Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlie (RTE1 Charlie Haughey Drama)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

In 1986 CJ Haughey did a documentary series about Ireland for Channel 4. Hard to see Enda doing that now.

Something for you to watch before next week's concluding episode!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

MrsD007 wrote: »
    I feel sorry for Justice Keane and Terry's children too.

True enough I do too. I think terry Keane deserved better.

Lisha wrote: »
    Even though I have no affiliation to any political party/leaders, I really feel sorry for the haughey family. Maybe it suits them to be airbrushed out but I do feel terry Keane has been given too much prominence.

Was he separated in all but legal terms from the wife at that stage? She is nowhere to be seen

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Who was the bumbling eejit that Mara and CJ found in the jacks?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

radharc wrote: »
    Have to say I'm loving it, Gillen is an actor I usually think is over-rated but really impressed with him in this. This week was a big step up on last week imo.

Ah come on. His speech is totally unnatural. He doesn't speak, he declaims. Even when he's relaxing with his mistress, he is declaiming.

His gestures and so on are good, but the delivery of the lines is appalling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,347 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

For anyone watching this who wasn't around at the time, you'd never guess that Haughey was married with a family. You'd think they could at least hint at their existence, if only to put Terry Keane into proper perspective.

There's a lot of semi-caricature portrayals going on - I'm not sure anyone would be flattered by their alter egos in this, bar possibly Des O'Malley.

The guy in the toilet is making it nearly like a bad whodunnit. He's obviously not a real character otherwise someone would have recognised him or he'd have been identified. So what's he meant to be representing?

And if Gillen doesn't stop saying buttttttttt and outtttttttt and the like, I'll scream!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Beechfiled

I wish they would wear name badges, Im confused as to whos who, its too fast for me jumping from one thing to another.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Tony_Yeboah

Anyone know if the yellow painted block of flats you see Tony Gregory (Kinlan) hanging out in a couple of times is one of the old blocks around the Liberties? St Teresa's Gardens perhaps? Looks ridiculously familiar, but then a lot of older apartment complexes look the same...

Apartment complexes! Ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Was he separated in all but legal terms from the wife at that stage? She is nowhere to be seen
    No, Maureen and he remained together until his death.

I've always liked Maureen Haughey, she comes across as a real lady but part of me feels that CJH may have been more in love with the idea of being Sean Lemass' son in law. It could have only have helped his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

I feel sorry for Justice Keane and Terry's children too.

Even after his disgraceful carry on at the Stardust inquiry...???

• Advertisement

katydid wrote: »
    Nobody seems to know. Mystery man.

They need to say and repeat names over and over so we can know who is supposed to be who. It's very hard to follow.

Ray McSharry as said last week

washman3 wrote: »
    Justice Keane is an honourable man.
    The Keane Tribunal's report published in 1982 was critical of Dublin Corporation for failures in building regulations and planning inspections and the Department of the Environment for inadequate fire prevention services and deficiencies in training in the fire service. Justice Keane also criticised the owners and management of the Stardust ballroom itself for its 'recklessly dangerous practices' when it was revealed that some emergency exit doors had been locked and impeded on the night of the fire.

washman3 wrote: »

Thats right, where he plucked a decision of 'probable arson' out of his arse.

Justice Keane is an honourable man.

Didnt find the owners in any way guilty though did he.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Beechfiled

Anyone know if the yellow painted block of flats you see Tony Gregory (Kinlan) hanging out in a couple of times is one of the old blocks around the Liberties? St Teresa's Gardens perhaps? Looks ridiculously familiar, but then a lot of older apartment complexes look the same...

Like everything else, they were in Love/Hate. They look like Dolphin house in Dolphins Barn to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭leck

Because it's a drama - as we are told - it misses an awful lot.

At least I've seen a new way to eat fowl...
    It is said that the Ortolan was the last thing to pass Mitterrand’s lips in his final meal on New Year's Eve 1995. He died eight days later of prostate cancer at the age of 79 in January 1996.

No, Maureen and he remained together until his death.

I've always liked Maureen Haughey, she comes across as a real lady but part of me feels that CJH may have been more in love with the idea of being Sean Lemass' son in law. It could have only have helped his career.

Knocked four kids out of Maureen so must have liked what he seen at some stage and he even went as far as putting a ring on it.

Didnt find the owners in any way guilty though did he.
    It was a tribunal not a trial and he did criticise the owners for the Stardust Ballroom for its 'recklessly dangerous practices' when it was revealed that some emergency exit doors had been locked and impeded on the night of the fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Thats right, where he plucked a decision of 'probable arson' out of his arse.

The 2 words that saved the owners from liability..!!
    The same owners that were FF supporters.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Quite common for Kings and Emperors to have a wife/children/stable home life while having plenty of fun on the side. Haughey seemed to buy into that whole lifestyle.

• Advertisement

It was a tribunal not a trial and he did criticise the owners for the Stardust Ballroom for its 'recklessly dangerous practices' when it was revealed that some emergency exit doors had been locked and impeded on the night of the fire.

True but the final verdict blamed an unseen arsonist without any shred of proof that arson took place and for that i believe the judges took part in a blatant whitewash. (granted he was one of a panel of judges)

It emerged in later years that the room where all of the detergents were kept in were not in the basement but at first floor club level so the strong possibility was that these detergents may have imploded causing the flames to rise and spread thorugh the ceiling. Conveniently whitewashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Don't think so,he was finance minister.This dude was a lowly backbencher allegedly promised a junior ministry...engaged in a bit of tomfoolery when Des O Malley was offered his ministerial portfolio.Charlie pretended he would ruin his politicial career and legal practice if he did'nt toe the line.

Agricola wrote: »
    Quite common for Kings and Emperors to have a wife/children/stable home life while having plenty of fun on the side. Haughey seemed to buy into that whole lifestyle.

I can remember a scene from one of the Underbelly films about the Calabrian mafia where one of the gangster molls was happy enough if her husband had affairs just so long as they didnt become public and shame her family. Could be the case here.

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

The only thing I took from that 'toilet' scene is that you should always, always, lock the door when you're on the jacks :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

Mycroft H wrote: »
    Who was the bumbling eejit that Mara and CJ found in the jacks?

I presume its Neil Blaney who was independant..sort of.
    Bit like Jackie Healy Rae - Independant Fianna Fail

seligehgit wrote: »
    Don't think so,he was finance minister.This dude was a lowly backbencher allegedly promised a junior ministry...engaged in a bit of tomfoolery when Des O Malley was offered his ministerial portfolio.Charlie was pretended he was would ruin his politicial career and legal practice if he did'nt toe the line.

Indeed your right

This is McSharry
    image.jpg

This article backs you up

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/tv-radio-web/charlie-s-people-who-was-who-in-the-world-of-charles-haughey-1.2060504

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

leck wrote: »
    It is said that the Ortolan was the last thing to pass Mitterrand’s lips in his final meal on New Year's Eve 1995. He died eight days later of prostate cancer at the age of 79 in January 1996.

The Mitterand thing gets a mention here.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinknews/11101187/Ortolans-could-Frances-cruellest-food-be-back-on-the-menu.html

Ortolan recipe
    http://www.ecis.com/~alizard/ortolan_recipe.html
    Not for the faint hearted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭endakenny

Who is the man with the sideburns who Haughey and Mara caught hiding in the toilet cublicle?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Can't hack any more ignorant comment from (jackeen) gosoons who weren't out of nappies when this was contemporary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,898 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Cedrus wrote: »
    Can't hack any more ignorant comment from (jackeen) gosoons who weren't out of nappies when this was contemporary.

:rolleyes:

Advertisement