Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2015: General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ricimaki

In other news, F1 is getting new safety and medical cars:
    Mercedes AMG GT S safety car:
    15C168_033-750x501.jpg
    Mercedes C63 S medical car:
    15C167_004-750x501.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Sorry but if he is one of the top journos then that's a sad reflection on what's there.

Yeah, like I said I dont imagine that the substance of this report is true, I can't see Alonso having to retire as a result of this, just saying that because it's Byron I'd be more inclined to believe that it's not just the usual click bait. Don't take one article as a reflection of his abilities as well btw, he's a very good journo with plenty of contacts in the paddock and there's plenty of times when you have to just use sources from other papers/sites like the examples that you've pointed out.

At the end of the day it's pretty clear that something is amiss in this whole situation and until McLaren or Alonso actually make an honest statement showing facts then we'll continue to have a lot of stories like this doing the rounds. You'd be surprised at the amount of times that journos are asked to write these kind of pieces by their editors and put under pressure to sensationalise a story.

I've been put in that position a few times myself and that's what can give rise to stories like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

ricimaki wrote: »
    In other news, F1 is getting new safety and medical cars:
    Mercedes AMG GT S safety car, Mercedes C63 S medical car.

A Renault Clio was used as a safety car in the 1996 Argentine GP (the race where the Ligier of Pedro Diniz went up in flames).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Only a week to go :eek: Cannot wait!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    I remember when a Renault Clio was used as a safety car.

I remember when injured drivers were ferried to hospital in the back of a hiace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Harika

So the not so noisy engines are suddenly no problem anymore? I remember last year this big fuzz especially after and from Australia about this aspect. I wonder how many tickets they have sold this year. Seems like for them there was even a leap in ticket sales. http://richlandf1.com/?p=33596

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Got me a Marussia t-shirt for the new season.

Will ya get the season out of it? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Got me a Marussia t-shirt for the new season.

I didn't think they auctioned their stuff. One less personnel wearing team clothing this weekend. :PAC:

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

I wouldn't bee too surprised to see non pit lane personnel wearing just black

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

astrofluff wrote: »
    I didn't think they auctioned their stuff. One less personnel wearing team clothing this weekend. :PAC:

I've got some ex team stuff from Williams and Jordan personnel from back in the day! And that was when they were rolling in it

I've got some ex team stuff from Williams and Jordan personnel from back in the day! And that was when they were rolling in it

It was said in jest as they auctioned a lot of equipment earlier in the year to pay bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭KarlFitz01

Are the BBC doing a preview show this week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Myrddin wrote: »
    Only a week to go :eek: Cannot wait!
    My sister was kind enough to send me some photos through Viber of the preparations beginning in Melbourne this morning. :cool:

Top Dog wrote: »
    My sister was kind enough to send me some photos through Viber of the preparations beginning in Melbourne this morning. :cool:

Ah sure u may as well share them now

No idea how well this will work as it's the first time I've ever tried posting on here from my phone. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

This Sauber/Van Der Garde clash is going to be fascinating, Dutch sites seemingly saying that he is on his way to Melbourne with his helmet with the intention to drive. This is not the sort of thing a struggling team should have let themselves get into.

This Sauber/Van Der Garde clash is going to be fascinating.
    Maybe its just me, and I'll admit that there probably is something about driving in whats claimed to be the pinnacle of motorsport ... but would you really want to drive for a team who've made it clear that they don't want you there?

Top Dog wrote: »
    Maybe its just me, and I'll admit that there probably is something about driving in whats claimed to be the pinnacle of motorsport ... but would you really want to drive for a team who've made it clear that they don't want you there?

I wouldn't and I'm sure the majority of people wouldn't but the drive, commitment and pure stubbornness to make it to F1 is probably very hard to turn off for these guys. He has got screwed over though and everyone knows it, I think a lot of continuing this for him probably is sticking it to them out of principal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭mad dave

Sure he might drive a GP2 while he is there. Wasnt he 2nd or 3rd in the 2012 season?

KarlFitz01 wrote: »
    Are the BBC doing a preview show this week?

Yes, on Tuesday at 10PM on BBC Red Button.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

This Sauber/Van Der Garde clash is going to be fascinating, Dutch sites seemingly saying that he is on his way to Melbourne with his helmet with the intention to drive. This is not the sort of thing a struggling team should have let themselves get into.

Rumour has it that he will be in the second Manor once an arrangement is made with Sauber.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Can't imagine him actually getting any sort of support if he did end up driving a Sauber.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Sky One are showing the Qualifying live from 5am on Saturday. So if you don,t have Sky Sports F1 like me you can still watch the Qualifying live. There is also a program on Saturday at 4am on Sky One about Mercedes and the teams preparations to get to the race. The F1 show will also be on again at 12pm on Sky One.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Hmm my satellite dish has all but rusted away, signal is breaking all the time with this wind. Got an excuse to install new one now.... Was hoping it will last until May, but think I will go crazy trying to watch the races.

