Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlie (RTE1 Charlie Haughey Drama)

Options

Comments

I think the Late Late Show has run its course. May check in on it later but will not watch it fully and haven't done for around 2 years I'd say! I prefer the Saturday Night Show as it is shorter and for some reason is more natural and interesting. I think that it is its pace it it moves quickly so even poor fare passes by faster!

The Frontline's 2009 to 2013 run was blotted by overemphasis on the tired story of our banks and the 'poor people bailing out the rich recession'. There is something very disturbing in watching a man (Pat Kenny) on obscene money talking about things he never has to worry about! This programme lacked invention and it was just the same topic over and over most of the time. It was bad natured and argumentative too and very stress enducing.

Primetime is a better programme but again when it is banks, recession, etc. it is boring. International current affairs are always more interesting I find as not much really goes on in Ireland (which is probably good as we don't want to be the centre of attention like Iraq and Syria are!). Primetime is at its best dealing with international topics.

Irish TV is at its best when a good drama is made. Love/Hate and Charlie are two of the best recent ones. I enjoyed Amber too (not everyone was happy with its ending but it was the realistic ending for most in such situations unfortunately) last year. The Fall was a good one as well. Did not get to see Quirke, Single Handed or Raw so can't judge these ones. Further back, we had The Family, Making the Cut and Strumpet City. Admittedly, we had some misses along the way too like Trouble in Paradise and the infamous The Big Bow Wow. But the fact is, I can name more good than bad Irish dramas.

Dont forget Pure Mule ;) An excellent drama. Single Handed is quite good if you get a chance to view it at some stage. Havent seen Strumpet City myself to judge but it was huge for its time i believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,714 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Thought the second episode was far more enjoyable than the first. Could almost pass as a comedy such was Haughey's personality which I think Gillen plays really well. Looking forward to the final installment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Havent seen Strumpet City myself to judge but it was huge for its time i believe.

Ah you have to watch Strumpet City, you'll recognise most of the actors in it

It made RTE plenty of punts and was sold to over 30 countries

Very ambitious project and it worked.

You've no excuse, it's up on youtube!! :)

mikemac1 wrote: »

RTE should really do re runs of all of these programs. Was 'The Treaty' with Brendan Gleeson an RTE drama? or the one about Parnell back in the early 90s?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

RTE should really do re runs of all of these programs. Was 'The Treaty' with Brendan Gleeson an RTE drama? or the one about Parnell back in the early 90s?

It was a joint production between RTE and the BBC.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

W1ll1s wrote: »
    Nearly 15 mins of adds every hour drives me nuts!

You would love watching TV in the states then :pac:
    I think the Late Late Show has run its course. May check in on it later but will not watch it fully and haven't done for around 2 years I'd say! I prefer the Saturday Night Show as it is shorter and for some reason is more natural and interesting. I think that it is its pace it it moves quickly so even poor fare passes by faster!

Agreed. They don't drag things out on the SNS. Only downside is when its somebody interesting he has on and the interview ends early.
    The Frontline's 2009 to 2013 run was blotted by overemphasis on the tired story of our banks and the 'poor people bailing out the rich recession'. There is something very disturbing in watching a man (Pat Kenny) on obscene money talking about things he never has to worry about! This programme lacked invention and it was just the same topic over and over most of the time. It was bad natured and argumentative too and very stress enducing.

A very accurate reflection of where the country was at the time :D

Is this new show with Claire Byrne going be be a reboot of the Frontline. I think it will be.
    Primetime is a better programme but again when it is banks, recession, etc. it is boring. International current affairs are always more interesting I find as not much really goes on in Ireland (which is probably good as we don't want to be the centre of attention like Iraq and Syria are!). Primetime is at its best dealing with international topics.

Leaders debates on PT are always great box office. I do agree that international affairs are always interesting to watch. Maybe there is a quota of domestic content that they need to fill. I have no problem with them covering the bank guarantee etc its just that in most cases you will be aware of what the developments are via either the news (radio & tv) or read about it on the internet.
    Irish TV is at its best when a good drama is made. Love/Hate and Charlie are two of the best recent ones. I enjoyed Amber too (not everyone was happy with its ending but it was the realistic ending for most in such situations unfortunately) last year. The Fall was a good one as well. Did not get to see Quirke, Single Handed or Raw so can't judge these ones. Further back, we had The Family, Making the Cut and Strumpet City. Admittedly, we had some misses along the way too like Trouble in Paradise and the infamous The Big Bow Wow. But the fact is, I can name more good than bad Irish dramas.

Now there was a great hard hitting drama, nearly 22 years old & all. Sean McGinley was great in that. He may not get the acclaim that Gleeson and Neeson get, but he is one of our finest actors.
    mikemac1 wrote: »

Did I hear that it was the most watched show in the USSR back in the day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

mzungu wrote: »
    Did I hear that it was the most watched show in the USSR back in the day?

Yes! That came out with the release of the 30 year archives. The Commies were mad for it so they were.

ivytwine wrote: »
    Yes! That came out with the release of the 30 year archives. The Commies were mad for it so they were.

That's the one, I knew I hadn't imagined it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭leck

mzungu wrote: »
    Now there was a great hard hitting drama [The Family], nearly 22 years old & all. Sean McGinley was great in that. He may not get the acclaim that Gleeson and Neeson get, but he is one of our finest actors.
    Is The Family available online anywhere? I never saw that.

Answering my own question: found Episode 1 on youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVecSVezYG4

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

When will we see "Bertie", and the sequel "Brian"?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

madmaggie wrote: »
    When will we see "Bertie", and the sequel "Brian"?:rolleyes:

RTE don't do horror movies :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

Different guy playing Ahern?

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭small town girl

Different guy playing Ahern?

No, same guy with better haircut I think

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Don't think Albert was ever Minister for Agriculture..

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Mara with a back seatbelt on him :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Albert looks more like John Lonergan.

OK, I'll bite - what was the medal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

Is this el Diablo ****e real?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I thought that was Michael Martin there for a minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    OK, I'll bite - what was the medal?

An old ira medal I reckon

• Advertisement

Nod to Sebastian Barry there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

I'm guessing Rachel Doherty will be on with Sean O'Rourke again tomorrow morning..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Gillen's accent is unacceptable. He's wrecked it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

The guy playing Reynolds look so much more like McSharry.. I find this a bit confusing, as they keep mentioning McSharry and then showing him...

McSharry-Ray-198002000040.jpg

It's the dark eyebrows and eyes...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Excuse my ignorance, but did we really sell non irish beef as irish halal beef?

Lisha wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance, but did we really sell non irish beef as irish halal beef?

As I remember it, not only did we do the above, it was out-of-date beef to boot.

Not our finest hour!

PJ Mara......

woody_allen_835f1.jpg

How did Charlie's army bully (aka the peaceful pipe bomber) turn into a (failing) property mogul?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

They skipped over Charlie's glorious victory in the 1987 Tour De France.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

A shower of gangsters

Advertisement