Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2015: General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

2003 Minardi I'd say. It was his last F1 drive

Ah, cool. The TR looks far better under braking & cornering, naturally enough given the downforce differential. Still, the Minardi looks quick in a line...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Myrddin wrote: »
    Ah, cool. The TR looks far better under braking & cornering, naturally enough given the downforce differential. Still, the Minardi looks quick in a line...
    Actually 2001, the front wing and airbox are slightly different. Really clean lines on that car

Actually 2001, the front wing and airbox are slightly different. Really clean lines on that car

Aye, nice looking F1 car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Option running out>, does'nt mean Kimi is leaving. Ferrari makes the call.

Will probably wait till Monza and get the extra PR, but they would be making a mistake to let Kimi go, after all he turned Lotus into winners again.

When Kimi is 'ON' he coult (still) beat any of the topline GP Drivers. Huge asset to have in second car. They should keep him even if only for a year.

Bottas/ Heidfield makes sense, Ricky's much more of a risk.

*** plus F1 will become v boring without the 'Iceman' :D

The 2010 did just fine without him if memory serves.

I see him staying for one more year, but his second stint with Ferrari hasn't been the best. He was at sea last year and Vettel has his number this year. They could well get Bottas for cheaper and be every bit as good for 2016.

The issue with Kimi is that all the stars need to align for him to be as good as he can be, he really suffers when the car is even slightly out of sync for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

McLaren MP4-30 noses:

McLaren-Honda-MP4-30-Technik-Piola-Animation-Formel-1-2015-fotoshowBigImage-ac4502b7-886037.jpg

The nose on the left was used up to and including the Canadian GP. The nose on the right was used from the Austrian GP.

• Advertisement

I really wish they would fix the regulation to stop these kinds of noses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭christy c

What track are the two Verstappens on?

christy c wrote: »
    What track are the two Verstappens on?

Zandvoort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

Gintonious wrote: »
    I really wish they would fix the regulation to stop these kinds of noses.

I would be of the opposite opinion. It annoys me when the FIA change the rules because they don't like the aesthetics of the cars.
    To improve safety, fine. To reduce downforce also okay. So the cars can look pretty for TV, Bulsh!t!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭tigerboon

They must be putting that gas in Button's car as well

• Advertisement

Jenson & Jessica were gassed/robbed - http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-33814823 - Must be a horrible feeling all the same :(

Hard to see it alright...looking forward to silly season this year :D

And most importantly, I look forward to hearing EJ's thoughts about who'll be where for next season.

I think someone should set up a silly season thread for fun too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Jenson & Jessica were gassed/robbed - http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-33814823 - Must be a horrible feeling all the same :(

Not a nice thing to have happen to anyone. I hope whoever robbed them gets caught and that they get the engagement ring back. Goes to show do that even the rich are not safe from being robbed on holidays even in a posh resort like the one that they were in.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    Not a nice thing to have happen to anyone. I hope whoever robbed them gets caught and that they get the engagement ring back. Goes to show do that even the rich are not safe from being robbed on holidays even in a posh resort like the one that they were in.

The thoughts of some numpty filling rooms with aesthetic gas just to rob you is terrifying...too much & you're toast!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

The gassing part is all hearsay. The robbery sounds bad but I the rest of the story is unsubstantiated rumours.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

recyclebin wrote: »
    The gassing part is all hearsay. The robbery sounds bad but I the rest of the story is unsubstantiated rumours.

I read that they are assuming they were, apparently in that area they were staying there have been a few cases recently of people being gased from the air vents before being robbed.

Stealing the engagement ring has to be very tough for them too. At least no one was hurt but terrible ordeal.

Old and new layout of the Mexico City track:

x1426687357Old_Track.New_Track_Pic.jpg

Turns 7 through 11 look to have been badly neutered, while 12 through 15 have just been removed :rolleyes:

Turns 7 through 11 look to have been badly neutered, while 12 through 15 have just been removed :rolleyes:

Turns 12-16 go through a baseball stadium so no full use of the Peraltada which is a damn shame. I'm not happy with what they did to the esses at all.

When I heard that the Mexico City track was returning to F1, I was very happy. But now I just feel lukewarm about it.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    What did you expect in all fairness? You'd be silly to think it was going to stay like the old track. The old track was tiny in places!

I think they should have left the original esses untouched. And I also knew that the track would go through the baseball stadium and come out in the second part of Peraltada due to run-off problems.

I would have 'liked' if they could have raced around Peraltada, but I 'knew' it wouldn't have happened.

• Advertisement
    Ms

http://formulaspy.com/formula-1/formula-1-news/1997-f1-champ-jacques-villeneuve-joins-venturi-formula-e-17

I think Formula-e is more a young drivers sport myself. Wonder where Nick Heidfield is of to now. He was very unlucky last year.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

http://formulaspy.com/formula-1/formula-1-news/vandoorne-join-mclaren-17383

Don,t know how true this is. Would prefer to see Jenson stay in F1 do wherever that may be.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Jacques is right though, you never really loose it. I have seen guys in there 50/60's whupping young lads around a track. Sure the young lads have no fear but the experience you get with years/decades of racing is really useful.

At the highest levels though, I don't think that holds true so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Slightly odd story, Fangios body exhumed to do paternity tests to determine if one of two men in their seventies is his son

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3190505/Formula-One-legend-Juan-Manuel-Fangio-s-body-exhumed-bid-determine-two-men-seventies-sons.html

I would disagree to an extent, look at LeMans I'd vouch a lot of the top guys are probably not exactly spring chickens. Tom Kristensen was winning in his 40's.

