Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2015: General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

I reckon a mechanical issue or start line incident is a good bet to decide the championship this year, Merc have been fairly bulletproof but a whole season without a single problem is a big ask. As close as they are the 4 extra race wins needed to overcome a DNF would be a tall order for either Rosberg or Hamilton, especially as neither has seemed capable of mounting a race-day challenge on the other in this year's car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

A comparison of the current and the old...

24E2D86D00000578-2921981-Adventurous_Lewis_certainly_isn_t_afraid_to_experiment_in_the_st-m-18_1421983083339.jpg

james-hunt-monaco.jpg

sHtFWHg.jpg

*joking of course, just taking the piss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I see Mark Webber has an autobiography coming out, 'Aussie Grit'. Should make for an interesting read, will definitely pick that up - http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/book-review-mark-webber-aussie-grit/

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    That will be an epic read, his honesty was refreshing in the paddock. Cant wait to see what actually happened in RB.

Exactly. From the little snippets I've read on the net, it seems like it's going to be incredibly interesting. One little snippet was Vettel's lawyer sending RB a letter after the Multi-21 incident, claiming they were in breach of his contract by issuing unreasonable orders - can you imagine the field day the anti-Lewis folks would have with that if it were him!?

If anything, it will likely serve to highlight a very unseen world of F1, one, we never ever see or hear about.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

Myrddin wrote: »

If anything, it will likely serve to highlight a very unseen world of F1, one, we never ever see or hear about.

Too true. I remember, some years ago now, reading some business article. It had nothing to do with F1 - apart from a throwaway comment about the person who was being interviewed saying how the once approached an F1 team, sometime in the 1980's about sponsoring them. The team wasn't mentioned by name but it was one of the 'Established' ones - anyways the team ripped off the individual and made off with the million or more in money. When they tried to do something about it, the entire paddock ganged up on them and threw them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

There is an article on motorsport.com about fast tracking changes in F1 for next year. New tyre rules and a clampdown of drivers aids are being talked about at a strategy group meeting today.

Launch control too, that seriously needs to go. Let the driver either ace or fluff the start, take all the sensors & programming out of the equation.

^ not launch control, think that's already banned? More so computer aided starts I was referring to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Hamilton giving people another reason to hate him just before his home gp

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/24181/9900218/lewis-hamilton-unimpressed-by-f1s-lack-of-silverware
    Lewis Hamilton has urged F1 to improve the look of its trophies after labelling the current designs "terrible".

After winning last year's British Grand Prix, the Mercedes driver complained on the podium about the title sponsor-inspired design: "Where's the gold trophy?" Hamilton remarked in reference to the more famous prize that has traditional been awarded to Silverstone race winners. "This one is falling apart." He later joked that the new trophy "must have cost £10".

Ahead of his return to Silverstone for his home race this weekend, Hamilton has renewed his calls for more befitting designs for F1, revealing he had even taken his complaints to Bernie Ecclestone.

"We just need to make better trophies - it's shocking how bad the trophies are," the world champion was quoted as saying by The Daily Telegraph. "The trophies are as good as... at go kart level, it was really bad.

"Formula Renault was just little boxes with a car in the middle. Formula Three was good, and at the beginning of my Formula 1 career, the trophies were really good. But now they are just terrible, man. They are so bad. I told Bernie and he got the trophy guy in the room and I just said, 'you know'."

Hamilton, who was eventually presented with the British GP's golden winner's trophy in the post-race press conference, has seen his trophy cabinet swell in the last 18 months, with 15 race wins alone. Indeed, the Briton has finished on the podium in each of the last 15 races, four short of Michael Schumacher's all-time record.

"That is the only trophy there is for Silverstone," Hamilton added. "Last year, they gave me this plastic thing and I'm like, 'This is not the trophy, it's like a GP2 trophy, not the Formula 1 trophy.'

"The gold one is really special. It would be great if each country had a real trophy like that, with character that grew over the years because of the history. I don't know why they don't make them the same any more."

If you cut through the newspaper crap, what he's essentially saying is:

"It'd be great if each country had a gold trophy that became a figure of desire because of its history and character. The trophies today are just empty gestures, and don't really represent anything."

