Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlie (RTE1 Charlie Haughey Drama)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,898 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Anybody doubting story line needs to watch this,

• Registered Users Posts: 20,898 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Cedrus wrote: »
    Can't hack any more ignorant comment from (jackeen) gosoons who weren't out of nappies when this was contemporary.

Well one thing for sure in Charlie - it seems that jackeens were not the only fools around.

Some of the TDs from outside Dublin in this - are an embarrassment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I think Aidan Gillen got his speech pattern dead on. He did do that strange emphasis of random words when speaking - a la Dev in 'Coronation Street'.

The thing that always struck me about Haughey if you saw him entering or leaving a public event was firstly how short he was and secondly, this strange slow walk he used to do on the way to or from the car. It was quite amusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭leck

sligojoek wrote: »
    I wonder was there supposed to be some symbolism in that scene. The flavour is said to embody "the soul of France." Here was Mitterand sitting at the dining table with his mistress with Haughey and his mistress, sharing this special dish. Wondering if the chef was supposed to be Mitterand's personal chef with the ortolans flown in specially from France?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Beechfiled wrote: »
    Like everything else, they were in Love/Hate. They look like Dolphin house in Dolphins Barn to me.

On second viewing, I think you're right indeed.
    In Love/Hate Dolphin House is Aido's gaff, just around the corner from where some of my friends are renting :D

Is Charlie also made by Octagon by any chance? The number of "assets" which are being re-used is pretty amazing :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

If the real Terry Keane actually does have that sexy scratchy voice she has in the show, then I for one don't blame Haughey for an instant ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Lapin wrote: »
    That's the first time I've ever understood a word McCreevey has said.

Haha! Remember Schultz attacking him in the European Parliament a few
    years ago, saying he could not understand a word he said!!

katydid wrote: »
    "Doherty" is brilliant. The only one that works for me.

The young Bertie is a very good likeness as well.

katydid wrote: »
    Well, they don't have to watch. Their father/husband was what he was, and he was a public figure. His relationship with Keane was an open secret, and if she hobnobbed with the likes of Mitterand, it has to be shown.

Everybody knew about Haughey and Terry Keane, as far back as the 70s, even
    though there was not a word in the media about it. On one occasion, when Charlie
    was sporting a plaster cast on his arm, it was said that Terry's hubby had thrown
    him down the stairs. He said he had acquired the broken arm in a fall from his
    horse!! :(

MrsD007 wrote: »
    I feel sorry for Justice Keane and Terry's children too.

She humiliated them when she gave that interview to Gay Byrne on the LLS.
    Iirc, she regretted it afterwards.

• Advertisement

Lisha wrote: »
    Yes, I get the impression she was more dignified than how she is being portrayed in this series. I know its done for dramatic affect but it's all a bit crass.

Dignity is not a word I would associate with Terry Keane.
    With Maureen Haughey, definitely yes.

Heard Michael O'Regan say that he was speaking to a colleague who had
    visited Charlie at home in his latter years. Charlie apparently had had 'buyer's
    remorse' and is reported to have said that he regretted the relationship
    he had with Terry Keane. That YouTube video would seem to bear that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭boysinblack

Where is a list of who all the actors portray for anybody interested

http://www.rte.ie/drama/tv/featured/charlie/abouttheshow.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭touts

Where is a list of who all the actors portray for anybody interested

I'll be printing that out and using it as a reference guide next week.

TD N0. 7 seems to be an amalgamation of every backbench TD in the party. Part of me laughs at the idea of people in the 70s and 80s electing gombeens like this. Then I remember a couple of my local TDs. Elected as thanks for years filling potholes and chasing coffins and no talent for anything else. The more things change.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I liked the second episode more then the first.

I wonder was the young Bertie standing aside and letting Reynolds exit the room and him following him a nod to the future from the writers. Two leaders getting a short bit of screen time there

I'm probably reading too much into it, was over in 10 seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

MrsD007 wrote: »
    No, Maureen and he remained together until his death.

I've always liked Maureen Haughey, she comes across as a real lady but part of me feels that CJH may have been more in love with the idea of being Sean Lemass' son in law. It could have only have helped his career.

Maybe she modeled herself on Kay Adams from the Godfather

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

I was rather young when the events portrayed took place, but one thing that rung home with me was jacintas shop, i remember empty shops like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Really enjoyed this week's installment. The stuff on the Iraq beef deal was surreal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

What did tubbrity say at the end of this interview when Aidan Cullen talks about how Charlie wanted to portray himself. Sounded like "from Crumlin". Thanks.

Sorry just noticed the link. It's at the end of the aiden gillen interview that follows. Thanks.

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

I enjoyed last weeks opening episode but thought this weeks was a real step up.
    Doherty continues to be the stand out character, Mara took a back seat this episode but I'm looking forward to more of him next week.
    Gillen has really surprised me here, Machiavellian roles like this & GOT seem to suit him better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭granturismo

endakenny wrote: »
    Who is the man with the sideburns who Haughey and Mara caught hiding in the toilet cublicle?

A fictional character:

That would have been epic if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

I enjoyed last weeks opening episode but thought this weeks was a real step up.

I agree, I think it is mainly down to the whole episode being set in 1982 and the events that happened.

In the first, it simply tried to cover too much

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

mickdw wrote: »
    Bertie was famous for wearing an old duffle coat all through his earlier years in politics so he did tend to be very scruffy.

Wasn't he known as "The Rat in the Anorak"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 AlecTrevelyan

In conjunction with Charlie, I've ranked all the Taoisigh in order of coolness on my blog, which I cant link to for some reason. However blogs name is catmalojin dot wordpress dot com, so hopefully you'll be able to find it that way.

Take a look if yer interested!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Ray McSharry as said last week

The guy in the toilet wasn't McSharry. He featured elsewhere, and looked similar to the original. Looked nothing like the guy in the toilet.

claire byrne looking fiiiiiiiiiiiiinnne

Huh? Cutey Claire Byrne the news reader? Where? I would have noticed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭jezzer

mikemac1 wrote: »
    I liked the second episode more then the first.

I wonder was the young Bertie standing aside and letting Reynolds exit the room and him following him a nod to the future from the writers. Two leaders getting a short bit of screen time there

I'm probably reading too much into it, was over in 10 seconds

I think this was to show that bertie was aware of his standing at the time, he was up and coming and was willing to wait in the long grass...

Can anyone explain what the heck was going on when eating with the french president???? the bizarre ritual thing....it was very odd and disturbing

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Everybody knew about Haughey and Terry Keane, as far back as the 70s, even
    though there was not a word in the media about it. On one occasion, when Charlie
    was sporting a plaster cast on his arm, it was said that Terry's hubby had thrown
    him down the stairs. He said he had acquired the broken arm in a fall from his
    horse!! :(

why did the media keep quiet about it? for a seemingly smart man it was a stupid thing to do, become involved with her...

• Advertisement

Jim Gibbons did get beaten up my friend s of Charlie, never heard about colley

It was Jim Gibbons who was beaten up by Haughey supporters. Gibbons was Defence Minister at the time of the Arms Crisis and his testimony at the trial flatly contradicted that of Haughey. It caused the judge in his summing up to say that one of them (at least) must have committed perjury.

Haughey and Gibbons had much the same mutual loathing for each other as Haughey and Colley had. But Colley was a much more influential figure in the party.

Gibbons was a little guy that the bullies could get away with beating up.

Which makes me say a big **** OFF to all those who surmise that Haughey would have "stood up" to the likes of Merkel, Chopra, Draghi, Trichet etc

He would in his hole. The man was muck.

As too is this series. Very disappointing.

Advertisement