Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlie (RTE1 Charlie Haughey Drama)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭touts

Nobody on ANY of the panel shows discussing the program seemed to know either.. They all seemed to think it was the token backbencher...

Yea but the promotion to cabinet makes it a very small number of potential candidates. Davern fits that part of the profile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭emanresu esrever

Lumbarda wrote: »
    My tv froze there for a couple of minutes when the guy came into his office with the Arms Trial folder, what did he say, what was that about?

something like "do you want ta ba a bit a carpet"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

What a line :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

RTE was on strike during Haughey's final days in office. It was hard to follow what was going on, there no other Irish TV stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

Tony EH wrote: »
    I don't know too much about Terry Keane, other than what I've read and seen on the Late Late, but if she was anything like she's portrayed on this program, she has to have been one of the most appalling, obnoxious cünts ever to have walked the earth.

Insert sick smilie here --->

I don't think I could stand spending 5 minutes in that woman's company.

I don't have much knowledge of her myself but I wrote this somewhere else on this thread that the fact that she used to write in her column about herself and "Sweetie" is sickening enough and says all I need to know about her.

I assume she loved him and you can't help who you fall in love with no matter how flawed they may be, but that kind of carry on and flaunting of their relationship is so tacky and unclassy and shows complete apathy towards his wife and most importantly his children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Mara is great for the one-liners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Who is this jimmy character?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Great ending

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭small town girl

Sandcastles collapsing in the waves, seriously?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

All the griping about the continuity in Love/Hate drove me nuts - but the exterior shots of Government Buildings, followed by interior shots of I know not where but most definitely NOT Government Buildings, followed by Charlie leaving Dublin Castle, are making me feel very disorientated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

I have no idea why anyone would want to get into politics. What a rotten business.

Lumbarda wrote: »
    My tv froze there for a couple of minutes when the guy came into his office with the Arms Trial folder, what did he say, what was that about?

He didn't say much, when he handed Haughey the file they both knew the game was over, and Haughey asked for time to anoint a successor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Grandiose ending to an awful production.....in the main down to Aiden Gillen, his performance of Haughey was laughably bad and tragic........and that's ignoring all the other ham acts around him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Next series is to do with the flight back from the US with Albert and the suitcase of money to his special bank acount.
    Oh I forgot he didn't remember.

Great ending

the idea of the sandcastle was good (but obvious) but the cinematography was terrible. he opens a door and suddenly he is on the beach

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Next series is to do with the flight back from the US with Albert and the suitcase of money to his special bank acount.
    Oh I forgot he didn't remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I want one of those big Mercs!

My brother used to service an '86 model. Beautiful motor even if it was 15 years old. I used to spend ages just sitting in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

the idea of the sandcastle was good (but obvious) but the cinematography was terrible. he opens a door and suddenly he is on the beach

Charlie didnt actually build a sandcastle that morning only to come back and find out the waves had destroyed it... It was a metaphor...

:pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I thought it was a brilliant series and loved the ending! Very funny in parts too.

It might have worked better if he was walking along the beach, then stopped to look at the sandcastle which was suddenly washed away by the tide. Something like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Good series I liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Meangadh wrote: »
    I don't have much knowledge of her myself but I wrote this somewhere else on this thread that the fact that she used to write in her column about herself and "Sweetie" is sickening enough and says all I need to know about her.

I assume she loved him and you can't help who you fall in love with no matter how flawed they may be, but that kind of carry on and flaunting of their relationship is so tacky and unclassy and shows complete apathy towards his wife and most importantly his children.

I actually heard someone on one of the Sunday morning programmes
    expressing sympathy for Terry Keane's family as she was being portrayed
    as a 'floosy'!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Bit ropey at parts but ultimately very good. Nice one RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

It's been mentioned umpteen times on this thread that the gombeen back bencher who was standing on the toilet eavesdropping last week and was promised a ministry this week and then couldn't get out the door is an AN Other FF backbencher.

RTE describe him as such in their cast list (a link to which was also up on here recently)

Wrecks my head to see people asking the same question OVER AND OVER that was answered 3 weeks ago.

Charlie didnt actually build a sandcastle that morning only to come back and find out the waves had destroyed it... It was a metaphor...

:pac::pac::pac:

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

lightbulb1_280_879573a.jpg

you do know i was referring to the cinematography and how they handled it................. i was waiting for some fish to bite on that......

Skid X wrote: »
    It might have worked better if he was walking along the beach, then stopped to look at the sandcastle which was suddenly washed away by the tide. Something like that.

precisely. now that is a metaphor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

On the whole, I liked it. I found it amusing that for a house that size he always answered the front door himself, and always made his own phone calls. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Yes because he is suddenly hit with memories of his childhood on the beach

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Aiden Gillen, his performance of Haughey was laughably bad and tragic........and that's ignoring all the other ham acts around him

I thought that initially.. The first episode I thought was really bad.. but once you get used to him as Haughey, you can then just watch the drama progress instead of analyzing Gillen's every gesture to find fault.... In reality, nobody was gonna be able to capture Haughey's look and mannerisms much better than Gillen did..

The major faults I would have..
    * That random TD, who nobody knows, who probably never existed, and just got promoted!
    * Some of the Ministers were like cartoon versions of their counterparts.
    * The scene with Des O'Malley and the sword REALLY let the show down, and brought the credibility of the entire drama under question.
    * That traveller chap from Love/Hate.. The kindest way I can put it is he was miscast.
    * Maureen not shown once, the Dail not shown once, Maggie not shown once... they took some big shortcuts to avoid expense...

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Tony EH wrote: »
    I don't know too much about Terry Keane, other than what I've read and seen on the Late Late, but if she was anything like she's portrayed on this program, she has to have been one of the most appalling, obnoxious cünts ever to have walked the earth.

Insert sick smilie here --->

I don't think I could stand spending 5 minutes in that woman's company.

If her coloum in the Sindo was anything to go on then your not too far off.

Advertisement