That's what I took from it anyway? Is he getting at something like the snooker trophy in the crucible, where the winner every year gets his name scribed on it & it's the same trophy that the sports legends lifted years ago? That thing just oozes with history and character. Surely he means that, & not simply wanting better trophies? The trophies makes up essentially none of the enjoyment factor F1 gives its audience!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Whilst I'm far from a Lewis fan... I agree with the point he was trying to put across above. The Silverstone trophy was a joke last year... the sponsor dictated that they wanted their own branded trophy and the traditional and historic trophy was cast to the sidelines.

When you think of the likes of the Claret Jug in golf for The Open... massive history with it and tradition. F1 should be the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    There is an article on motorsport.com about fast tracking changes in F1 for next year. New tyre rules and a clampdown of drivers aids are being talked about at a strategy group meeting today.

Unfortunately it sounds like more hot air from the strategy group - where they not disbanding a few weeks ago !

There's a constant flow of non stories these days sadly reflecting how poor the racing has been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Trophies should be big and bad ass mfs. Something that they all want to fight for to get. Not some "artistic" wooden thing they all got in Austria...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

The most high profile race in f1 is Monaco and you get either a giant silver vase or what looks like a giant stencil of the track for winning it. The Indy 500 trophy is absolutely awesome, it's up there with the best trophys in sports http://www.totalprosports.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/3-borg-warner-trophy-indy-500-kanaan-greatest-trophies-in-sports.jpg

I'm not a fan of Hamilton but he has a point

Lol, that's some bloody trophy ^^ :eek::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

95 British Grand Prix just about to start on Sky F1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

.... The Indy 500 trophy is absolutely awesome, it's up there with the best trophys in sports http://www.totalprosports.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/3-borg-warner-trophy-indy-500-kanaan-greatest-trophies-in-sports.jpg
    'merica!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Maybe he'd like if they gave a diamond encrusted tooth. Jesus the design of the trophy is about the least important aspect of the weekend for a racing fan. I don't want to know anything about any of them once they step out of the car. Improving F1 is only about the racing. Why not get Eddie Jordan to dress like a clown and say ridiculous things while having a toit pants competition with David coulthard... oh wait.

I know they have to make hay once a fortnight but the standard of coverage is terrible because they actually think they can improve the show by making it longer. It's like 24 hour news. Trophy design is similar rubbish.

Racing or GTFO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Just watched the '95 British GP on Sky. 20 years ago, I feel old now. Barrichello was the youngest driver in the race at 23 years old, it's amazing how much the average age has come down in the last decade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I'd make a point of disagreeing with anything hamilton says but I'd agree with him here. That thing he got in silverstone last year was a joke. Presenting a branded piece of crap in place of a famous piece is a disgrace.
    Other than that, they are general pretty substantial pieces.

Maybe Lewis should just be boring and never say or do anything out of the ordinary. Every time he opens his mouth it invariably leads to derision. Would be much better if we had 20 bland robots driving the cars who tow the company line and have all the personality of a box of cereal.

I'm not a major fan, but I think he's an excellent driver. Each to their own and all that but the constant knocking of LH does get rather boring and old.

Was on the phone at the time so didn't post an opinion - but I'd agree in principal as well. What I meant by giving people another reason to hate him, as has been pointed out, is the fans don't really care so it just comes across as whinging.

This yoke looks like it's made of play-doh, not the winners trophy for the pinnacle of motorsport:

article-2682250-1F6E1ED100000578-622_634x408.jpg

I have to say, I do like the idea behind the monaco (track shaped) style trophies. Making them out of "locally sourced wood" is taking the piss a little, despite the gesture behind it.

Huh, that's one butt ugly "trophy"....

Maybe Lewis should just be boring and never say or do anything out of the ordinary. Every time he opens his mouth it invariably leads to derision. Would be much better if we had 20 bland robots driving the cars who tow the company line and have all the personality of a box of cereal.

I'm not a major fan, but I think he's an excellent driver. Each to their own and all that but the constant knocking of LH does get rather boring and old.

Or say it with a Finnish accent (because thats so cool)...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Manor with a new sponsor.
    CI7HXf9WcAAiHEE.jpg:large

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Manor with a new sponsor.
    CI7HXf9WcAAiHEE.jpg:large
    The red and blue reminds me of Footwork Arrows in the mid 90's.

I'm delighted for them. If you want to improve F1 the solution probably is something to do with making it more competitive (I promise you its nothing to do with the trophies).

Bernie wants rid of the small teams but I think it would be better if they could genuinely compete with the midfield and the midfield could compete with the front.

