Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2015: General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

2764543100000578-0-image-a-130_1428572189110.jpg

Mr.T is racing this weekend, with a quiff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭christy c

kksaints wrote: »
    Vettel I assume. His crash with Webber was the race before in Japan.

Yeah that makes sense. Although I just turned it on when the race had finished and Brundle said Vettel was his driver of the day

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ShaunieVW

What a fail of a post, yes Vettel. Sorry about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,412 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

The gold chain count starting to creep up for Hamilton, will be disappointed if he hasn't got three by Monaco and at least four by Silverstone

10428083_889567251124604_4208215059332901118_n.jpg?oh=7f67855953d5f219108eb63426550a70&oe=55A1B874

Whats going on here?!? Did he borrow that jacket from Tina Turner?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

CCKFe5EWAAAb86C.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Just looking at some interviews there yesterday and i thought Alonso did not look like a healthy man. He is overly thin and didn't seem to have a great colour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

We can't win your game so we're taking our toys and going home. Give me a break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Does Red Bull even have a loyal fan base? I wouldn't miss them for a second. Good riddance.

Does Red Bull even have a loyal fan base? I wouldn't miss them for a second. Good riddance.

Wouldn't think they have a loyal fan base but the sport would miss them. They have the cash to run two teams, and with the way things are going who would replace them?

But as Bernie said "If you're going to point a gun at me, make sure it's loaded".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

christy c wrote: »
    Wouldn't think they have a loyal fan base but the sport would miss them. They have the cash to run two teams, and with the way things are going who would replace them?

But as Bernie said "If you're going to point a gun at me, make sure it's loaded".
    In fairness, Bernie is a pr!ck too though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    In fairness, Bernie is a pr!ck too though.

True, but one who holds all the keys. It's prob best to stay on his good side & not bring negative attention to his kingdom :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

christy c wrote: »

Quite a quote, when and to whom did he say that to?
    I googled but i just got a load of sites on gun safety, followed by this thread...

Quite a quote, when and to whom did he say that to?
    I googled but i just got a load of sites on gun safety, followed by this thread...

It was when Force India and Sauber were threatening to abandon the (US?) Grand prix at the end of last year. Heard it on Sky so just going from memory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,456 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Yup they can feck off, get Eddie to buy one of the teams for next to nothing. Job sorted :pac:

If thats Eddie Jordan your talking about I doubt he would be interested too much stress and pressure. He has been there done that why would he do it again. Besides times have changed since he had his Jordan team. For 1 sponsership is a lot harder to get so keeping your team funded is harder unless you want to go down the pay driver route and even with two drivers bringing money to your team you are still going to need more money. F1 was not cheap then and its a whole lot more costly now especially with the new more complicated power units.

Ye all the people who drink Red Bull lol they just don,t realise it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Myrddin wrote: »
    True, but one who holds all the keys. It's prob best to stay on his good side & not bring negative attention to his kingdom :o

Any suggestions ?
    Who would you like in his place? Really - who?
    Jean todd? Flavio?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Formula spy posted a link to this on twitter.. Had to post it here
    http://t.co/BLzE69TPoE

jzaCVK6.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Still no change in Bianchi's condition. I don't really know if that's good news or bad news :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/32285478

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

I had reasonably high hopes for Rosberg to bring the fight to Hamilton this season, but so far Ive been disappointed with him.
    I thought the defeat in Abu Dhabi last year would strengthen him but instead it seems like Hamilton has taken a further chunk out of his armour.
    Im particularly not impressed with his car-to-pit radio discussions, its showing serious weakness e.g "Talk to me about the race" "So If Vettel passes me, is that it?". I just wish hed shut up and just give Hamilton something to think about, maybe even throw one down the inside, just to let him know hes not gone away.
    Button is similarly naff on his radio discussions, but I wont go into that here.

The whole argument about Hamilton slowing him down in China really made me shake my head. He should have swallowed it and vowed to be stronger next time instead of looking like a whinger. Ferrari are close but will only win 2 or 3 in the season. Its up to Rosberg to make this a spectacle but his negative mentality right this minute is worrying.
    He needs to make a clean pass on Hamilton, to give him confidence and rattle Lewis. Think of Massa's gutsy move around the outside of Hamiltonian in Hungary 2008 into turn one for inspiration.
    COME ON NICO, you're our only hope to make this a scrap this year.
    Find that extra tenth and layeth the Smacketh down for once on that jabroni...

I think rosberg needs to qualify in front and then Play hardball to the point of taking them both off if Hamilton attempts a pass.

Rosberg just doesn't have the raw one lap pace that Hamilton has, its almost innate in Hamilton.

