Ms Tootsie wrote: »
    Thanks so much for this tip Dobbit! I was just reading back and I checked with my GP and they are not so I am switching GP to one a friend recommended who is. I wasnt mad on my GP anyway, it was handy for work but not for home so I would have had to have changed anyway (and my new one is closer to home) before the little one arrived. Glad to have it done now and in time to make sure I can go with combined care.

Great! Glad it worked out. My regular GP is on maternity leave so I couldn't go with her and the new one I switched to is great but she isn't in the scheme so I didn't want to have to scour the land for a new one. Part of me is sad I'll have to spend more time in the hospital but at least it's only 10 mins from work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭rachieqtpie

Ladies probably a bit tmi but the last couple of days my left nipple has been really itchy, properly examined it earlier and seems to have a few raised White spots, they are quite sore to touch.Is this normal? Never had it on first baby and too scared to google it? Thanks

Ladies probably a bit tmi but the last couple of days my left nipple has been really itchy, properly examined it earlier and seems to have a few raised White spots, they are quite sore to touch.Is this normal? Never had it on first baby and too scared to google it? Thanks

Hi rachieqtpie i have the exact same thing left nipple also ! Feels like it is stinging me and shooting pains ! As far as i can remember its just your milk ducts getting into gear even at this stage ! Use a warm facecloth or heat pad for relief if its really sore ! Ask your doc on next visit just to be sure hope you feel a better hun !

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭rachieqtpie

Hi rachieqtpie i have the exact same thing left nipple also ! Feels like it is stinging me and shooting pains ! As far as i can remember its just your milk ducts getting into gear even at this stage ! Use a warm facecloth or heat pad for relief if its really sore ! Ask your doc on next visit just to be sure hope you feel a better hun !

Thanks very much, it has eased off now today, but wasn't pleasant!!!:) afraid to google it, was probably likely to be told it was about to fall off or something! Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭chakademus

Hi girls, had my first ante-natal today. Scan was very exciting. We got a really clear picture. Overall we were in the hospital from 9 a.m to 1.00p.m. It was a long morning but relieved everything is going according to plan.

Decided to go with the midwives plan as opposed to the consultants. A couple of friends recommended doing so as there is more consistency with who you deal with etc. Has anyone any experience with either? My mother had a convulsion when I told her, saying I should have stuck with the doctors.

quote="chakademus;94165698"]Hi girls, had my first ante-natal today. Scan was very exciting. We got a really clear picture. Overall we were in the hospital from 9 a.m to 1.00p.m. It was a long morning but relieved everything is going according to plan.

Decided to go with the midwives plan as opposed to the consultants. A couple of friends recommended doing so as there is more consistency with who you deal with etc. Has anyone any experience with either? My mother was have a convulsion when I told her saying I should have stuck with the doctors.[/quote]

I haven't had experience but will be going with midwife led based on advice from friends and a gp.

quote="chakademus;94165698"]Hi girls, had my first ante-natal today. Scan was very exciting. We got a really clear picture. Overall we were in the hospital from 9 a.m to 1.00p.m. It was a long morning but relieved everything is going according to plan.

Decided to go with the midwives plan as opposed to the consultants. A couple of friends recommended doing so as there is more consistency with who you deal with etc. Has anyone any experience with either? My mother was have a convulsion when I told her saying I should have stuck with the doctors.

I haven't had experience but will be going with midwife led based on advice from friends and a gp.[/quote]

Decided to go with the midwives plan as opposed to the consultants. A couple of friends recommended doing so as there is more consistency with who you deal with etc. Has anyone any experience with either? My mother was have a convulsion when I told her saying I should have stuck with the doctors.