Budget control is the solution you won't hearr the (front) teams talk about but it's probably the thing that would make it more interesting for a racing fan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

I'm delighted for them. If you want to improve F1 the solution probably is something to do with making it more competitive (I promise you its nothing to do with the trophies).

Bernie wants rid of the small teams but I think it would be better if they could genuinely compete with the midfield and the midfield could compete with the front.

Budget control is the solution you won't heard the (front) teams talk about but it's probably the thing that would make it more interesting for a racing fan
    And it's also the most unlikely ever to be agreed upon or ever be enforceable.

And it's also the most unlikely to be agreed upon or ever be enforceable.

Yes I agree. Without it we might as well give in and start caring about how Hamilton spends his weekends, which brand of undies he's wearing and what he thinks about the style of trophies avaliable.

The racing needs to become more competitive. Cost control or bring the back teams to the middle/front by artificial means.

Bernie doesn't care about the medium to long-future of the sport because he doesn't have a medium to long-term future. The vile little man couldn't care less if the whole sport dies the day after he does.

Sad but he's using F1 as a plaything and it could be more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭tigerboon

Yes I agree. Without it we might as well give in and start caring about how Hamilton spends his weekends, which brand of undies he's wearing and what he thinks about the style of trophies avaliable.

The racing needs to become more competitive. Cost control or bring the back teams to the middle/front by artificial means.

Bernie doesn't care about the medium to long-future of the sport because he doesn't have a medium to long-term future. The vile little man couldn't care less if the whole sport dies the day after he does.

Sad but he's using F1 as a plaything and it could be more

WEC is doing what F1 should be doing. Big car manufacturers, innovative technology, tight racing and rules that encourages all of these. Bernie may want the small teams gone but he's hardly attracting big names in. When was the last time there was a great race between drivers of different teams? There was a time when even qualifying was good to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Increased restrictions on driver aids and coaching over the radio will be implemented at the Belgian Grand Prix this year. Article about it here.

Excellent!

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    Increased restrictions on driver aids and coaching over the radio will be implemented at the Belgian Grand Prix this year. Article about it here.

Excellent!
    Furthermore, it was agreed to allow an extra power unit per driver in the first year to any new manufacturer entering the championship and, for the sake of fairness, the measure will apply retroactively to Honda for the 2015 season.

Without any allowance for extra development though, McLaren are still in the shít

Some positive moves. Driver aids and coaching. Fair play to them.

If they have free choice of tyre will they develop the car to suit one particular tyre and stick to that? Not necessarily a bad thing.

Engine noise is a complete joke. I keep hearing commentators talk about how much the fans hate the new engine noise but I've never heard a fan who gives a toss. Does anyone here care about engine noise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Just one quick thing about 'trophy-gate'! :) This isn't Lewis bashing or anything like that, but if he was so disappointed with the trophy, and if it looked so bad (and in my opinion it does) then why is he kissing the bloody thing? Or is that something Hamilton always does if he wins (like Vettel's finger)?

J.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Harika

jasonb wrote: »
    Just one quick thing about 'trophy-gate'! :) This isn't Lewis bashing or anything like that, but if he was so disappointed with the trophy, and if it looked so bad (and in my opinion it does) then why is he kissing the bloody thing? Or is that something Hamilton always does if he wins (like Vettel's finger)?

J.

He is doing it for the sponsors, as they like to have fancy pictures to sell. Years ago they showed Norbert Haug in his office and behind him was a picture of Mika Hakkinen rubbing the Mercedes Star of his McLaren after a victory. So it means a lot to the sponsors if they are valued and it can be seen. Lewis knows what he is expected to do in terms of pr.

OSI wrote: »
    Yes. I have very evocative memories from my childhood of screaming v10s and v8s and that would burst the ear drums off you and could be felt deep in your chest. I've seen a number of F1 cars in motion, including the old V8s, V10s and the new V6s. I most recently remember when Jenson Button came to Dublin for the Bavaria thing, and he did some burnouts and hard revving right in front of us, I could literally feel the noise in my lungs. The new engines don't do that, and it's a big part of the emotion that feels missing.

Yep was standing a fews meters from button in dublin and the noise was just fantastic. Impossible to describe. The noise would kind of hit you as opposed to just hearing it.
    Everyone around me that day, including older women etc just burst out laughing at the lunacy of the noise.
    So yes, the current f1 is a joke in terms of noise.

Maybe I'm wrong about the noise then. I couldn't give a monkeys about the noise. I want to hear the commentators anyway so it makes no real difference to me.