• Advertisement

Sauber's solicitors have said it would be reckless and dangerous to let van der Garde race at this weekends GP.

Desperation from Sauber and it's not a great way to start a season for them. There will be a verdict on Wednesday.

I think some financial settlement will be reached with Sauber paying out a large amount of money to Giedo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Sauber's solicitors have said it would be reckless and dangerous to let van der Garde race at this weekends GP.

Desperation from Sauber and it's not a great way to start a season for them. There will be a verdict on Wednesday.

I think some financial settlement will be reached with Sauber paying out a large amount of money to Giedo.

Seems like they are fairly desperate to keep a good public image, claiming safety this etc.

On another note, the mother just flew to Australia this morning for two months! Wish I was going just to see the GP!

So, is everybodys money on one of the mercedes drivers or is there anybody out there a little more daring :P ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Sneaky fiver on McLaren to complete the race

"It would result in an unacceptable risk of physical harm or even death."

Bullcrap excuse anybody who falls for that is an idiot, its not like

a) He has never driven an F1 car
    b) Or has been out of F1 for 10 years

What do ya mean by that? :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

It will be interesting to see the outcome of this. I would imagine an offer will be made to him to "buy out" the contract but in fairness he could be a total bollox (I probably would but I'm like that lol) and insist on driving and could completely scupper their running at the weekend.

Pretty poor form in fairness considering the problems thay have been having for a number of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

Considering that Sauber thought that dismissing Adrian Sutil via text message was the height of propriety, one can only boggle at their "If we hide under the duvet, it'll all be sorted out somehow, perhaps by magic." approach to being sued.

I mean, they ditch van der Garde for a bigger pay cheque and now find themselves with a strong possibility of having to use said bigger pay cheque to pay off the smaller pay chequed driver they dumped in the first place. And Sutil is suing them as well. Not to mention it's unclear if they used some of vdG's money towards preparing their 2015 car or not. This could be all sorts of fun.

Loosing Sutils missus will be a big loss to the sport this year

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Loosing Sutils missus will be a big loss to the sport this year

Maybe for the director, he'll have to find some other vapid mush to focus on when they should be showing racing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I say ban the director from showing the other half in the pit (very distracting in most cases), and when/if Susie gets to drive we won't have to look at Toto. :pac:

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Think it's about time for the first race thread of the year...

HighLine wrote: »
    Think it's about time for the first race thread of the year...

Well start one mister :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

When are Manor going to announce their 2nd driver or will they look to get away with running just the 1 car?

HigginsJ wrote: »
    When are Manor going to announce their 2nd driver or will they look to get away with running just the 1 car?

Motorsport.com saying it's going to be Merhi.

Well start one mister :)

Ah there are designated souls on here who do a good job at that so I'll eagerly await.

• Advertisement

Briatore (Fernando's manager) ads his thoughts on the crash and he has seen the video....

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/31806850

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

HighLine wrote: »
    Briatore (Fernando's manager) ads his thoughts on the crash and he has seen the video....

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/31806850

I suppose he knows about unusual crashes. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

Van der Garde will race for Sauber as court finds in his favour. Sauber had no case, and haven't opposed the enforcement order. They must provide a race seat, and must allow him to race.

_rebelkid wrote: »
    Van der Garde will race for Sauber as court finds in his favour. Sauber had no case, and haven't opposed the enforcement order. They must provide a race seat, and must allow him to race.

Very interesting this.
    What about the two guys bringing the pile of cash with branding on the car etc.
    Surely all 3 guys now have valid contracts with team.
    A big money settlement for van der garde I'd say.

mickdw wrote: »
    Very interesting this.
    What about the two guys bringing the pile of cash with branding on the car etc.
    Surely all 3 guys now have valid contracts with team.
    A big money settlement for van der garde I'd say.

Court says no. He must be given the seat. Money doesn't cover it according to Australian Law.

_rebelkid wrote: »
    Court says no. He must be given the seat. Money doesn't cover it according to Australian Law.

Surely if he was to agree to a cash settlement , it would cover it.

mickdw wrote: »
    Surely if he was to agree to a cash settlement , it would cover it.

Sauber wouldn't talk to them out of court, and he wants to race. He told the media he's going to race. Sauber can still appeal though.

Can he (with a brown envelope ) be reserve driver? Or is one already in place?

• Advertisement

Can he (with a brown envelope ) be reserve driver? Or is one already in place?

He's racing for them this weekend. Otherwise Sauber are in breach of court order.

Advertisement