I haven't had experience but will be going with midwife led based on advice from friends and a gp.[/quote]

Hi ladies I went with the Dominos on both my last two pregnancies , which is the midwife plan here in the southeast , i found it to be fantastic . You have a number to call at any time if you are worried about anything or need advice . Your appointments are on time as you are meeting the midwife and not Queuing . I really loved being with them but unfortunately due to my babies being very big this time around I am hoping to have an elective as advised by the midwifes on my last birth. I will see how it goes , my scan is this fri coming and i am huge i will be exactly 15 weeks and i look 5 mnths already !

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭emka1984

chakademus wrote: »
    Decided to go with the midwives plan as opposed to the consultants. A couple of friends recommended doing so as there is more consistency with who you deal with etc. Has anyone any experience with either? My mother had a convulsion when I told her, saying I should have stuck with the doctors.

If only I could go with the full domino scheme, I would - have heard LOADS of good stuff about it! Unfortunately I can't, due to an ectopic pregnancy last year. However, am keeping everything crossed for my visit with the consultant in April, where it will be decided if I need to rely on the consultants & the hospital only, or if I can opt for the midwives. I would rather the midwives, again - based on the feedback I had from friends.
    I don't think there's a better and worse option here - it's probably down to your personal needs and beliefs. However, I have heard that when with the midwives, you avoid the queues, you have a much more approachable & personal contact and care & in general, my friends and colleagues can't recommend it enough... So for me it's a no-brainer if I have that option available :)

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭emka1984

I had my first apt in the hospital last Thursday, it was late in the evening (6:30pm) and I was expecting queues, but surprisingly it was quiet enough! I was seen 6:40, cause 2 girls were late for their appointments, LOL

So far so good, surprisingly my sugar levels are fine (that baby is craving sweets!), however I might need to start iron supplements - will be advised by post once my blood results are ready.

We had a wee scan and the baby was looking right at us - such a little alien-like face! :) The husband was delighted to see and hear the heartbeat - I think it finally hit both of us that it's real now! I am finally slowly at ease now, each day is giving me more comfort and assurance that it'll be fine this time round!

Bump is still teeny tiny, but I won't be complaining about that - enjoying it whilst I can! ;-) Planning on some maternity clothes shopping soon.

Spending the whole weekend sending and receiving messages & phonecalls - the news is spreading! Such a joyful time!

Hope everyone else is fine also! I am finally feeling less queasy in the mornings, although I am rather dizzy at times - I guess it's that iron...

• Advertisement

Don't complain about the teeny bump! I was worried last week because mine hadn't grown in a while and and then overnight it jumped out. I look about a month farther along than I really am but I am fairly short so I suspected that might happen!

Anyone flown long haul while pregnant? I've been invited along on a business trip to the US with a colleague. I'll be around 4.5 months at that stage and I've been told it won't reflect badly on me in any way if I refuse (and I know it won't, my boss is good like that) so it's completely my decision.

I want to go because I know it will be good for my job and I usually love traveling for work, plus I've had a fairly easy pregnancy so far so there's no reason medically I can't go (I'd probably go see my GP as well just to be sure) but part of me wonders am I being selfish wanting to go? Are there any risks I'm taking?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭chakademus

Hi ladies I went with the Dominos on both my last two pregnancies , which is the midwife plan here in the southeast , i found it to be fantastic . You have a number to call at any time if you are worried about anything or need advice . Your appointments are on time as you are meeting the midwife and not Queuing . I really loved being with them but unfortunately due to my babies being very big this time around I am hoping to have an elective as advised by the midwifes on my last birth. I will see how it goes , my scan is this fri coming and i am huge i will be exactly 15 weeks and i look 5 mnths already !

Cheers Catchery. I'm happy I've gone for the midwives programme. All account I've heard so far have been very positive.

@Dobbit I am flying tomorrow and have asked the doctor and midwives in the coombe and they didn't seem concerned at all. They both just said to stay well hydrated and walk around. I think with long haul flights they recommend flight socks as well.
    How far as you now? I'm hoping I get an obvious bump soon. still at the awkward stage but I am wearing maternity jeans for comfort

@dobbit flying long haul is fine as long as you are having a stright forward complication free pregnancy. It's only later in the last trimester when it becomes an issue.

