Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlie (RTE1 Charlie Haughey Drama)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

One of the things I liked about Haughey was his superiority complex when it came to dealing with other foreign leaders.

I wonder how Charlie would have dealt with the likes of Angela Merkel. Unlike Enda Kenny, I don't think he'd be grovelling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

I want PJ to take those glasses and trenchcoat off and turn Nidge on them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

MrsD007 wrote: »
    One of the things I liked about Haughey was his superiority complex when it came to dealing with other foreign leaders.

I wonder how Charlie would have dealt with the likes of Angela Merkel. Unlike Enda Kenny, I don't think he'd be grovelling.

:D:D:D

I would just have loved to be a fly on the wall for that MrsD....

Not many "huggy kissy kissies" like Enda for sure!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Jim Gibbons did get beaten up my friend s of Charlie, never heard about colley

True, apparently. GUBU is right
    It was a perceptible atmosphere within Leinster House. And a thing happened that a lot of people nowadays would tell you couldn’t happen: a deputy was beaten up very severely in the precincts of Leinster House — in the front hall of Leinster House, one of the most public places of all — by four people.

“Kicked in the face and chest, knocked to the ground, kicked around, and beaten again when he was brought out to his car in the car park, and nothing ever happened as a result of that. And he was beaten up in that way because he had voted for me in the election.”

The notorious incident happened after Charlie McCreevy had laid down a daring — and ultimately unsuccessful challenge to Mr Haughey’s leadership in 1982.

Mr O’Malley did not identify the TD who was attacked, but it’s common knowledge that it was former Defence Minister Jim Gibbons, who voted against Mr Haughey in the heave.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/omalley-attack-on-td-recalls-fear-of-haughey-era-24692.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

Watching this, I cant help but think will we have such dramas about present day sleeveen politicians. Honestly, I don't think a lot has changed in how politics operates in this country if not worse than it was then.

• Advertisement

Skid X wrote: »

Was the bar on a late night I wonder??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

He would't be Angela Merkels fcuking lapdog thats for certain and rather than have Sarkozy ruffling his hair he'd have been trying to shag Carla Bruni. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

sunbeam wrote: »
    He gave schoolkids a free toothbrush each when he was minister for health. I was in senior infants so it would have been around 78/79. I also remember a prehistoric 'video' showing us how a kid magically banished an agonising toothache just by brushing his teeth...

I was in senior infants then too. We called it high babies. :)
    No toothbrush or video in my school though.
    I'm going to demand an inquiry into the nuns.
    Around 1.50 in Aldi at the moment you stingy fúcker :p

I know but still,, you can't beat the feeling of getting something for free no matter how cheap it is. :D

I thought it was very enjoyable tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

The way Mara speaks is ridiculous as well... He sounds like somebody phoning a threat to Batman...

• Advertisement

Because it's a drama - as we are told - it misses an awful lot.

At least I've seen a new way to eat fowl...

MrsD007 wrote: »

I wonder how Charlie would have dealt with the likes of Angela Merkel. Unlike Enda Kenny, I don't think he'd be grovellin
    g.

No question he'd stand up to them. Im no FF fan but Haughey had his strengths which Ill freely admit that i thoroughly admired. He was dodgy but he was also strong and stood by his certain beliefs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

What is Ruby Wax doing in next weeks show?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

PJ Mara seems like a character. He became a father again 2 years ago at the age of 71. Life in the old dog anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭happysunnydays

Ally Dick wrote: »
    I am here chewing my arm off. I can't wait for this pain to stop. This drama is torture. Like The Wallworth Farce

....and I bet you will tune in again next week.

The way Mara speaks is ridiculous as well... He sounds like somebody phoning a threat to Batman...

"Mara" is so understated in this drama....such a shame for a character who was one of the most quick-witted PR gentleman to grace the political floor...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Even though I have no affiliation to any political party/leaders, I really feel sorry for the haughey family. Maybe it suits them to be airbrushed out but I do feel terry Keane has been given too much prominence.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

I really enjoyed that, missed last weeks episode so sometimes I had to guess the characters. Fianna Fáil must be raging about this going out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

“Kicked in the face and chest, knocked to the ground, kicked around, and beaten again when he was brought out to his car in the car park, and nothing ever happened as a result of that. And he was beaten up in that way because he had voted for me in the election.”

As he was being attacked, Mr Gibbons was heard to say "oooh ooh ooh"...

*takes bow*...

Lisha wrote: »
    Even though I have no affiliation to any political party/leaders, I really feel sorry for the haughey family. Maybe it suits them to be airbrushed out but I do feel terry Keane has been given too much prominence.

I'd rather be airbrushed out of this drama too Lisha if I was one of them...

I'm sure the Keane family are mortified - She was married to a Judge at the time remember...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Who was the politician CH and Meara discovered in the toilet??He was semi promised a junior ministry..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Well, they don't have to watch. Their father/husband was what he was, and he was a public figure. His relationship with Keane was an open secret, and if she hobnobbed with the likes of Mitterand, it has to be shown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Anyone know if the yellow painted block of flats you see Tony Gregory (Kinlan) hanging out in a couple of times is one of the old blocks around the Liberties? St Teresa's Gardens perhaps? Looks ridiculously familiar, but then a lot of older apartment complexes look the same...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I'd rather be airbrushed out of this drama too Lisha if I was one of them...

I'm sure the Keane family are mortified - She was married to a Judge at the time remember...

Yes, I get the impression she was more dignified than how she is being portrayed in this series. I know its done for dramatic affect but it's all a bit crass.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

seligehgit wrote: »
    Who was the politician CH and Meara discovered in the toilet??He was semi promised a junior ministry..

Nobody seems to know. Mystery man.

They need to say and repeat names over and over so we can know who is supposed to be who. It's very hard to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭lukejr

Artistic license taken, but Gibbons was indeed kicked, punched and knocked to the ground, see page from O'Malley's autobiography for his account attached.

Copyright law gone mad! I posted to my twitter account if anyone interested. I'm sure Des won't mind me promoting his book by posting half a page from it!

I feel sorry for Justice Keane and Terry's children too.

Yes, I get the impression she was more dignified than how she is being portrayed in this series. I know its done for dramatic affect but it's all a bit crass.

For sure Lisha...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

I dunno, I still think it's woeful. It's too segmented; maybe we've heard it all before, be it in books, newspapers or scrap Saturday but I just can't warm to it at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 968 ✭✭✭radharc

Have to say I'm loving it, Gillen is an actor I usually think is over-rated but really impressed with him in this. This week was a big step up on last week imo.

Advertisement