Another anomaly was Schumi in 2012 at Monaco...arguably the toughest most technical bit of driving on the calender, & in his 40's he went fastest on the Saturday. I know this was an exception rather than the rule for Shumi on his return, but I think it is significant given the nature of the Monaco track.

I would disagree to an extent, look at LeMans I'd vouch a lot of the top guys are probably not exactly spring chickens. Tom Kristensen was winning in his 40's.

But open cockpit seems to be a younger mans game. After all everyone seems to be finished in f1 at mid 30s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

mickdw wrote: »
    But open cockpit seems to be a younger mans game. After all everyone seems to be finished in f1 at mid 30s.

Motivation probably plays a part in that though, most of the guys who are still there in their mid thirties have been doing it for 10 or 15 years and doing something as demanding as F1 for that long has to take it's toll.

I know I'm going off topic but I do like this:

Evolution%2BOf%2BJordan%2BF1%2BTeam%2B-%2BDie%2BHard%2BF1%2BFan.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭F1 fanatic

Think my favorite was the Buzzin Hornets livery.

• Advertisement

F1 fanatic wrote: »
    Think my favorite was the Buzzin Hornets livery.

The livery on the Jordan 191 is still my favourite. Plain and simple and easy on the eye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    The livery on the Jordan 191 is still my favourite. Plain and simple and easy on the eye.

Not that you're biased or anything ;-)

Tea 1000 wrote: »

Very interesting, cheers for that. This bit especially:
    "Recently, the most incredible F1 car was the 2011-2012 version with the blown diffusers. The amount of downforce they had was phenomenal. In qualifying modes, the throttle bodies were open 90% through the whole corner. When we had the F1 cars with blown diffusers, they were completely different from before because the more throttle you had on, the more downforce you had. In other F1 cars you’d get on the power and you’d get a bit of wheelspin, so you’d wait. With these cars you’d get a bit of wheelspin so you would have to apply more throttle to get more downforce and get rid of the wheelspin"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Very interesting, cheers for that. This bit especially:
    Ya, I liked that bit too. No wonder that Brawn was so far ahead! Ross is a big loss to the sport. Maybe McLaren should hire him!

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    Ya, I liked that bit too. No wonder that Brawn was so far ahead! Ross is a big loss to the sport. Maybe McLaren should hire him!

Ya. Very short sighted of mercedes to push him out.
    When the tables turn alittle, they might be wishing he was still there.

• Advertisement

Ya. Very short sighted of mercedes to push him out.
    When the tables turn alittle, they might be wishing he was still there.

Brawn is definitely a massive, massive asset to have...& we're seeing the fruits of his presence that last two years in Mercedes. You have to wonder, how Mercedes will adapt & evolve as new challenges present themselves. It's be strange to see them struggle again in the future, much like Red Bull today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Might be a silly question but only just thought of it, how come f1 cars don't use full automatic gearboxes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Harika

Might be a silly question but only just thought of it, how come f1 cars don't use full automatic gearboxes?

Because of regulations, anyway we had already automatic gearboxes but as they were good for shifting up, for downward shifting they were not so handy, as in a quick corner a downshift can easily destabilize the car, so this was very quickly given back to the driver to decide when to down shift.

I remember coultard tested a cvt gearbox williams years back and it absolutely destroyed all lap times set with traditional gearbox. It was banned before it got started I think.

I remember coultard tested a cvt gearbox williams years back and it absolutely destroyed all lap times set with traditional gearbox. It was banned before it got started I think.

Oooh interesting, must look this up!

*Edit

Some reading on it - http://www.auto123.com/en/news/f1-technique-williams-tested-a-cvt-transmission-back-in-1993-video/34642/

Love innovation like this, it sounds similar in a way to that new Regera car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Had a cvt gearbox in a previous car, was great, wouldn't feel any gear change just steady revs and smooth acceleration, more fuel efficient than manual I think too

I will say though that F1 would have sounded very differently if they had allowed that. I do love hearing the V10's changing gear, the sounds on the downshift are pant wetting.

I mean...JUST LISTEN!

Zcott wrote: »
    Not that you're biased or anything ;-)

Me....biased....never!

Jordan-1991.jpg

Car #32 driven by Bertrand Gachot, Michael Schumacher, Roberto Moreno and Alex Zanardi.

An amazing looking racing car :cool:

I could look at that all day and drink 7up.

I usually hate this term, but they really don't make'em like they used to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Harika

Here is a video:

Belgian GP next weekend :D

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

FIA confirms no more new F1 team entries for 2016

Formula 1's grid will not expand beyond 11 teams before 2017 at the earliest, after the FIA confirmed on Friday that no new outfits had been successful in applying for a slot.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/fia-confirms-no-more-new-f1-team-entries-for-2016/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Thought Haas was due to join next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

FIA confirms no more new F1 team entries for 2016

Formula 1's grid will not expand beyond 11 teams before 2017 at the earliest, after the FIA confirmed on Friday that no new outfits had been successful in applying for a slot.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/fia-confirms-no-more-new-f1-team-entries-for-2016/

Wonder how many 'applied'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Thought Haas was due to join next year.

I thought so so just presumed no 'new' teams didn't apply to them. Afaik Haas F1 are ready to go, engines supplied, use of wind tunnel etc all sorted. Didn't read link as I'm on mobile.

• Advertisement
Advertisement