There really wasn't much between them in Qualifying last week, so hopefully Nico can find that bit extra

Still early days and a DNF or some other issue for Hamilton could switch the championship positions around

Hopefully any bad luck doesn't hit Nico though letting Lewis get too far ahead

Just looking at there qualifying last year Nico had his first pole of the year in Bahrain, and in the tracks we've been to so far this year did no better than 3rd last year
    Driver Average AUS MAL BAH CHI SPA MON CAN AUS BRI GER HUN BEL ITA SIN JAP RUS UNI BRA ABU
    Nico Rosberg 1.68 3 3 1 4 2 1 1 3 1 1 1 1 2 2 1 2 1 1 1
    Lewis Hamilton 4.21 1 1 2 1 1 2 2 9 6 20 22 2 1 1 2 1 2 2 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

The whole argument about Hamilton slowing him down in China really made me shake my head. He should have swallowed it and vowed to be stronger next time instead of looking like a whinger. Ferrari are close but will only win 2 or 3 in the season. Its up to Rosberg to make this a spectacle but his negative mentality right this minute is worrying.
    He needs to make a clean pass on Hamilton, to give him confidence and rattle Lewis. Think of Massa's gutsy move around the outside of Hamiltonian in Hungary 2008 into turn one for inspiration.
    COME ON NICO, you're our only hope to make this a scrap this year.
    Find that extra tenth and layeth the Smacketh down for once on that jabroni...

As far as I am aware Nico Didn't pass Lewis on the road once last season, that situation doesn't look like changing any time soon.
    mickdw wrote: »
    I think rosberg needs to qualify in front and then Play hardball to the point of taking them both off if Hamilton attempts a pass.

That would be pretty silly, he tried something similar in Spa last year and look how that turned out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Bernie Ecclestone calls for 1000bhp V8 engines for Formula 1

Amen to that! Would love to see the back of these horrid sounding "power units". Now if we could bring back refueling and take away some more aero then it really would be perfect! Or of course bring back the V10... but that's dreaming a little too much :D

As far as I am aware Nico Didn't pass Lewis on the road once last season, that situation doesn't look like changing any time soon.

That would be pretty silly, he tried something similar in Spa last year and look how that turned out.

Well he was behind in that instance but I certainly think he needed to do that or else Hamilton would have known he could Just swat him aside. Didn't end well for Rosberg in the end but that was more to do with the team handling of it that anything else.
    If he is in front, he should make it known that he will slam the door shut at each opportunity even to the point of coming together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,361 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Sorry Nico fans but hehehe

11128857_10202794436700658_8937704093175515329_n.jpg?oh=f267bf5e847a55b81bece52c43777da6&oe=55A6123F

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

OSI wrote: »
    I'm also convinced all this posturing from Bernie is just to save face. He knows well F1 won't be going back to V8s any time soon. Far far far too much money already invested in the current engines for the manufacturers to be anything but utterly pissed at having to start again, and I couldn't see them hanging around.

I don't think it's to save face, everything Bernie says is a means to an end. He is suggesting a slightly outlandish solution to maneuver the engine manufacturers into compromising to a more reasonable solution. I think the most likely future engine formula will be staying with the V6 hybrids but increasing the 100kg max fuel, max fuel flow limits and rev limits. This would keep the manufacturers happy and give Bernie his 1000bhp and engine noise.

Ms

Anyone know if the BBC are showing Free Practice 1 live. Don,t seem to be showing it live on either channel. They only have from Free Practice 2 on.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Would it be available on the red button?

Ms

Does not seem to be I looked it up on the red button but nothing about it maybe its on the BBC website.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭Vic_08

AMKC wrote: »
    Does not seem to be I looked it up on the red button but nothing about it maybe its on the BBC website.

FP 1 Live 11.55-13.35 Red Button 1.

FP1 replay 20.15-21.55, 21.55-23.45, 06.30-08.10 Sat.

SD only of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

I was wondering, which is the best Free Practice Session to watch, if you can only watch one? I've started watching F1 again this years after years away from it, and so far I've seen every qualifying session and race, but have been very hit and miss with the practice sessions.

I have a young daughter so the only way I can watch is recording them and then watching at night, and there just isn't enough time over the three evenings to watch 3 practice sessions, qualifying and the race. So, if you had to choose, which would you watch? The first one to get a sense of what's happened in F1 since the last race and how the teams are looking, or the second or third one to get a better sense of how the cars are looking for the upcoming race?

Thanks...

J.

• Advertisement

jasonb wrote: »
    I was wondering, which is the best Free Practice Session to watch, if you can only watch one? I've started watching F1 again this years after years away from it, and so far I've seen every qualifying session and race, but have been very hit and miss with the practice sessions.

I have a young daughter so the only way I can watch is recording them and then watching at night, and there just isn't enough time over the three evenings to watch 3 practice sessions, qualifying and the race. So, if you had to choose, which would you watch? The first one to get a sense of what's happened in F1 since the last race and how the teams are looking, or the second or third one to get a better sense of how the cars are looking for the upcoming race?

Thanks...