I have my first appointment with The Coombe on Wednesday (very excited!!!) any tips on questions to ask? It is my first baby so I am a bit clueless. Also my booking appointment is at 9 but the scan isnt until 10 should I start drinking in the hospital to make sure I have a full bladder? Finally I want to get the NF scan done, do I ask about that in the booking appointment, the scan or afterwards? Thanks so much!

@Dobbit I am flying tomorrow and have asked the doctor and midwives in the coombe and they didn't seem concerned at all. They both just said to stay well hydrated and walk around. I think with long haul flights they recommend flight socks as well.
    How far as you now? I'm hoping I get an obvious bump soon. still at the awkward stage but I am wearing maternity jeans for comfort

I'm 15+2 today. Funny that I think I'm mad obvious but still no one gives me their seat on the train!

I'll definitely invest in the flight socks. Where are you off to tomorrow?

Hi, we've got our first appt in Holles St next week.
    The GP wasn't really very forthcoming with info on booking in, domino scheme etc, so we just went ahead and booked in at the NMH. Does anyone know if we can ask about domino scheme once we're in the hospital, or is it a case of once you're in you're in kind of thing? We've both taken the appt date off work so we don't really want to go messing with changing appointments. We're also unsure if even eligible for domino scheme as my blood pressure may be high (hard to get an accurate read with white coat hypertension).
    My other question is are we going to get a scan at the first hospital visit? Really hoping so, assumed it was a given so we both got the time off, but now it doesn't seem so obvious.

(Mamma Dolla)

Hi, we've got our first appt in Holles St next week.
    The GP wasn't really very forthcoming with info on booking in, domino scheme etc, so we just went ahead and booked in at the NMH. Does anyone know if we can ask about domino scheme once we're in the hospital, or is it a case of once you're in you're in kind of thing? We've both taken the appt date off work so we don't really want to go messing with changing appointments. We're also unsure if even eligible for domino scheme as my blood pressure may be high (hard to get an accurate read with white coat hypertension).
    My other question is are we going to get a scan at the first hospital visit? Really hoping so, assumed it was a given so we both got the time off, but now it doesn't seem so obvious.

(Mamma Dolla)

Hi Mamma Dolla.

At your first appointment in Holles Street you'll be assessed as to your risk level and at that point you'll be able to ask about the Domino scheme or Combined Care. There's a history of BP issues in my family but I'm still low risk so you might be ok. A midwife will have a chat with you about family history and you can ask her at that point. Getting into Domino also depends on where you live so make sure and check the map on the NMH website.

You may get a quick scan or you may not, it really depends on who you have on the day. I got one but they didn't have anything else to talk to me about so there was time to do it. Be aware that it's a conveyor belt in there and (aside from the waiting part) everything will be lightening fast. I advised my OH not to come with me because I knew it would be a waste for him, up to you but there was a lot of bored looking dads in there!

Also legally you are entitled to have paid time off for appointments so you don't need to use your leave for it.

Oh and if you get a scan at your first appointment you don't get any photos. You'll get those at the 20 week or if you get an early private scan, which, if you have private health insurance that covers it, I highly recommend. Was a really nice experience for us as first timers.

It's not even that expensive (around 100 ish), just nicer when VHI pay for stuff :)

Dobbit wrote:
    I'm 15+2 today. Funny that I think I'm mad obvious but still no one gives me their seat on the train!
    yeah that's always the way isn't it.
    I'm in Budapest at the minute. very cold here

@tootsie I was in the coombe last week, all in all I was there for about 2 and a half hours(I'm public). I only start drinking really as I was queuing for the ultrasound as I didn't want to be bursting to pee and it was fine.
    the lady gave me 7 pictures!

• Advertisement

Thanks so much Irishgirl :)

Advertisement