Maybe I if you're watching a car do tricks on a street, noise matters. I just care about the racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Yes. I have very evocative memories from my childhood of screaming v10s and v8s and that would burst the ear drums off you and could be felt deep in your chest. I've seen a number of F1 cars in motion, including the old V8s, V10s and the new V6s. I most recently remember when Jenson Button came to Dublin for the Bavaria thing, and he did some burnouts and hard revving right in front of us, I could literally feel the noise in my lungs. The new engines don't do that, and it's a big part of the emotion that feels missing.
    mickdw wrote: »
    Yep was standing a fews meters from button in dublin and the noise was just fantastic. Impossible to describe. The noise would kind of hit you as opposed to just hearing it.
    Everyone around me that day, including older women etc just burst out laughing at the lunacy of the noise.
    So yes, the current f1 is a joke in terms of noise.

As someone who hasn't been up close with any of the current F1 cars and can only judge from the tv, what is it like being around one of the current models?

I know they aren't as loud as before but surely they are still very loud, is the feeling that bad in comparison than before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Maybe I'm wrong about the noise then. I couldn't give a monkeys about the noise. I want to hear the commentators anyway so it makes no real difference to me.

Maybe I if you're watching a car do tricks on a street, noise matters. I just care about the racing.

I would be of similar opinion in that the noise, or lack of it, is not an issue to me - but I have never been to a GP and likely never will be - i'm an armchair fan so the sound is of smaller importance. I accept that my opinion is weighed against the argument being made for greater noise and I accept that my opinion should hold basically no weight itself. I would say the hardcore or regular GP goers would be of a very different opinion because the noise is part of the spectacle of F1, or was - the thunderous noise of 20 cars launching off at the start would have been a highlight of the weekend, and that seems like it has been lost.

Increasing the noise could only benefit the sport - race goers are happier and if armchair fans are finding it difficult to hear commentary I imagine it will be quickly sorted through sound filtering as required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

You've obviously never been to a race with the old engines then. If you were you would not have the same thoughts about engine noise.
    I was in Hungary in 2003 (to see Shumacher).

Noise matters, that's all I'll say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

No British Grand Prix thread? Anyway P1 is on now on Red Button on BBC.

cadaliac wrote: »
    You've obviously never been to a race with the old engines then. If you were you would not have the same thoughts about engine noise.
    I was in Hungary in 2003 (to see Shumacher).

Noise matters, that's all I'll say.

Ah no that's not true. I was at Malaysia 1999 and Silverstone last year. There is definitely a difference in the noise but it's immaterial to the sport overall.

The old noise is of the past. The new noise is a sign of advancement and improving technology. Sometimes F1 likes to spend so much time talking about the past and how magnificent and significant it was, that it forgets about the future. F1 is great because it pushes technology and paves the way for the more powerful, efficient, precise, reliable, smaller, quieter, faster future technoogy. Making it artificially louder simply because it used to be louder, is retrograde naval gazing (IMHO).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

I agree with you, the noise is irrelevant, what matters is that we have good close racing and plenty of competitive teams. Not a 3 or 4 tier grid like we seem to have.

Hello Lewis, how was your holiday?

Lewis Hamilton was asked why he skipped the last test in a BBC interview. He said it was for a doctor's visit and personal reasons.

In light of this I take back some of the things I previously mentioned about him being complacent and enjoying the celebrity life and not concentrating on his sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I was at that too it was June 3rd 2012. There was talks about it happening for a few more years but they have never done it since as far as I know. Was some noise out of them cars you could feel it in the air. Not sure the new ones would have the same impact.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    I was at that too it was June 3rd 2012. There was talks about it happening for a few more years but they have never done it since as far as I know. Was some noise out of them cars you could feel it in the air. Not sure the new ones would have the same impact.

If you went to any street display today it would still be the old cars doing the display.

No FP2 coverage today, Tennis on BBC1, BBC2 AND Setanta! And rather than Setanta replaying FP2 a little later on, they decided it would be better to show an old Conor McGregor fight, and then highlights of the tennis they've been showing half the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,585 ✭✭✭weisses

About the noise

pathetic the way it is now TBH

• Advertisement

Myrddin wrote: »
    No FP2 coverage today, Tennis on BBC1, BBC2 AND Setanta! And rather than Setanta replaying FP2 a little later on, they decided it would be better to show an old Conor McGregor fight, and then highlights of the tennis they've been showing half the day.

BBC Red Button now.

Advertisement