Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlie (RTE1 Charlie Haughey Drama)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Seriously, people need to get over their obsession with Love/Hate.

This is a different programme. The actors are portraying different roles.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Skid X wrote: »

I'm more and more glad I never saw Love Hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Skid X wrote: »

Absolutely! This happens on British and US TV all the time - the same actors
    popping up in several different programmes. Acting is their job!!!

If I see another post about who was in L/H, I think I will scream!! ;)

I'm really getting tired of RTE continually referring to people who have acted in Love Hate. It's a bit like those really annoying parents who keep talking about their own children. YAWN.
    And that's from someone who watched and enjoyed Love Hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

Lots of flashing cameras - would that be realistic for the time?

How do you think people took photos, this was 1980 not 1890!

The Stardust thing was important politically, as it lead to the cancellation of the Ard Fheis and delayed the election timetable. Its representation in the film was a bit odd, as of course it was at night and the Taoiseach probably heard of it in a phone call, not in daylight in his office.

Gillen does alright in this, so of these around him less so. All this talk of Love/Hate is ridiculous, of course irish actors appear in other productions, many of these were in Fair City, the Clinic etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

I'm not sure if it's just me getting used to Gillen as Haughey.. But this was a lot better on the second viewing last nite... Gillen's Haughey is certainly forced, but when you get used to him it makes the show more watchable..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Absolutely! This happens on British and US TV all the time - the same actors
    popping up in several different programmes. Acting is their job!!!

If I see another post about who was in L/H, I think I will scream!! ;)

Its all well and good seeing actors pop up in different roles. It is quite strange though when numerous scenes in this show are made up entirely of love / hate actors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

mickdw wrote: »
    Its all well and good seeing actors pop up in different roles. It is quite strange though when numerous scenes in this show are made up entirely of love / hate actors.

Really happy I never watched love/hate then. I don't have any love/hate issues with the show and really thought it was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I'm not sure if it's just me getting used to Gillen as Haughey.. But this was a lot better on the second viewing last nite... Gillen's Haughey is certainly forced, but when you get used to him it makes the show more watchable..

Yeah, I also watched it again and I wasn't nearly as distracted by Gillen. Hopefully the rest of the series will be more watchable now that the viewers are more familiar with the actors' stylings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭JaseBelleVie

Can't wait for this tonight!

I've also had that f*cking "Arise and Follow" song stuck in my head all week. :o

• Advertisement

JaseHeath wrote: »
    Can't wait for this tonight!

I've also had that f*cking "Arise and Follow" song stuck in my head all week. :o

I don't know if I'll bother watching the second half. I spent the first one trying to figure out who was who and what was going on, and gritting my teeth at the acting of Gillen. And the music drove me bonkers.

But I probably will...

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Walter Concrete

This.I enjoyed the first episode but found it hard to get past Aiden Gillen elongating everrrry seeeecond word for dramatic effect. Something of the pantomine villain about him in this. Much like Littlefinger in GOT.

He has a tendency to overact. Having said all that I'll certainly be watching later on so maybe I'm just a pedantic prick!

mickdw wrote: »

Ireland is a small country. There's a limited pool of actors and they need all the work they can get. If Love/Hate hadn't been on so recently, people wouldn't be making such comparisons.

I'm all the more happy I never saw L/H

katydid wrote: »
    Ireland is a small country. There's a limited pool of actors and they need all the work they can get. If Love/Hate hadn't been on so recently, people wouldn't be making such comparisons.

Preach! We've a small pool of jobbing actors to draw from as it is, given our size. Who did people expect? Liam Neeson as Haughey? , Colm Meaney as Brian Lenihan? Ryan Colin Farrell as Bertie?

katydid wrote: »

Preach! We've a small pool of jobbing actors to draw from as it is, given our size. Who did people expect? Liam Neeson as Haughey? , Colm Meaney as Brian Lenihan? Colin Farrell as Bertie?

Alan Cumming would have the makings of a great Bertie. He has that creepy little sneakiness about him as he showed in Circle of friends

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Alan Cumming would have the makings of a great Bertie. He has that creepy little sneakiness about him as he showed in Circle of friends

Could definitely see him as Bertie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

Here we go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Elmo still living in the same flats.....handy coincidence :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

What's up with Jacinta's shop having no stock???!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Elmos a rat

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Who is Des ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Is that the dentist from Love/Hate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

des o malley isnt a great casting. 'doherty' however might as well be the man himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭emanresu esrever

Lapin wrote: »
    Who is Des ?

des o malley

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

Bertie! :D
    Woohoo

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭weadick

That music is fierce annoying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

This Patrick fella is dire.

The guy from the insurance advert?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Ok I'm thick
    What was that letter about ? And who's the father of what?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

He has a tendency to overact. Having said all that I'll certainly be watching later on so maybe I'm just a pedantic prick!

What I'm finding now is that I can take any of the rest of them seriously!!!

Nally, Doherty, Bertie, and some other bogger I havent identified... All look like they are straight out of Killinaskully..

Advertisement