J.

I find none of them great to be honest. They're ok to have on in the background but wouldn't be glued to them

Thanks...

J.

I'm not sure it matters too much, maybe P2, will cover all the same news from P1 and you get a mix of long runs with some faster runs towards the end of the session and usually a bit more action

I sometimes find myself fast forwarding through recordings of practice sessions, try and pick out a few highlights or scan for any interesting discussion

Just watch practice 3. It's a bit more interesting cause it is close to quali so a big accident or engine change could mean trouble in terms of being ready for quali.
    Anything exciting from the earlier sessions will be talked about anyway and replayed over and over.
    You could also have a quick look at the start of p1. Any new scandals will be discussed there.

Thanks for your replies.. I think I'll probably go with P2. I found it a lot more interesting than P1, and after thinking about it I realised that it's hard for me to watch P3 (as it's the same day as Qualifying and I don't have time for both) so it's really a choice between P1 and P2 and then qualifying.

Thanks...

J.

Another newbie question...

Can someone explain the tyre rules for a race weekend? Like how many different sets they have, when they can and can't use them, what decides which ones they have to use in the race etc.

And why do they call faster sector times 'purple sectors'? The faster times come up in green, and slower times in yellow, so why purple?

Thanks...

J.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,693 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Green is the driver's personal best sector time. Purple sector means fastest sector time anyone has set. The overall lap time in green also means personal best, and purple means best out of all drivers.

As for the tyres, someone else might weigh in. For what I know the top 10 start on the tyres they set their fastest lap in Q2.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Another newbie question...

Can someone explain the tyre rules for a race weekend? Like how many different sets they have, when they can and can't use them, what decides which ones they have to use in the race etc.

And why do they call faster sector times 'purple sectors'? The faster times come up in green, and slower times in yellow, so why purple?

Thanks...

J.

The fastest sectors show up purple on all the real timing screens that the teams and commentators use. They get a whole timing screen with each driver and the lap split into the 3 sectors. We don't get that on tv in that format but is available from f1 website I believe.
    Re the tyres, the tyre supplier pirelli has 4 type of tyre compound for dry race. Super soft, soft, medium and hard. They bring 2 of these to each race depending on what they think suits the track surface etc.
    These 2 at any given race will be referred to as the prime and option tyre or soft and hard tyre.
    The drivers must use both compounds at least once during the race if it's a dry race. The harder tyre usually being slower and more long lasting.
    To further complicate things, the driver must start the race on the tyres that he set his best time in q2 of quali so he must keep them in good shape.
    There are also intermediate tyre and full wet tyres for wet conditions. The rule about using both hard and soft doesn't apply if wet race.
    I'm not sure on the number of dry tyres they have for the weekend, possibly 7 sets but they now get an additional set for use early in practice 1 and if not used within that period, it I s returned. This is to encourage people to leave the garage early to help the show I believe.
    If a driver starts outside top ten or from pitlane, they can start on any tyre.

Now someone else can explain engine tokens as that is not complicated at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭Infoanon

The fastest sectors show up purple on all the real timing screens that the teams and commentators use. They get a whole timing screen with each driver and the lap split into the 3 sectors. We don't get that on tv in that format but is available from f1 website I believe. .

Yes that is correct - I don't understand the logic in not showing that graphic on the tv screens,they do on motogp and it really adds to the viewers experience.

Alas F1 treats the viewer with contempt imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭racersedge

Infoanon wrote: »

Thats because we aren't old geezers wearing Rolex watches who are content to just accept the product given to us.

Infoanon wrote: »
    Yes that is correct - I don't understand the logic in not showing that graphic on the tv screens,they do on motogp and it really adds to the viewers experience.

It's money, pure and simple. Live timing app costs something like €30, or €3/month.

I used to watch races with my laptop on the timing screen, but they removed it from their site a year or two ago.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

These 2 at any given race will be referred to as the prime and option tyre or soft and hard tyre....

That should be the other way around I think, the prime tyre is the harder of the two sets. Option is the softer. :)

Wow, that's not needlessly complicated at all! :)

Thanks for all your answers, I appreciate it. It's a pity the commentators see a different timing screen to us, I thought I was going slightly mad when they kept talking about purple sectors and all I could see were green times! :)

J.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,693 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

The free live timing on F1.com gives you overall lap time in the relevant colours. There are sector dots in colours but unfortunately it does not give a figure to show you how much quicker it is. The free live timing is good if you want basic info while watching the sessions as the TV graphics won't display the lap time information you want at any given time.

I had the app last year and there was tonnes of info on it - I didn't utilise it to its full potential as I am more interested in what is happening on screen!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    That should be the other way around I think, the prime tyre is the harder of the two sets. Option is the softer. :)

Ya, you are right. Even Rob Smedley needs a big flash card on the pit wall to help him get that right.

• Advertisement
Advertisement